Victorian Romance Emma: Second Act

ralphp2

Ubergramps
Victorian Romance Emma: Second Act
(a.k.a. Emma Second Act)

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

For those that love the Emma manga, and were saddened that Studio Pierrot wasn't able to finish the anime the first shot - they've got a second season!

Episode 1 wasn't in the manga, as far as I can remember - so I don't know how close they will, or won't, hew to the manga storyline.

But I don't care! Victorian maids, interesting character developement, gorgeious backgrounds and pretty music ... and if it does hew close to the manga,
skin this season!

RwP

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Emma Second Act

I'd watch it, but I still have to sum up the courage to finish reading the manga, I don't want it to end bad. Mori-sempai really broke my heart with Emma Bangaihen Chapter 2, first time a manga pushed me close to crying. I didn't know she could make something so sad.

is there solid proof there they will be making a second season. Hopefully US will get the license to distribute the boxset DVD

Err, the first three episodes of the second season have aired already. I think that should be fairly solid proof.

Two episodes subbed by iichan.

Almost none of episode 1 was in the manga, and episode 2 goes back into the manga about 75% of the way through it.

Interesting how they did it, however.

Emma is as pretty as ever - as is the lady of the house, a truly gorgeous lady as drawn.

Music is celtic versions of Season 1.

I'd say two thumbs up, but it's hard to type that way. Let's just say that if you like the manga and/or the first season, watch it.

Enough hints and foreshadowing in the OP and so far, if you'll pay attention to it B)

RwP

Episode 3 was not from the manga either - however, it's a good telling and helps set up the mood for either the manga ending, or an alternative.

So far so good.

Doesn't hurt much that I like the music wonderfully, the VAs are all excellent IMO, and Elenor is as cute as she can be.

RwP

Pfffft. I can't stand Eleanor. Liking the Hans, the dark-haired guy with sideburns. Hope him and Emma get together because William is annoying. Upper-class twit.

Overall, though, this anime is great. Romance seems to be the theme of this season.

Guys perspective:

Poor, poor Eleanor, being in love with someone that doesn't love her back.
Hans doesn't stand a chance. But William IS a young fool. XP

It seems like I need to get ep 3. Hell I haven't watched any anime in some time, damn games/job.

Episode 4: Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel sorry for Eleanor. BUT, she's still annoying because she's so weak, damnit.

I think her sister was also in love with Will.
Seriously, why is EVERYONE in love with this guy? I would have kicked him to the curb years ago and shacked up with Mr Brooding Sideburns. Yum...

Next episode looks like it's going to be a corker.

Ep 5: Another brilliant instalment. Heartwrenchingly romantic. Gushed throughout. William annoys me a little less, but that Eleanor... she's headed for 'crazy wife in the atic' if she doesn't stop being blind and CANCEL THE WEDDING!

Ep 4: >.< I seriously want to shoot William.

BTW, it seemed to me like Eleanor sister is "in love" with her sister.

Episode 5: Ep 5 was a great episode! Really met my expectations. But nooooo, Hakim LEFT! I LOVED him. He made everything so interesting. (sniff) He will certainly be missed. (and why is Eleanor's sister w/ him o.O)

I know Eleanor is not the most popular of characters and she's not mine either. I mean, I usually adore innocent characters (just look at Collin) but she's just so damn frustrating. There's innocence and then there's obvlivious ignorance in denial. OY, this poor poor girl. And damn Will for leading her on, what was he thinking?

When he saw her in the wedding dress and started to run after closing the door, was that suppose to tell us something?

Can't wait for the next ep and hope we'll be seeing more Hans soon^^ He'll soothe my pain of a missing Hakim. lol

Episode 7: Has anyone seen it yet??? AMAZING episode! So much revealed about Will's family, mainly his parents' past. Is it wrong for me to be attracted to Will's dad now? lol. I mean, wow! Richard was such a dish back in his day and sweet too! Think Will's charm, w/ a drop of Hans' gruffness. :love:(giggle) The episode really humanized Richard and showed a side of him never seen before. A definite eye-opener. The character development was amazing. Very very touching.

And despite his cold exterior now, not half as bad as Eleanor's dad. Remember the ep7? What a ****, the pompish snob!>.<

Still a little confused on why
Aurelia had to be sent away. Was it only b/c of her lung condition or also b/c society was too harsh on her? What was Richard apologizing to her for?
Notheless, I loved that scene--very touching.

Gwah, so much gushing. Hope the rest of you has seen it so you can join me in the gushing^^

Last edited by a moderator:

Purdy: I didn't exactly gush, but yeah I think this episode revealed a lot about Richard.
The thing is, I believe he apologised because his sending her away was not entirely innocent - I suspect he sent her away, firstly to help her get healthy, but secondly, to stop her embarrassing him in public. He may not be a cruel man but I think first and foremost he's a pragmatist. I think his wife suspected that too but didn't really protest because she didn't want to be part of that kind of society.

It's weird, I gush far less than I should because Emma is a very reflective and quiet sort of anime. It brings warm emotions and tense excitement, but not the kind of wild fireworks of Romeo x Juliet. That's not a criticism. I like it's pace very much.

I know what you mean when you say Emma's not exactly a gushy anime. Heh, but I get excited easily. I also never ever would've thought I'd like Emma to begin w/. It looked so slow and boring and I just checked it out on a whim. And load and behold, I'm love it. Its very rare for me to like such an anime b/c of its slow pace. Pace to me is everything when it comes to liking any movie or show so I was really suprised and glad that Emma took such a hold on me.

Gah, in my second last post, I mean episode 7. I've tried to edit it but for some reason it won't change(sigh) Anyway...

The REAL Episode 8: Well, I think its fair to say
Eleanor's inevitable reaction was equivalent to the you-know-what hitting the fan. Oy. That poor, poor, innocent little girl. Even though I keep thinking how foolish she was, she really couldn't help it having such a sheltered life. (groan) What the heck was w/ theh denial though??! I understand wanting closure but just denying it like that. Lord, so frustrating!
Damn it William!>.<

Hurray for alone time b/t Hans and Emma though!^__^ Finally we get some development between them and also know what Hans is really like. And huzzah for
the return of Hakim!!!
(DANCES):drink::smile::duck:

I hope I'm not the only person watching this anime^^; I feel silly being the only person writing in this forum (besides Vivi's Queen^^) Hello? Anyone there? Please?:(

Question:

I heard that Emma: A Victorian Romance first and second season have been licensed for distribution.

can anyone tell me who owns licensing rights, and when will it come out.

Back