Romeo x Juliet

algelic

[sadht]Romeo x Juliet[/sadht][sadhl=1096]romeo-x-juliet[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Oh come on! This forum could be much more active if people actually participated in it! :drinking:

One of the animes I'm watching right now is "Romeo x Juliet". Just from watching the trailer I knew this was gonna be good. I mean, come on... GONZO! The people who made Gankutsuou (aka: Count of Monte Cristo)!

If you think this is just another lame Shakespeare lame adaptation... you're WRONG. It's so much more than that.

I'd say more... but I don't want to spoil anything. Tell me what you think!!

Speak you mind, people!! :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've downloaded the first (and third - don't ask) episode of it. Gonna embark upon this series soon. I deliberately avoided it because I thought it was going to be a Shakespear adaptation, but when I actually read the synopsis in Anirec, I was like 'Hmmm...'

Hope it's well done because the premise sounds great.

I sugested Lovely Complex and it turned out to be good, right? So you can trust me when I say RomeoxJuliet is awesome. ^^

Watching ep 1: Brilliant opening, wow!.... Really attractive anime style... Awesome, fantasy elements too!... sorry, what the fuck is up with the opening theme - isn't it that song Westlife covered?... Oh my God I love those flying horses! Red Whirlwind is AWESOME! More kick-ass ladies, more!... Ummm... why do they bother with the wig when they could just cut her hair?... Weird rock end theme...

So um... yeah, you're right. I like this anime alot.

I want to raise an important issue. Since this is to some extent an adaptation, does that mean watching it and enjoying it is like a macabre fascination with a train wreck? It is stunningly wonderful (I know because I'm watching it), but isn't that kind of sick when I know the end game results? It is like I'm a masochist looking to hurt myself with my disappointment at the end. I like happy endings by gosh...

There's so much difference between this and the original Romeo and Juliet that I think the ending might also surprise us. For one, Juliet was no freedom fighter. Even if the ending is the same, I think it's the journey rather than the destination that's important.

It's great that a different culture can reinterpret an ancient story in such a brilliant and imaginative way. Who gives a toss if everyone dies? Shit. Did I just ruin it? Lol.

I want to raise an important issue. Since this is to some extent an adaptation, does that mean watching it and enjoying it is like a macabre fascination with a train wreck? It is stunningly wonderful (I know because I'm watching it), but isn't that kind of sick when I know the end game results? It is like I'm a masochist looking to hurt myself with my disappointment at the end. I like happy endings by gosh...

LOL. Those were my thought exactly, when I first started to watch this. But I think I'd rather watch an AWESOME thing that I know will end in tragedy... than watch something that makes me hope will end well and then be totally disapointed! So far I really like this anime! ^^

So, um, do you want to go flying around in the rain a bit? Yeah? Alright. Woops, we're all half naked in some secluded little hut somewhere by a fire. Woops, I just fell on top of you. However did that happen?

Lol. Classic.

Oh my God! Sexy guy on dark flying horse! This is definitely getting better. Bishounen GALORE. *rubs hands together*

Episode 7: This kind of melodrama would work with NOTHING but Romeo and Juliet. Firstly, that's possibly one of the biggest liberties with a character I've seen with their reinterpretation of Tybalt. Christ, who knew he could be that cool? I seriously hope they don't keep him as Juliet's cousin because, let's face it, Romeo having competition would be SO AWESOME. Secondly... fireworks? Lol. In my head I was thinking: 'Okay, it's like they crammed every frickin' romance cliche I have ever seen into this one scene... SHUT UP! It's Romeo and Juliet, damn you! It's gorgeous! Yes but - Shut up, I said! Just enjoy the gooey lovey mushy feeling inside you as they seal their passion with a kiss!'

Almost makes you believe in knights in shining armour again.

LOL! Yeah!! Actually I absolutely looooooooved episode 7! The whole scene with the music and them chasing each other... and the kiss. Go romance! For once my mind shut up and didn't complain about the cliché (I swear... so far everytime they blushed or anything... my mind SCREAMED about how silly it was). When I saw Tybalt now... wow! My jaw totally hit the floor! Go dark-mysterious-knight-in-shining-armour! LOL

Cannot wait till they bring him in some more. The whole double-sword thing never fails. It's like saying 'That's right, I have TWO phallic symbols on me!'

lol. Yikes, the fangirling is definitely alive in this forum. I absolutely adore this series right now and ep 7 was defintiely enjoyable. But I can't agree w/ Lena Park singing the song in English. Really, in my opinion, the song was butchered. They should've just stuck w/ the Japanese version. It was a poor choice on their part I think making her sing a song in a language she obviously not use to yet. That or they could've made a better recording of it. (sigh)

Other than that though, very enjoyable ep. Vivi's Queen, I really have to disagree w/ your hoping that Tybalt will be romantic competition for Romeo. I love cliches as much as the next fangirl, but I think making a love triangle of the situation would be overdoing it. Its Romeo x Juliet for heaven sakes! lol. Plus you have Hermoine in the picture so I think its already done. Tybalt would be cool as the cold hearted but protective brother type cousin so I can't wait to see what they'll do w/ him. I do grant you that yes, he's definitely not hard to oggle at. Hehe ;)

Also, they should show MORE of Mercutio!! Come on! Originally, he's the most facinating character in all the play. I really hope the play him up some more.

Don't know who Lena Park is, but just rewatched the episode (well, about 20% of it - that's right the 20% that's the chase, lol) and her prununciation is nigh perfect. Maybe after Revy's (Black Lagoon) despicable attempt, almost any spoken English in anime sounds great.

I DO agree with you, though, that maybe Tybalt getting chucked into the romance bit would be too much. We already have fireworks with Romeo and Juliet alone - gods, imagine the explosives needed if there were three of them!

I thought Lena Park's accent was good. I liked her version of that song. Though I've never heard of her before (Lena, I mean).

I just saw episode 8. Oh no! Holy mother of clichés! Tell me that won't be a love triangle!!! -_- Though I felt kinda relieved that Tybalt conforted Juliet. He was beggining to look like a cool-blooded killer (though that priest had it coming!).

Can't wait for episode 9!!! :D

Actually Purdy, English is Lena Park's first language. She was born and raised in America, and it's actually Japanese that's her third language (her second being Korean). So I don't see that there are actually any issues with her pronunciation. It's one of the least Engrish songs I've heard in an anime.

Information on Lena Park: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lena_Park

Oh really? Not that Lena Park's english was bad or anything. In spite of having good pronunciation and everything, her accent was still very strong and I felt it didn't flow well enough. Plus, I think the scene would've been less cheesier if it was sung in Jap or just stayed instrumental. But I'm just picky that way I guess^^; Thanks for the info though.:)

You're thinking like an English-speaker. To the Japanese, I'd imagine it wouldn't have sounded cheesy at all (and in fact, I found it quite romantic, not cheesy at all). Her accent may be quite strong, but no more off-putting than Josh Groban's accent, I found.

Back