Armored Trooper Votoms

Episodes 1-2
Got to pity those guys with pink mecha (and the fashion sense of our post-apocalyptic punks in general). Really liking the series so far - the military's mixture of venal corruption and casually brutal torture is only matched by the civilian authority on Chirico's shattered homeworld. Overall a pretty cynical and grim take on the genre, and I don't mind that at all.

Falling asleep in the familiar womb of the mecha is a nice touch. Chirico doesn't seem to be a man with an identity beyond his mecha, moral compass, and an entirely vindicated distrust of authority. If seeing a naked woman (apparently some kind of military experiment - there's something I haven't seen before) is all he needs to go on the warpath against the establishment, then he may have simply been looking for the opportunity to do so.

Episodes 1-2
Wow, those were some really intense episodes! This series really starts off with a bang. The music and pacing were just so good that I felt completely absorbed in their world. I think I'm in love. That was quite the beautiful scene when he fell asleep inside the mecha. This really puts me in the mood to watch more old school anime.

Last edited:
OMG. I did not get time to watch it last night. Will be catching up today. Sounds like I have a treat ahead of me. :D

[insert obligatory VIVI PLEASE DO THE ENTRY begging text here XD]

Episodes 1-4:

What a dark, grim, and fiercely cynical world! First betrayed, tortured, tossed aside, and then all that stuff with the Boone Family on a planet with red acid rain no less... Jesus. In light of that, I agree, him falling alseep in the womb of the mecha was rather delightful - it's the only moment when he seems a bit calm. Episode four feels rather truthful when it implies that the only thing Chirico is wholly at peace with nowadays is battling and killing.

Anyway, love the character designs, love the fiercely cynical world, and enamoured with the opening theme. In my head, I keep comparing this to Zeta Gundam - let's see how this show carves its own way through war and politics.

Episodes 3-4
The themes do kind of remind me Zeta Gundam also, it feels like this one might be a struggle for survival or tragedy of war story at its core, both themes that are of great interest to me as a viewer.

Episode 5-6:

Quite incredible. Every event seems geared towards pulverising every last ounce of Chirico's humanity and trust. At the same time, I get this sense that the story is just sort of milling about until he gets a chance to meet with the mysterious woman again. Despite all the interesting encounters, I'm not getting a sense of direction with this one yet. We're only on episode six, so I'm not saying it's necessarily detrimental, but neither am I finding anything to hook me permanently.

Episode 5-6
I felt exactly the same way actually. But to be honest I'm not too worried about the direction this one is headed in because after reading a few reviews I have come to learn that there are four main story arcs, and I have a feeling that they will reveal the mysterious woman's identity in a timely fashion (or at least I hope they do anyways).

Oh! Four, eh? A bit like LOTGH.

I'll just use this space to talk a tiny bit about Chirico. At first I was concerned that he was entirely too humourless, you know, never talking unless it was to grind some banal response through his teeth, dead-pan eyes, stoic in the extreme.

But then I started considering his narration - as a narrator he doesn't have that same dead tone of suppressed trauma. He sounds reconciled (with himself?) more than anything and as if he's had time to mull over what it all means. And then there's the fact that, despite all the shit that's happened, he actually does seem to care about what happened when his team turned on him.
When he meets the police chief, he asks him directly what it all means and he seems desperate to get to know that mysterious woman.
He's still got a purpose for himself even if he's seemingly churning with mistrust and cynicism.

I'm actually quite impressed with his characterisation at the moment. I briefly considered how I was feeling at this stage with Zeta, and Votom's characters seem mentally more balanced, which makes them more convincing from the onset. Is anyone else wondering whether this show might actually have a slightly more mature target audience than Zeta's?

Oh! Four, eh? A bit like LOTGH.

I'll just use this space to talk a tiny bit about Chirico. At first I was concerned that he was entirely too humourless, you know, never talking unless it was to grind some banal response through his teeth, dead-pan eyes, stoic in the extreme.

But then I started considering his narration - as a narrator he doesn't have that same dead tone of suppressed trauma. He sounds reconciled (with himself?) more than anything and as if he's had time to mull over what it all means. And then there's the fact that, despite all the shit that's happened, he actually does seem to care about what happened when his team turned on him.
When he meets the police chief, he asks him directly what it all means and he seems desperate to get to know that mysterious woman.
He's still got a purpose for himself even if he's seemingly churning with mistrust and cynicism.

I'm actually quite impressed with his characterisation at the moment. I briefly considered how I was feeling at this stage with Zeta, and Votom's characters seem mentally more balanced, which makes them more convincing from the onset. Is anyone else wondering whether this show might actually have a slightly more mature target audience than Zeta's?
Well this series predates Zeta, it's "story" is more aimed at the High School and College kids that had propelled The original Gundam and Ideon to cult status. But alas, it was still just a cleverly disguised kids show. I might be wrong, but I imagine it's time slot was early afternoon. But yes, I feel it was aimed at people who wanted to see mecha that were very realistic.(this is the guy who came up with gasaraki years later, stubby smaller mecha)
So:
No super machine, no "hero' machine, more like Macross. Carefully developed machines that are vulnerable to destruction. You will see real feeling of military situations in the Jungle.
Anyhow, I will admit that Mobile Suit and Zeta, did have to sell a zillion toys, so that might have had a part to play in audience. It might also explain why the animation is so poor getting less of a budget. It is not nearly as fluid as Macross that is a year older, or Zeta which came later. More on par with Moepeada.
You assessment that it feels more like LOGH is accurate.
Chirico always reminded me of many a man who did not talk about war after they got back. Not having trauma, but instead just a real approach to it all. He is less on emotional outrigger
unless wanting to find a chick. ;)
He has plenty to be serious about.

Is anyone else wondering whether this show might actually have a slightly more mature target audience than Zeta's?
Well I would say it definitely does simply because of the fact that in Zeta the pilots liked to have a lot of unnecessary back and forth chit-chat during battles; it felt like they were going out of there way to appeal to teenagers at times.

I also find Chirico to be a fascinating character, I was quite surprised when he...took matters into his own hands.

Episodes 7-8:

Looks like Chirico's learning to loosen up a little. I mean, that was something bordering on a smile, right, when they discussed their plans for stealing the jijirium? Incredible. He looks ever more the bishie with every episode. That blue hair is so hot.

And I don't know if I said this before, but the OP is pure awesome. They don't make themes like they used to. You know, stuff you could sing along to and get all nostalgic about. *sigh*

And thanks, Funkgun. Yeah it seems the first big sign of kiddification has shown up with
the Prototype turning out to be just some super soldier. That's so... Gundam. But still interested in how/if they might spin this differently.

Episodes 7-8

Yes I wonder how they are going to deal with her as a secret military weapon. I was a bit underwhelmed with this new development of the woman being some type of super soldier, they could have taken so many different routes with this mystery and have made it so much more interesting, but maybe I was asking for too much.
And I don't know if I said this before, but the OP is pure awesome. They don't make themes like they used to. You know, stuff you could sing along to and get all nostalgic about. *sigh*
I'm liking the outro myself, very classy.

I wonder what happened to all the others that were planning to join us for this buddy group? Seems like we lost a lot of people.

Episodes 9-10
I'm really liking the sense of adventure that I get from this series, it's interesting just to see the characters exploring the world. Why the police go to such drastic measures to catch Chirico is beyond me though, I do not comprehend. And just once I would like to see the bad guys actually get to keep the loot, you know? For a second there I thought they were actually going to keep the gold. What a foolish thought, I should know better than that.

Episodes 9-10
I'm really liking the sense of adventure that I get from this series, it's interesting just to see the characters exploring the world. Why the police go to such drastic measures to catch Chirico is beyond me though, I do not comprehend. And just once I would like to see the bad guys actually get to keep the loot, you know? For a second there I thought they were actually going to keep the gold. What a foolish thought, I should know better than that.

They sort of did keep a bit of it by stealing it back. I thought that was funny. I am also liking this team-building thing that's happening right now. They remind me a bit of the Bebop crew, with their ad hoc sort of cameraderie and schemes that never bring them wealth. And if I am permitted a bit of gushing, man Chirico is hot - the fact that he might be getting some emotion back makes him even hotter. That blue hair and the sharp crystal eyes... yum.

But yes, I also agree the police's obsession with Chirico is a bit much at this stage. They're blowing a lot of their resources on getting hold of him. However, doesn't it have to do with him knowing exactly how corrupt they are? Then again, it's not like he can go to any higher authorities and report them. Meh.

Last edited:
They are definitely starting to remind me of the Bebop crew as well, good observation.
And if I am permitted a bit of gushing, man Chirico is hot - the fact that he might be getting some emotion back makes him even hotter. That blue hair and the sharp crystal eyes... yum.
Hehe, I don't know what it is about Coconna, but she has that same sort of sex appeal, maybe because of the sharp contrast between her pink hair and blue eyes, or maybe it's because of that strange-looking outfit shes got on. The whole cast of main characters are all very colorful, I really like the style. Vanilla is rockin' that orange afro and tight green outfit, Chirico's got that stand-out blue hair and red outfit of his, and then there is Coconna with her pink hair and baby blue circusy-looking outfit. Heck, all the characters in this anime have a pretty cool look now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Lol. Coconna looked like she'd be annoying at first, but I'm really enjoying her innocent devotion to Chirico. Sure, she's besotted, but she's also a shining star of goodness among all that cynical crime. I admire your good taste, Dunky. Lol.

Episode 11-12:
Wow. Chirico and Proto One's first meeting was quite nice. I really like the explanation for his and her attachment to each other. Basically, she accidentally imprinted on him (which is pretty logical) and he sort of just felt a connection to her since she's the only mystery in his life left. No doubt that's just an excuse to spin out a Romeo and Juliet story, but I do admire them at least trying to make it all seem a little less contrived. Amuro Ray and Lala Sune without the airy fairy bit.

The only part that felt a little awkward was when he randomly gave her a name without thinking. Like suddenlys houting 'Fyana' doesn't make sense. Hopefully, that's the name of his mother or something.

Episode 11-12
Well, I'm glad that there's a reasonable explanation for them being so attached to one another, interesting that Proto One may see Chirico as her creator. For a super soldier though I would think that she would be much more powerful when it comes to battling.

Yes, it was quite strange just to have him randomly give her a name. The word 'Fyana' must mean something more to him, otherwise it just wouldn't make much sense at all.

Back