Hanamonogatari

Grrr I was looking forward to making this thread :flip:

Probably my most anticipated show for this season, and its only going to be 5ish episodes.

May 31st? oh come on. u got my hopes up and we have almost 2 months until the airing :3

May 31st? oh come on. u got my hopes up and we have almost 2 months until the airing :3

^This D:
when i saw this thread appear i thought it would be starting within a week or something (i don't usually follow release dates to well... not when you guys do it for me xD) so hearing it's not until the very end of May feels a let down :(

It's still not that far away considering it's not all that long since Monogatari S2 finished airing. It's only 5 eps long though ;_;

5983.gif

Episode 1

Well I quite liked this episode though I do miss Araragi.

Don't like this "Devil Lord" person much seems almost like the complete opposite to Araragi. Also, Kanbarus arm turning back to normal threw me for a loop. I thought Oshino said that it would take a while to change back, I guess a while to me seems longer than a year.

Episode 1:

well, that took a bit of a long time to watch mainly cus it took me some time to get used to the flashing text again after so long and having more flashing text than normal didn't help either,especially the first 5 minutes. now off to the episode itself
a lot of stuff was happening this episode, we get to know more about kanbaru's mother who seems quite cold which is quite interesting considering the connection she is supposed to have with kaiki. we also get to know that ougi is actually a boy which baffled me cus i can swear i say him in girl's clothes in the last season that being said, i didn't like him much when he was a girl and that's didn't change much now, he is just too creepy to be likable. it also seems araragi is quite a womanizer seeing how all the girl swooned when he was mentioned and i found that strange cus while i might understand why the main girl might like him i don't see why any of the other girls would. then came the main part of the episode when kanbaru meet that acquaintance of her (who i can't really remember her name) and while i didn't like her or her explanation for why she is doing the demon king thing i do get where she is coming from and it seems kanbaru does as well. last but not least we have kanbaru's hand going back to normal which i don't really have an explanation for atm but i am pretty sure it didn't go away cus the time has come or anything like that.
overall a really good episode as always but i can totally use more senjogahara in my life.

Episode 1-5 [ END]

Well, that was quite entertaining and quite catching mostly towards the end. It feels like they borrowed a bit from a prior story in the second season and most of you will know what I am referring at. But overall it was fairly touching and tragic. Truly it's pacing makes it probably better than most of the monogatari-second season in most peoples eyes but the lack of action and not very deep dialogue might drive people the other way.

The conflict this time was mostly one focussed on Kanbaru's mental state as well as explaining a couple of things on the way. Strangely he is returning without mention of the prior state of being that he was in last time we saw him his part in all this big through small in screentime in the end it amounts to whatever happened in this series.

Otherwise it really is just an emotional conflict for our female lead for this ova to meet. The newly introduced character is at a glance catching but in the end my impression of her wasn't as strong as I had hoped despite the story being build around her quite substantially however I was more than enough emotionally invested by the manipulations that took place on the screen that said subtlety there was not.

When he finally makes an appearance to close off delivering on nothing but a senseless ending scene, albeit I say finally but in truth he drove it this was when he drove the car. However, hair cutting fetish is back with a vengeance to make sure that no girls hair shall remain uncut for long. As one who likes long hair this is always not a plus-point but someone has to make material for hair cutting fetishes and it might as well be someone who loves doing it.

Overall I find this anime 4/5 worthy mostly because I am a sucker for drama even one shallow as this.

Last edited:
watched it...............dozed off over and over, missed too much dialogue for a verdict.....will have to rematch this again at some point in the future,

Finally making the time to watch this.
Took me a little while to get into the flow, and I haven't stopped to re-read any pages of dialogue yet, but I'm enjoying the feeling of bafflement - "where is all this going?"

ep1:
Kanbaru's meeting with a gender-bent Ougi was creepy, as every appearance by this ... entity (for want of a better word) is. Obvious troll ... "hey, did you hear about the demon lord granting wishes?" One wants to yell "don't do it!"

- Loved the bit when she mentions Araragi-san to her friends and girls pop out from all over wanting to know about him ... I never realized Araragi had such a following.
- Loved the dialogue with Karen as well.
- The scene with Rouka was strange ... clearly they never liked each other, but Kanbaru slapping her seemed unjustified especially since she wants a favor ...
And Kanbaru's lack of reaction to having her boob grabbed was also puzzling. Makes it seem like time was flowing backward ...
And shock: wake up with both arms normal? Where's the catch?

ep2: Good to see an old "friend" but ...
one can never trust anything Kaiki says, even if it's all literally true.
-Interesting that he admits she was right about him idolizing her late mother. But strange that Kanbaru herself has such negative memories of her. This finally explains the bit in Monogatari 2nd season when Kaiki says that he will take Senjyogahara's case for the sake of saving Kanbaru but not anyone else. They didn't explain that before, but this was more or less what I guessed.
- Kaiki going on about meat (miku, miku) made me wonder if Wooser is modeled after him ...
- Aha, the meeting was set up by Ougi so Rouka would have a chance to steal the monkey's paw, so it isn't OK for Kanbaru to have lost it ... is it just because of the demon that Rouka's trying to build, or because Kanbaru needs it?
- Glad that Kanbaru had the sense to take his card even if she didn't trust him. So Kaiki will her recover her curse?
- Oh, and I loved the text from Araragi following up "I'll have some of that" with "I was just joking, are you mad?" and the fact that Kanbaru doesn't bother to reassure him. I guess this will bring him around to save the day by accident in the later eps?

ep3 and 4;
Whoa, the new meeting with Rouka was awkward.
First, Rouka is now a beast on the court, powered by her borrowed limbs. I kept fearing a savage attack on Kanbaru like the one she unleashed on Araragi back in s1.
Second - the punked kiss was really awkward. I kept wondering why Kanbaru wasn't fighting Rouka off more - I don't accept "she really wanted it so she didn't resist" - but seeing her paralyzed by fear/demonic power was creepy.

Then tried hard to figure out why Kanbaru would run herself into exhaustion. Evidently this is the flaw of indecision - knowing she has to get her arm back but unwilling to face the ugliness?
The coincidence of Araragi being the one to pick her up (and not run her over) was a huge stretch.
I really liked their dialogue in the car - Araragi making sense for once.

And Karen reveals the big twist about Rouka.

Finally, Kanbaru confronts Rouka again, armed with a demon skull. That's not creepy at all, is it?

Anxious to see how this ends.

ep5 and wrap:
Tense buildup to the test of skill, one-on-one for all the marbles.
I didn't understand what Kanbaru had done at first - but it was explained. Pretty clever.
I liked the way she was consciously emulating her imagined Araragi: taking on impossible odds heroically.

The sudden transition to laughter when Kanbaru lands on Rouka was strange, and her thought "I probably should have kissed her" ... although partly explained by the epiogue. I guess we must understand that Kanbaru had really expressed physical attraction to Rouka back in middle school and had been harshly rejected. Was that the reason for the hatred? At any event, they could put it behind them and free Rouka.

The prolonged scene with Araragi had some gems, although they tried to cover it up with the unnecessary musings about his sister complex. I believed him when he said Kanbaru was more admirable than he was. At any event, he seems to be morphing into Oshino ... putting people's minds at rest with cryptic pronouncements, but giving them key guidance when it matters. And it seemed right that Kanbaru would cut her hair to return to basketball, and that Araragi would be her hairdresser. I missed seeing Senjyogahara, though.
A strange but sweet ending to a short series. It was not as dramatic as the Mono 2nd or Hanekawa arcs, but it was a good look at Kanbaru on her own. Worth watching again ... all the installments have yielded new discoveries with each time through.

Last edited:
Back