Bokurano

Cetonis

Forum Moderator
[sadht]Bokurano[/sadht][sadhl=1154]bokurano[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

hmm.... basically wondering if people are watching this; it appears to be getting about zero attention, yet it seems to me that it's among the best this season. Does nobody else like it after watching, or is the general synopsis too uninteresting for people to pick it up? Curious....

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bokura no

I started watching it, like the first episode, found it uninteresting and then forgot about it amongst all the other stuff that I was watching (and coursework mayhem). I'd pick it up again just to see if it improved, but my gigabytes are quickly disappearing. Lol. I think the premise itself was interesting, albeit a tad 1980s.

Possibly the best series this season. Very dark and sometimes gruesome, what more can you want?

hmm... yea, I guess the first ep really does tell you nothing (I had been clued in by a NewType preview beforehand) Anyway, the way it goes is:

Spoiler for not technically revealed until ep4, but inferrable at ep2 and the real premise of the series:
Every time one of the kids defeats an enemy, he/she dies just about immediately.
Adds a rather interesting dynamic to the series...

The series is basically about death and how a bunch of kids cope with it. I like the series largely because of the character dynamics and the way that each character is unique, and definitely not afraid to show an evil side of them (as with Narutaru, you're never quite sure who you're meant to like or dislike). Watch episode 2 if you've watched the first - that gives you more of a flavour of the series.

I can see why you thought this anime should have far more attention. It's highly original, actually. A bit Lord of the Flies, in that it's revealing some ugly sides to humanity.
Kodama deserved to die.
He was really pissing me off with his 'chosen one' bullshit.

I also think this anime is brilliant for filling a massive gap in the mecha genre - namely the issue of civilian deaths. Let's face it, one Gundam fight probably kills about 50,000 people. Giant mechs apparently fly into empty buildings and deserted homes, and gutted shopping malls. But in real life... Bokurano drove it home when
that beatle mech tried to avoid destroying the city.
You think the enemy's nature depends upon who's sitting in the pilot seat?

Yeah, loving that OP now.

Episode 7 and 8: I swear, the only characters more fucked up than these exist in NGE - hence I did a rec for it. But watching this anime, there is no joy, only confusion, and sense of impending doom and entrapment. Dung Beetle really freaks me out. Whoever did the voice acting for him is a genius.

Vivi's Queen: Well, if you have read/watched Shadow Star Narutaru (from the same author) you wouldn't be surprised at all. And you can bet it will get darker and darker XD

I'm a fan of the manga, so i kinda know what's coming up, and am also following the show on raws.
Current subs have it up to Chizu's story, which in manga is FAR more drastic and gruesome... still, i like the anime, they definitely are doing good job, even when they're taking out 99% of physical, person-to-person violence out.
Definitely my fav this season.
If you like the anime, do get MangaScreener's scanlation, and read slowly, as anime progresses.

Related.

I, for one, hated Narutaru (and not because it was gruesome, or disturbing, more because I just thought it was a terrible show (I've not read the manga, and don't really care to)), so I'm leery of actually watching the show.

Related.

I, for one, hated Narutaru (and not because it was gruesome, or disturbing, more because I just thought it was a terrible show (I've not read the manga, and don't really care to)), so I'm leery of actually watching the show.

Oh yeah, I think Narutaru was very poorly directed. However, the storyline was quite a catching one, and if the direction had been any good for the series, it could definitely have become a very good series (perhaps it'll be remade someday).

I'm a little perturbed by the fact that the director of Bokurano hates the source material - while I can see that some of his decisions will make the show more watchable, I can't see how it makes any sense to use a director who hates what he's working with. This could be one of the best series ever made - I think perhaps the director's unwillingness to accept the creator's vision hinders that.

I can't see how it makes any sense to use a director who hates what he's working with.
Doesn't matter IMO. He doesn't hate what he's working with - he only hates the original model.

He can for example hate some ways of the original and is planning to make them different.

I can't see how it makes any sense to use a director who hates what he's working with.
Doesn't matter IMO. He doesn't hate what he's working with - he only hates the original model.

He can for example hate some ways of the original and is planning to make them different.

ive now seen through 9 of bokurano, and i have to say it's fucking amazing! gantz with kids, basically... with a little eva and narutaru thrown in for good measure. honestly, it's the best rec for gantz out there, period (elfen lied might win for gore, but not for everything else).

really really liking this one.

just to semi-resurrect this thread. I've seen up to episode 16 now and it really is a fantastic show that's kinda flying under the radar.

I love this show too. I've been watching it since it was first released and I'm up to ep. 17 now. I must say, Dung Beetle is one creepy character. I love the way his voice sounds. I think 14-17 are some of my favorite episodes so far because you find out more about what the hell is going on and there's actually some info on Dung Beetle.

Back