[OUTDATED REQUEST] Iphone/Ipad/Android/Windows Phone App

Status
Not open for further replies.

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Originally we planned to make separate mobile apps - we've decided to build a responsive design instead that will work well on tablets and mobile. The initial V4 launch contains some of this functionality and we will continue to build on top of that moving forward.

Last edited:
Re: [PLANNED REQUEST] Iphone/Ipad/Android/Windows Phone App

Thanks Sothis. This is really something that I was hoping, I am really looking forward to it.

Thank you sothis, I have been eagerly awaiting this ever since the iPhone was released. I have some connections at an app company if you need any help.

Awesome stuffs. Once the time comes around to beta test or similar I'd love to join the group to do that, I've got both Android and WP7 devices ^^

I actually manage ok on my Galaxy S2 just browsing the site via the android browser :)

However one thing I will mention is that the only trouble I have is with the anime pages and the tabs especially characters. I believe it is to do with the the overflow:auto or overflow:scroll css tags handling on divs in webkit based browsers. But in short it doesn't let you scroll currently which means I can only see the first 3 characters at best and can't get further.

Not sure if there is anything you can do with mobile browser detection and alternative stylesheets as a temporary fix by just expanding the divs on detection of a mobile browser instead of having a scroll. I had a look at doing something similar at university for a web project and there are bits and pieces about you can use but I never bothered going very far with them. So good luck to your developers if they attempt it :)

But looking forward to when I can view the site in full on my phone :P

Looking forward to something like this :)

Even the Tapatalk plugin for the forum would make mobile browsing so much easier.

I've posted this on Facebook too. I'm a webdeveloper willing to donate my time for such an app for my favourite Anime related hangout :D so hit me if i can be of any help.

Thank you :D, I've been thinking about trying to get someone to make an Anime Planet app for the longest now! I'll be happy to download it! This is something I've been wanting for awhile now as I occasionally find myself wanting to check the site, but not near a computer. My phone suffices in most cases but I can never get the full Anime planet experience on the phone browser.

i'd really like to see this happen, just the other day i was wondering if we had an app or one in the works..

i'd consider even paying an undecided amount of dollar bills to acquire it in the App Store..

:drinking:

^You and me both. I'd definitely love to see some movement on this.

I concur with the previous two posts. If this project needs some funding, I would be willing to contribute to the cause, especially if we had a tablet version of the final product.

I agree with everything said thus far, an Android app would be a valuable asset for the Anime-Planet site, even if you charged $0.99 for it - updating my anime list via Android based browsers (Chrome for example) is difficult, because it seems to idle the connection after the page has loaded, meaning if I choose episode 7/12, or similar, the episode count won't be updated due to the idle connection state.

I tried using MAL just recently, while I do like that I can have rewatch counts as well as rewatched episodes that I'm up to so I don't lose track (that's a separate 'issue' though). Some of the third party developed Android apps are really well done (MALO for example).

That said though, I just can't adapt to the MAL site, the interface and layout is poorly done in comparison to AP - not being biased, that's just how it is.

i would be willing to put fourth paying for a app, i like having apps handy for when i am out travelling as it offers me a easier way to make use of the site and still keep to date with the site. i doubt people would complain paying a small amount for the app anyway.

Definitely would like to see one of these. I find myself updating MyAnimeList more frequently lately since they have an app for my iPhone, etc. but I really prefer Anime-Planet to it.

I agree with the above posts: very willing to pay for such an app, even in advance! I've been using AP for a long time for anime, but just started reading manga via an app on my Android phone. I'd love to be able to update my chapters without turning on my computer. I think that's the main feature I want: access to my want to read/currently reading lists XD Really hoping this thread gets an update soon! :balloon:

Hello there!
A friend of me and I recently followed a course at our university on how to create android apps.
Since we both love anime and we were looking for ideas and since there wasn't an app for anime-planet yet we decided we wanted to make one. We already made a little start before we saw that you already had plans on making an app. Atm we are kind of hacking our way in by parsing the website and reading it with a xml-parser. This is not efficiënt at all.
We were wondering if you wanted to collaborate with us to make an awesome app.
If so, did you already start on it or is it just an idea laying around?

the idea is in progress but coding isn't very far along - that being said please do not scrape content off of the site, it's against the terms of use because it's very taxing on the server.

we do plan to release an android app for sure - it will likely happen after the redesign, which will change all code on the site anyways and is planned for a few months from now

Well, I absolutely understand that scraping is not allowed, it wasn't really mend to be public. It was also kind of an experiment to see what android can and cannot do.

Do you have any ambitions to work together with us? We would love to help with creating an android app. It would be an awesome learning experience for us. Wouldn't it be great to release the app at the same time as the new website design? ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back