New/updated features: avg rating and rank

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We've made a few updates that you'll likely enjoy:

1. The average rating in each anime and manga has been updated slightly to account for both rank and rating; this way, the avg ratings will be a bit more distributed.

Note: We plan on updating this even more in the near future - specifically, we'll only list an avg rating once a minimum number of people have voted (probably 10)

2. You can now hover over the avg rating star image in the anime/manga entry pages to see the exact rating.

3. Avg rating now shows up in the alpha lists for tag pages (anime and manga), and the browse anime/manga alpha lists. You can also sort by avg rating on those pages.

4. 'Rank' now shows up in each anime/manga as well; the number listed is ranked out of all anime or manga in the database.

5. Rank now shows up in the browse anime/manga pages. You can sort by rank as well (this is how you'd see a 'top list' of all anime - but bear in mind that until the avg rating is far smarter, the results might look strange for the top ones). Rank does not show up on the tag pages as it doesn't make a lot of sense to be there.

Known issues:

-When sorting by rank or avg rating, alt titles show up next to each other; this will look strange given there might be a few rows in a row that are the same (or show the same rank, etc). There's no easy way around this right now.

-Avg rating sorting will be inconsistent in the top results as right now, if 1 person rates an anime a 5 and there are no other votes, it now has an avg rating of 5. Once we update for a min number of votes or weight even more, this list will be more accurate.

In the meantime, if you've never bothered rating and are able to do so in a fair and balanced manner (ie, you don't rate everything 5 always), please start to do so! Many series have lots of status markings but barely any votes, which of course will skew the lists.

If you like these features please consider donating, as it's the only way we can continue to develop new things in the future. :)

there is no 0 - what you're seeing is the vote distributed differently to account for all of the series.

i don't understand it fully and we don't plan on listing our exact algorithm, but the general idea is the ratings are more spread out now.

Cool! Great new feature.

One question though- Was the vote weight ever implemented?

Can you make it so when you click Avg, it sorts descending first and then ascending (so that the highest rated anime appears on top)? Currently it sorts ascending first.

Last edited:
I generally don't rate a show until I have watched it from end to end. Does this mean that all those in my Watching/Stalled/Dropped are +/- affecting the overall average ratings... or have I missed something?

Note: We plan on updating this even more in the near future - specifically, we'll only list an avg rating once a minimum number of people have voted (probably 10)

:love: That would realy be nice, certainly with the ranking of the manga.
(There are a lot of manga's there with 5 stars and only one vote):...:

Could the newest number one on the anime rankings (currently Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2) be the first getting there pushed by fanboys...?

Not that I think the rankings are a bad thing, but this is/was bound to happen.

There is nothing we can do if that would be the case... we all can only hope it doesnt happen to often.

Code Geass R2 has always been the #1 ranked anime here ever since the rankings were put in. I doubt it has anything to do with any sort of concerted effort, but rather a simple matter of popular anime is popular. It's a Cartoon Network show, so it's likely getting 5s from that entire contingent of "anime fans" who have only ever seen the 5-10 series that have aired there the past couple years, plus a few ghibli films. I'd imagine it also gets a lot of 5s from those folk who vote 4.5 or 5 for 90% of what they watch as well. (and thus dodge the all-5s exclusion sothis says exists in the algorithm that will never be made public because people like me would pick at it relentlessly :P) And plenty from your everyday well-versed fans that did really like it; they're certainly out there too.

Though the budget obviously won't allow for it anytime soon, it'd be nice to someday see an option to look at some detailed ratings - i.e. average rating of those who stalled/dropped/finished, average from people with 100+ or 200+ views, and so on.

Last edited:
Could the newest number one on the anime rankings (currently Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2) be the first getting there pushed by fanboys...?

Not that I think the rankings are a bad thing, but this is/was bound to happen.

There is nothing we can do if that would be the case... we all can only hope it doesnt happen to often.

As Cetonis has already stated Geass R2 has been #1 since the rankings went up, as such it did not have the opportunity to be pushed there, it just happened to be #1. It isn't getting pushed.

It's a Cartoon Network show, so it's likely getting 5s from that entire contingent of "anime fans" who have only ever seen the 5-10 series that have aired there the past couple years, plus a few ghibli films.
Aren't u overstretching it a bit? I just don't get wha would those kind of laymen do at this base anyway.

As Cetonis has already stated Geass R2 has been #1 since the rankings went up, as such it did not have the opportunity to be pushed there, it just happened to be #1. It isn't getting pushed.

The new Haruhi movie was number one for a few weeks. And CG is really high on most site's rankings... so it isn't really something that only this site has a "problem" (if you consider it a problem...) with. Anyways, good work as always.

Oh, this thread is months old... didn't think to check the date since it was on top of site stuff.>.>

Back