Character Database - a progress update

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Since I know how important it is to know where your hard-earned money went, some updates :)

A team of people are diligently continuing to input character information in the fully-functional admin panel - we have about 800 characters inputted at this point (with basic info), and image functionality was brought back online last night, so those are starting to be added as well. Descriptions are being added by some of the site reviewers and eventually those will open up to community submissions as well (likely after the db launches)

None of the front end (ie, the part you guys will see) is done yet, given real life other priorities (the front end work is not funded at all by donations and is done for free). However, there's time scheduled for it starting this monday. The front end work includes:

-updating the advanced options dropdown for anime/manga to include character filters
-designing and creating anime-planet.com/characters
-designing and creating a character search for /characters/, plus new styles/design for search output
-finalizing the design for the character entry pages (it's mostly done) and then coding it
-designing in the 'favorite' functionality into the char pages, as well as the personal profiles
-designing the 'characters' tab in each anime/manga entry
-creating a portal entry point into /characters/tags, as char tags will be separate from the all up tags

The good news is the back end for the front end (ie, functions to output the number of people who have favorited the character, etc) is pretty much complete, so once the design is finalized and coded we should in theory be done.

In the meantime, the extra time in between now and launch will just mean a more full character database of info.

Thanks for your patience! And expect a new donation drive thread soon regarding the next phase of this process - an updated staff database with voice actor functionality.

Wow, this all seems really cool and I'm looking foreward to the end product, I think it'll b very nicely done as with all the other features on this wonderful wonderful site =D

Back