Beta testing is underway. V3 launch date set, and help us finish remaining features!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Hello! I realized today I never followed up on the last news post about beta testing - beta testing is now taking place and all the awesome new V3 features are being fixed so they're ready to go for launch.

And speaking of launch, I have a hard deadline (from our advertisers) that I can't miss for the beginning of July - this means V3 will be up in a matter of weeks, no matter what... we'll have to cut features if the date arrives and the site isn't done.

So, awesome news! Expect a shiny V3 full of fantastic new features, upgraded old ones and more in only a few weeks.

The bad news is, because V3 isn't up, we are still dead in the water for getting new advertising revenue in (this will change once the site launches). Some of the awesome new features (including a custom blog system complete with site tagging) have cost a lot more than anticipated, and at this point I'm not sure if we'll have enough to finish the work left over the next few weeks.

I don't have an exact amount as I'm not sure if other features will overrun the cost I had associated with them, but if you're able and willing to donate towards getting V3 up so we can be sure to launch with everything, please consider doing so! The paypal address is donations [at] anime-planet.com, and there's a button on the bottom of all site pages.

I may have to launch an official 'get V3 finished' donation drive, so you might see a separate thread on this soon.

Anyways, hooray for V3 launch, hooray for the beta testers, and hooray for you helping us have the $ to launch, if you choose to donate! ^_^

Re: Beta testing is underway. V3 launch date set, and help us finish remaining featur

Hehehe. Some good features coming up.... ;)

And I'm happy to donate towards anything that needs it. Is there some donation drive coming or just whenever?

Re: Beta testing is underway. V3 launch date set, and help us finish remaining featur

right now it's whenever - i'm hesitant to start a donation drive without a target in mind, i just know there's an extremely high chance we're going to fall short of what's needed to finish v3 in a few weeks. we could badly use some extra padding right now so i stop stressing about cutting little tweaks that i know help the features run better - it's that tight right now ;_;

once i have a spec for custom lists that's the point i was going to post an 'official' drive, but i'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants with how much work is left. though i know major features left, lots of little things keep popping up in the process of finalizing all pages that were forgotten or are bugs, and that's taking away from the remaining small amount of $ left for V3.

so yeah - if anyone has been thinking of donating and is on the fence, please do so! all $ is going straight into v3 work, and the beta testers can attest to how much awesomeness is being built :)

The awesomeness is certainly there :)

I feel privilidged to be part of the beta team, and helping iron out those annoying bugs so everyone can enjoy v3. The wait will definitely be worth it, even if every little thing isn't finished, the site still looks amazing :D

H.

Done! Money's in the e-post! ^_^

Let's give some of these features a little boost, eh?

Once again I feel myself uttering those seven dangerous words:

Fuck it, I'm already in my overdraft.

:smile:

my deepest appreciations to those who have donated. basically as a perfect example of proving why this is such a shaky time for having enough funds to finish v3, one of the last remaining features just went over by ~4-5 hours what was available for it. so basically, almost all of everything donated in the last 2 days (including tychon's uber generous donation) has now covered that overage (and only that overage)... but who knows what other overages will happen in the next 2 weeks.

if anyone else is on the fence, please consider donating so we're able to launch for sure! ^_^ v3 is really awesome and i know everyone is gonna love it once it's up - we're almost there.

(btw: in the rare event that we finish v3 with funds left over, they'll go straight into 3.1)

Is the launch date a secret, or is it posted somewhere that I didn't notice?

Also, will new manga entries be added with the introduction of V3? I know people have been working hard but there is still a ton of manga not in the database.

Also, will new manga entries be added with the introduction of V3? I know people have been working hard but there is still a ton of manga not in the database.

This thread should give you some idea of the manga that are in the process of being added at the moment, while this thread here might be useful to you if you're able to help add them.

Then again, I think you've already posted in both, so that's most likely old news to you =).

In terms of manga entries appearing on the site proper, EVERYTHING is currently taking a backseat to V3. Everything, including new anime entries and the placeholders for the new season which kicked off this week.

the bottom line with manga submissions is that a good 60-75% of what's submitted by people other than our site reviewers or long time submitters, basically, ends up requiring so much editing (and/or has flat out wrong info, or doesn't contain needed info such as how many vols the synopsis covers, thus wasting the mods' time going back and forth with questions) that it's faster for a few of us to just do them ourselves.

laggy, yes, but id rather take longer getting high quality entries up, than put up a lot of stuff i don't trust, quality-wise.

if we get a bunch of super high quality synopsis writers on board manga will go up faster. otherwise please continue to be patient. all info on AP is hand written and must be edited - but again, with the very low percentage of manga submitted that ends up not requiring a huge amount of work, odds are manga will take a long time to go up.

v3 is coming, but please be patient.

Back