Forum/Site merger: do this if you want to keep your forum acct

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Hi everyone,

We're looking into moving the forum software to XenForo and also doing a massive purge before we make the migration. Also, this means that we'll have single accounts for both the site and forum, and it opens the door for many more integration features moving forward.

As step 1, we're giving everyone some notice about your forum accounts. To help link the accounts and not start over from scratch, we will have to have some pretty strict guidelines in place so we know HOW to link the accounts. So, please read the following carefully:

Sometime soon, we will do the following (and will re-run these scripts right before migration as well)

1. We will delete all FORUM accounts that haven't logged in in the past year. To avoid this happening to you, just log into your forum account once

2. We will delete all FORUM accounts that don't match the exact username/email address of a site account. This is because over time, forum names have been taken that are already taken on the site, or vice versa. You MUST change your site/forum accounts to match (username, and email address). Otherwise, once we run the script, all forum accounts that dont match will be removed.

Email changes must be done yourself - ensure that they match on both the site and forum. If your forum or site name doesn't match the other one, request a change here. Username requests made after this point (for awhile, so we can get through the merger) that don't have anything to do with making them match will not be done, so please only reply if you are trying to save your forum account.

:drinking:

Hi guys, there's no need to reply here with saying your account is ok - if you have any questions about the process please post them here

What kind of integrations can be made by merging them?
Just curious about what we can expect to come :)

2. We will delete all FORUM accounts that don't match the exact username/email address of a site account. This is because over time, forum names have been taken that are already taken on the site, or vice versa. You MUST change your site/forum accounts to match (username, and email address). Otherwise, once we run the script, all forum accounts that dont match will be removed.

Both my accounts match, but what will happen with differing passwords?

Both my accounts match, but what will happen with differing passwords?

PW will get plowed over with what's on your site account, likely. hard to say until we do the merge. To be safe you might want to set them to the same thing

What kind of integrations can be made by merging them?
Just curious about what we can expect to come :)

I don't have the time to come up with a comprehensive list, at this time we're focusing on planning the project and announcements will be made later on as the project continues

Safe.

The main site didn't show what e-mail address I used so I just changed it into the one that I used for the forum despite it probably being the same to begin with. It might be helpful to see on the mainsite what your current e-mail address is when trying to change it. Eitherway happy with the new forum engine, I'm already somewhat familiar with xenforo and a few many other forumengine types and I liked xenforo's abilities albeit I did find it slow back then, it's quite a while ago that I used it.

Looking at it now it seems to have a different colour theme than I remember,

https://xenforo.com/community/

Interesting, regardless.

one thing to check emails match without actually changing is just post a comment on your own profile on the main site (and delete it afterwards...) and then either just subscribe to forum updates on a active thread/have someone mail you on the forum,
Should alerts come to the same email, you are sorted.

Alternatively, search your inbox for when you registered xD

Name wise im good though, had my stuff sorted some time back, i like the idea though, it is kind of nicer to know who is who on both forum and site instead people having multiple names.

I feel like 1 year is to short a time, I know I often dont go onto some sites for over a year, I know people that stop by here only once a year, so they are at risk.

But man, this has been a long time coming, there is so much that can be done with this, Im excited. Going to miss the forums if they get changed, while there are a few issues, I am quite fond of what is here.

When you say exact, do caps matter?

likely we wont check for caps but it's a really good idea to change it anyways

re: a year, it's true that some people might not have come back, but we have to do a cutoff at some point, and the only thing that'll be lost is forum posts. Technically there will still be two accounts, but it will be seamless to you guys - it'll seem like one account. This means that the join date, all of that in theory will match whatever is on your site profile.

I think I'm safe here.
Question: Will the new forum software support a (non-hazardous) "Like" system? That'd be pretty amazing.
(I cannot emphasize enough how huge an improvement it would be to the forum in terms of user retention and engagement)
From what I gathered, there wasn't really any such thing for this current one because it is so old.

Last edited:
I think I'm safe here.
Question: Will the new forum software support a (non-hazardous) "Like" system? That'd be pretty amazing.
(I cannot emphasize enough how huge an improvement it would be to the forum in terms of user retention and engagement)
From what I gathered, there wasn't really any such thing for this current one because it is so old.

no idea, i'd have to check what's available on XenForo (either natively or via plugins)

A quick search shows that xenforo does have a likes system (it appears to be a built in function), and that there are a number of enhanced likes systems addons available for it.

...And the age of this vbulletin software isn't why we currently lack a likes system. We had one for a while, but it got removed with the VBSEO addons when they became a security issue. I don't know if the likes one was part of the vbseo or if sothis just removed everything to be on the safe side or what the exact story is.

Back