Berserk

VivisQueen

Berserk

Synopsis, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual chapters and first impressions of this manga here. Full reviews should be posted here.

So I've finally caught up to the current volumes/chapters, and I've got a question:

Is Griffith evil or what? He's saving all these people, doing all these heroic deeds uniting demons and humans under one peaceful banner... and yet I keep remembering how he came to be, with Caska's horrendous rape and all. I'm quite confused by the moral positioning of the protagonists.

Oh, and the artwork is fucking amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Berserk Manga Discussion

Hmm, I'm not really all that confused, just a bit aggravated that the latest chapter taking 4 months to come out :...:

I see Griffith as very evil and will stop at nothing to have his Kingdom. He'd also stop at nothing to kill Gattsu, but... here's the thing, the last time Gattsu even encountered a force ordered to specifically kill someone, it was at Schierke's tree home in the forest with the witch where Gattsu gets the berserk armor.

Here's my question, what will Griffith do once he has his kingdom? Will he stop and rule it peacefully.... or will he want more then just that one kingdom? Also, will the remaining Kushan army join Griffith's demon army? or will they become rebels hunted until they're kind is wiped off the face of the earth (after the Kushan emperor dies of course, which will happen in a couple weeks)?

My other question is, once Gattsu and crew get to Puck's home, will the king willingly let them stay, or does he already know they're coming? Does the island even exist still? If the king lets them stay, will he know what to do about Caska and if they do try bringing Caska back to normal, will she want to in the first place, remembering the hell she's been through the last 3 or 4 years on top of Griffith raping her surrounded by demons with Gattsu watching in horror?

My next questions are for you Vivis :smile: What do you think of the new Gattsu Company? I love little Schierke, she's adorable and the kid is a riot. And Gattsu has aged sooooo much because of the sacrificial mark, it stinks really :crying: Anyways, I'm done with my long post, there's more questions I have regarding the future of Berserk, since it's my all time favorite story ever but I'll hold them back for now :laugh:

Also Vivis, if you want to read another amazing story with artwork that is simply stunning, start reading Vagabond. It's a historical fiction on Miyamoto Musashi and how he came to be. It's very very detailed. It's my secondary favorite with Claymore being after that.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I've read that missing chapter. I certainly haven't read the prototype.

The reason I'm confused is
because since raping Caska, Griffith's been absolutely perfect. I don't actually understand why he raped her in the first place if his only desire is to rule the world by looking the pure hero to everyone. It's the change in methods that bewilders me a little; the guy is fostering peace and unity, for god's sake.

Quizap has a very good point regarding what Griffith will do if he ever manages to conquer the world. That'll certainly be interesting. I think his rule would be okay if left alone, since he has no need to be oppressive - his charm alone will sway everyone. What I think is that Griffith will not stand for it because of his personal vendetta - which is fair enough considering the manner in which Griffith came to be so powerful. While a good ruler is fine, it's not fine if the good ruler came to power raping others.

Quizap: Urm... maybe it's just me, but the more Gatts ages/wears out, the more I fancy the pants off him. Hahaha. He wears hardcore weather-worn looks very well.
I do like the team, although I'm not too keen on how there's so many of them. It's been a long while since we last encountered the heroes so I can't remember very well who is in it anymore, but I remember there were too many characters. I just want Gatts to get Caska's normal personality back, cause she was a great character. Now she's a little annoying and pathetic.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I've read that missing chapter. I certainly haven't read the prototype.

The reason I'm confused is
because since raping Caska, Griffith's been absolutely perfect. I don't actually understand why he raped her in the first place if his only desire is to rule the world by looking the pure hero to everyone. It's the change in methods that bewilders me a little; the guy is fostering peace and unity, for god's sake.

This is the reason to your first question:
Griffith raped Caska to spite Gattsu. Gattsu and Caska were eventually going to leave and Griffith noticed they fell in love through the tent he was laying in while recently being rescued, hence his drastic measures to "run away." When he went down to Caska as Femto, it was out of pure hatred to Gattsu, they're eyes meeting confirmed that because Femto was completely oblivious and emotionless to Gattsu screaming and cutting off his own arm to save Caska.

Zodd's warning in the castle is also a big confirmation on the spiting between them. Gattsu did, in a way, completely ruin Griffith's dream and crumble his ambition to move on? (I think that's what he said) by leaving the Hawks when he did. Had Gattsu waited until Griffith wed Charlotte, who the hell knows where the story would be now, hell, the whole story of Berserk could of been over at that point in time.

Like I said in my previous post, there are WAY too many what if's and different stories that could come out of Berserk with where they are now. I just wish Kentaro would make more chapters in a quicker fashion.. I mean, the story is only 300 chapters in and the manga started in 1987 :crying:

I do want to hear your opinion on some of the other arcs after the eclipse though, like the Tower Arc (can't remember what it was called) or the first initial story before the Golden Age Arc started.

We should do a buddy group and watch Berserk again! It'd be like my 50th time watching it but I oh so will!

You know, my memory of the various arcs are very vague, I've been reading this manga for a year now, with several months between now an dthe last time I picked it up.

By far, my favourite arcs is definitely when Gatts first joins Band of the Hawk, befriends Griffith and all that happens there. Basically, the part covered by the anime.
Some of the journeying with Gatts and Caska is also good.

I have found, however, that recently the story's kinda veering off into a direction where I'm not sure wht's happening or where it's going. As if the creator's making it up as he goes along. I feel like there's no key theme or idea holding it all together. However, it's only dropped marginally in quality, with the weakest arc being
the one with the Arabic looking dudes.

I am seriously looking forward to them getting to
Puck's country, though. FINALLY.

As for a buddy group, hmmm... maybe. It wouldn't be anytime soon since I have way too much to watch. But you know, this thread is kinda like the manga buddy group. Looking forward to more discussion.

Really?
I think it's quite obvious.

Guts is a Byronic hero.

Griffith will do whatever it takes to rule. I don't think he's concerned with morality.

Did you read Berserk v13 c83 The Missing Chapter, the chapter that was later removed by the Author's request because he though it spoiled too much of the ideological viewpoint of the story?

Also, did you see Berserk Prototype, the Berserk oneshot/pilot where Griffith is (minor spoiler)
a girl

I just read this and that article..... simply amazing. Gattsu IS

Every

single

one

of

those

characteristics.

I applaud thee for educating me on that.

Berserk 303

FINALLY~
The Skull Knight has returned! And he cut down Femto? That makes no sense to me. I don't think that's the real Femto, I think it's one of Femto's abilities to mask appearances; or, Femto is capable of being born multiple times in the world as Griffith.

I hope we get to see a Zodd vs Skull Knight battle again. That'd be awesome.

It's out!??? *goes to get her some*

EDIT: -_- Dude, I think it was just a flashback, that's all. Nothing actually happened in this chapter. Beh.

er, for some reason I'm under this impression.

Isn't the griffith on earth not femto? I thought that caska's child became that griffith as a separate from femto. I thought the purpose in the rape was to rebirth griffith. Perhaps the earthly griffith isn't evil? I'm not sure how I came up with this...perhaps I need to do some re reading.
I'll have to look into it.

I'm having quite the hard time understanding this chapter. It's as if Femto knew this was going to happen long before it occured.

304:

Oh god, what was this? It was a lot of big pictures without ANYTHING happening. And okay, understand this whole
Femto/Griffith idea semantically, but I am quite confused when it comes to connecting them meaningfully. So did Griffith turn back into that ugly black hawk-like thing? Or is that Caska's aborted baby and Griffith is actually good? Or what?

Because I swear the fugly rapist hawk thing actually physically turned back into Griffith... didn't he? GAH!

304:

Oh god, what was this? It was a lot of big pictures without ANYTHING happening. And okay, understand this whole
Femto/Griffith idea semantically, but I am quite confused when it comes to connecting them meaningfully. So did Griffith turn back into that ugly black hawk-like thing? Or is that Caska's aborted baby and Griffith is actually good? Or what?

Because I swear the fugly rapist hawk thing actually physically turned back into Griffith... didn't he? GAH!

it hurts the brain doesn't it? You'd think after 18 years they'd allow it to make some sense...:frustrat:

earlyer spoilers:
i dont beleve caskas rape was purly out of spite for gutts. later he used the gutts's/ mutated baby/ hellspawn as a vassal to enter the human relm. so wile it was an evil act that really pissed gutts off, it was more so a "stepping stone" to his castle. but he did do it in front of gutts intentionaly.

i also dont believe giffith wants to kill gutts no matter what ether. as it stands gutts is a barrier to his dream that will have to be removed. but he'd rather of recruted him, sence he would have been "useful." unlike the witch that just needed to be destroyd.

as for griffith being evil, i dont think hes inherintly evil, he just does what is necissary to get to his dream, evil acts included. and will stop at nothing to get there. with no regard for morals...

So in your view, Griffith is amoral rather than evil.

I would rather count the two as similar enough that the distinction doesn't matter. But it's an interesting view, nonetheless.
I agree about the rape/baby thing.

So in your view, Griffith is amoral rather than evil.

*goes off to wiki "amoral"*.....yea pretty much, but i guess to completly agree with it i have to see more, but thats how i see it so far...

really looking forward to seeing what griffith plans to do with his throne

watched the anime a second time and finished it sunday, thin read the whole manga (first time) this week, great story....my eyes hurt ><

kinda sux to be a chick in the berserk story lol, if your a chick you get raped at some time, if you survive the raping, u live to get raped some other day...that you may or may not live to get raped again...
iv noticed not to many old ladys in berserk....
also there is ALOT of phalic shaped demons lol peny monsters!!

Last edited:

kinda sux to be a chick in the berserk story lol, if your a chick you get raped at some time, if you survive the raping, u live to get raped some other day...that you may or may not live to get raped again...
iv noticed not to many old ladys in berserk....
also there is ALOT of phalic shaped demons lol peny monsters!!

Yeah, first thing that struck me. Berserk hates women like some crazy woman-hating... thing. I'm most annoyed about
the way Caska's ended up. Her character should have been treated way better and given more awesomeness. Her pathetic insanity actually makes her annoying now sometimes.

Honestly, will this manga please, please, please return to awesome story-telling and character development? PLEASE?!

Honestly, will this manga please, please, please return to awesome story-telling and character development? PLEASE?!

You forgot to add in the come out more then twice every 6 months!

This is how I see it. If you go into her shoes:
You're chasing after the person you've most admired your whole life only to see him in a river bed try to kill himself after being rescued. Soon after, the sky grows dark and the landscape changes with weird monsters spawning everywhere. Then, Griffith disappears in some strange massive hand while at the same time watching all of your friends being torn to pieces and eaten alive while you, yourself, is trying to stay alive as well. A little bit later, your close friend Judeau comes in and tries to run you out of there but ends up dying while taking many many blows for you.

Then, a little while after that, you're snatched up, clothes ripped off about to be ripped in 2 from the navel upwards only for Griffith to finally hatch and rape the hell out of you while the man you've finally given yourself to watches in horror.
Sorry for the graphic quality, but that's the lightest I could make it. I, honestly, would be insane as well if I witnessed all of that and had those things done to me.

We just have to wait and see what the fairy king has to say about all this, and that's if they even let the sacrifices on the island in the first place.

OR

Here's an interesting what-if. What if they don't find the island and end up sailing in a big circle back to the mainland only to see it completely changed into Griffith's ideals with demons and humans working amongst each other. I'll be pissed if that's the case but either way, it'd be interesting.

What blows my mind away is that Miura was inspired to make Berserk after reading some of Guin Saga. I just recently learned that.

@vivis yea they should have just made her like super patheticly emo or something, not retarted

@ quizap lol yea gutts might turn into the bad guy
when he shows up and starts murdering apostles after they become integrated lol

but sence we are requesting things from the writers: PLEASE K I L L Puck

Last edited:
Back