xxxHOLiC Kei

Q

quikkid

xxxHOLiC Kei

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations Now!

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

More pictures from episode one in spoiler. Feel free to use them in the Anirec entry when it is added.
vlcsnap13678190to6.png

vlcsnap13679750ch8.png

vlcsnap13685769gz4.png

vlcsnap13686691pq7.png
Just finished watching the first episode of this. Definitely similar to the previous season, looks like it will be quite good. Doesn't look like the craziness is gonna end anytime soon for Watanuki.
Can't wait for the next episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: xxxHOLiC: Kei

Can anyone give me a spoiler hidden post about how the first season ended, I didn't see like..the last 4 or so episodes.

I didnt see those either because the series got licensed before all episodes were out, and I still havent gotten the dvds. However series 2 is still good to follow without knowing the end of series 1.

Can anyone give me a spoiler hidden post about how the first season ended, I didn't see like..the last 4 or so episodes.

Ep 21 - Nail Clipper
A hilarious episode about superstitions (at least the ones in Japan). They cover everything from, "if you don't wear your new shoes in the morning, but during another time in the day, you'll have bad luck," to "sleeping right after you eat, and you'll become a cow," and the infamous!!!! "Cut your nails at night, and you won't be with your parents when they die..." Yea...that's a first...>_>

Anyways, Watanuki doesn't believe in any of these superstitions, and ends up going against all 3 of those superstitions. The first just leads to him literally tripping on his shoe laces and face planting (which I gave a 9.5).

The becoming a cow was hilarious. He didn't literally become a cow, like you could see hooves (other than in his nightmare). But he did somewhat mentally. Where he tried going to school, but felt 500 lbs heavier, and even went so far as to attempting to gore Himawari, after becoming fixated with her red ribbons!

The last one, Yuuko made Watanuki stay at her place, and conveniently left a pair of nail clippers in his room. He cut his nails, only to almost get a hair cut by some weird scythe-like pincers that came outta no where.

In the end of the episode, Yuuko lectures him that people warn others through superstitions, and not actual warnings. Because if you tell someone not to do something because it'll lead to a supernatural occurrence, usually the person will call you crazy and do it anyways. Watanuki also reveals that he did believe once in his life. He hid his thumbs whenever he passed by a graveyard or a hearse, and he never cut his nails at night...but his parents still passed away...so he didn't believe from then on.
Ep 22 - Temptation
Watanuki is drying laundry in the front yard, when a lady passing by laughs at Watanuki (because he's the dork that he always is). Their conversation is interrupted by a phone call, apparently Yuuko and Mokona are out of town on business. And they'll be gone for a while, so Watanuki can have the upcoming days off.

While walking home, Watanuki being the typical Watanuki (making faces and fuming over stupid things) bumps into the lady again. They go to the nearby park, and talk a little. He gets to know her, the lights dim and some Barry White plays to set the mood :drinking:...:...: Alright, I lied, they go to the park, Watanuki finds out that the lady is still brooding over her sons death, and that she's very lonely. Knowing the feeling of losing a close loved one himself, he starts to comfort the lady, and sort of grows a mother/son relationship with this lady. Telling her what happened at school, to making her lunch, and spending all his free time with her. She even says that if her son had lived and grew up, that she would imagine him to be a lot like Watanuki.

Meanwhile, he starts to come down with a nasty cold, coughing and even passing out at school. Doumeki ends up carrying him to the nurses office, where they dim the lights, play a little Barry White....Actually Doumeki is concerned for Watanuki, and tells him to carry the pipe fox with him.

Watanuki heads back to the park, the lady tells him not to over exert himself, but he let's her know that he wants to spend time with her too. She checks his forehead to see if he had a fever, and it brought back a nice little flashback of when he was sick as a kid, and his parents would check his temperature the same way. He tries to play it off, that he can fend for himself, and that he has a thermometer (making it sound like he didn't miss that memory of his family). She hugs him and lets him know that he's a good kid. Real touching scene :crying:

Watanuki was nearby, so decided to stop off at Yuuko's, the phone conveniently rings, and it's Yuuko. She knows that he's sick, and she tells him that it's because he is seeing that woman. He coughs up blood and passes out...

aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddd end scene...quite the cliffhanger.

Ep 23 - Choice
Part 2...
So he awakens to the 2 girls dragging him to the entrance of the house, where Doumeki takes Watanuki to his place and lets him sleep. You find out that Doumeki got a call from Yuuko, warning him about what Watanuki is doing and the lady. That if he keeps seeing her, he will die.

Even knowing this, Watanuki goes to see the lady the next day at the park. She sees that his condition is getting worse, and tells him that the past few days were wonderful, but that they should stop seeing each other, and she quickly scurries off (<--- Would've been ran off, but you can't run in a kimono :!!:)

While at home, Watanuki dreamed of the lady (or had a vision) and saw that she was crying. He staggers to his feet, and goes out to the park to find the lady. At the park, she tells him that, as she thought, the more he saw her, the worse his condition got...Watanuki tells her that he knows, that he still came to see her. That if she's lonely, it makes him feel lonely too...

Doumeki finds them both in the park, and from his perspective, she is transparent, and not human. He shoots his spirit arrow (whatever you call it) at her, Watanuki jumps in front of her, but at the last second, she moves in the way and takes the arrow. As she's moving onto the next place, she tells him that she took the arrow because she's not lonely anymore, because Watanuki was there with her. That he had someone who needs him, and doesn't want to lose him.

Watanuki blacks out again, wakes up to Yuuko's house. They let him know that he'll be okay (she's finally home). She tells him that Doumeki didn't want him to die. They finish the ep with Watanuki trying to hit on Himawari again, and, to Doumeki's surprise, he invited Doumeki to lunch too... (So he didn't hold a grudge against him)

As you can tell, these were probably my favorite 2 episodes of the series. My retelling is no where near how great these episodes were! :smile:

Ep 24 - Reminiscence
Last episode was a flashback of Watanuki when he was in 6th grade. He didn't have many friends, since he could see spirits and weird things that no one else could. Everyone felt that Watanuki was weird.

Until he's chased by an arm (that's right, an arm chases him...:...:) to the river, where he meets a boy that saves his life; and the boy can see the spirits too!

The episode shows some of the things that they did as friends, and explains how Watanuki knows about the spirits, and can somewhat differentiate between them. He finds out that he can get rid of the lesser spirits by using salt (something that the Japanese feels has a cleansing ability) or that spirits don't climb up Cherry Blossom trees.

In the end, saddening once again, Watanuki finds out that the boy is actually a spirit himself. That he had died 7 years ago (on Watanuki's birthday, April 1st) by those very same arm spirits (yea, that took away from the mood of the story...). As the boy is fading away, he gives Watanuki a piece of his bone, that he can use to fight the spirits.

Watanuki admits that that bone has saved his life in the past, but that it has long since turned into dust. They end the season with Himawari, Yuuko, Doumeki, Mokona and Watanuki eating a bbq dinner/birthday party for Watanuki...that he has to cook...

Also, some screenshots from those episodes...

Episode 21
bscap0004.jpg

bscap0003-1.jpg

bscap0005.jpg

Seriously?! How old are those?!
bscap0006.jpg

Episode 22
bscap0011.jpg

bscap0013.jpg

bscap0008.jpg

bscap0007.jpg

Episode 23
bscap0014.jpg

bscap0009.jpg

bscap0010.jpg

bscap0016.jpg

bscap0015.jpg

Episode 24
bscap0017.jpg

bscap0021.jpg

bscap0018.jpg

bscap0019.jpg

bscap0020.jpg

bscap0022.jpg

bscap0023.jpg

Just finished the second episode and things are getting interesting. I hope that the story remains more continuous like it is so far. I felt that the previous season was a bit too episodic for the type of show it is.
Hopefully we get to see more of the goldfish eating Cat Girl. :p
picture1yo7.jpg

I really like the second season of xxxHolic. I watched 4 episodes now and I already like it much more then the first season. For me this will be a series to look forward to this season!

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the 1st series and the movie! Gonna start this tonight! Just heard it was out today. <3 the Witch! Gotta love a girl who can drink!
-Justin ^_^'

Just watched up to ep 5 and I am very please. In a way it feels very different to me then the 1st series but still has some of the roots there. I liked season 1 music better but season 2 music is growing on me. I like how they go back or talk about the characters from season 1. I <3 the pipe fox! Wanna see more Cat girl too.
-Justin ^_^'

Most of this series has been pretty bad so far. I mean a few of the episodes are ok, but so much boring filler...its just crazy I hope it goes somewhere.

I adored series 1 and was overjoyed to hear of a second season. I'm loving the second series just as much, though it is making me want to re-watch the first series again. Made me remember why I fell in love with it in the first place. The first couple of episodes of this series I thought were really good!

Like when they play Mahjong for an entire episode... sweet no? I actually didn't know there was a first season to this at all. What's the difference in name? Even jumping in on the first episode of the second series you kind of get the idea of what's developing. I really like this anime though.

If somebody doesn't mind, can you send me a post on my profile with the name of the first series so I can check it out, maybe have a better clue for wtf is going on.

I'm actually getting a little bored by the second season. I just don't feel it's going anywhere, there's too many mediocre fillers. Still, this is one of my favourites, and this season has nevertheless had some good eps too. Watanuki's constant uncontrollable anger towards Doumeki has also started to seriously annoy me.

I just finished episode 11. In my opinion Kei is much less episodic than the original. It feels as if the entire first series was back story leading into Kei where major problems between the main characters begin to arise.

Episode 11:
After episode 11 you can clearly tell that Himawari is either maliciously attacking Watanuki or doing so inadvertently. Whenever she touches Watanuki bad things happen to him involving the part of his body that she touched. I.E.: Dropping the carrying towel and realizing that there is a corpse in the 2nd story window of the abandoned house. Also when she touches his shoulder in episode 11 and he falls from the 2nd story of the school building when his shoulder bumps a window pane and it falls out. The episode ends with a cliff hanger when Himawari confronts Watanuki inside of the shop but the real question that still remains is if she is doing these things to Watanuki on purpose or if it is inadvertent. Regardless she seems to be aware of it now and episode 12 should prove to be an interesting one.

Ahh, I am so interested in watching this, but people keep telling me its boring, but then again I get comments on how good it is.. What does everyone else think? =o

Yeah, I've been disappointed in the subbing speed, but there's definitely worse sub speeds out there. Although I really do want to see the next episode desperately.

I'm actually getting a little bored by the second season. I just don't feel it's going anywhere, there's too many mediocre fillers. Still, this is one of my favourites, and this season has nevertheless had some good eps too. Watanuki's constant uncontrollable anger towards Doumeki has also started to seriously annoy me.

I agree. To me it just seems to drag on. They have the same stuff different ways, over and over. For instance Watanuki's hatred toward Doumeki is really getting old.

On a brighter note. Mokona is really funny. I think she is the only thing that keeps me watching the show, her and Yuuko.

Back