Food Wars! Shokugeki no Souma

BrainBlow

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Souma
Alt title: Shokugeki no Souma

Synopsis, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual chapters and first impressions of this manga here. Full reviews should be posted here.

This has personally become one of my favorite manga series already, particularly among Weekly Shounen Jump series, having marvelous and richly detailed art with excellent character designs and deliciously detailed food.
All the characters are varied and fun; Souma in particular has become one of my favorite manga/anime protagonists, being a well-written and highly likable character.
I heartily recommend this manga to just about anyone, even people who generally do not like shounen series!
r1v6.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Shokugeki no Soma (manga)

Chapter 7
Finally someone got around to translating this. About time.
Pretty cool, actually. We're given some superficial introductions to the other people in the dorm in a kinda casual and natural way that doesn't feel like the clichéd "now there'll be a slideshow of minor stuff happening each time this character appears in front of the main guy, just to get a sense of the character's personality" type of setup.
Names, temper, and some clues as to the preferred types of food. Good, we can get to know them from there.
And I LOVE how this is one of the all too typical "New guy is introduced to all the weird dorm people" chapters, yet Souma instantly fits in rather than being shocked/weirded out/disgusted by the other characters. Simple, yet weirdly original and so much fun!
:laugh:

Now, I think that the whole
"10 elite seats" thing sounds kinda retarded. Yes, it's packed with the "geniuses", but why the fuck would you make a pack of students the second biggest authority of the school?
:seriously:
But I won't mind as long as they don't just turn into yet another "asshole student council/axis of evil" thing.
Really looking forward to what's going to play out in the next chapter!

DÃ*n âm thanh karaoke, h? th?ng karaoke, thi?t b? âm thanh karaoke. T?t d?n xuân v? hãy cùng chúng tôi HoÃ*ng Audio l?a ch?n mua cho mình m?t b? dÃ*n karaoke ung ý nh?t vÃ* yên tâm không chút nghi ng? s?n ph?m du?c niêm y?t giá vÃ* niêm phong d?m b?o ch?t lu?ng 100%.

* B? s?n ph?m dÃ*n karaoke cho ngu?i thu nh?p th?p :
- Loa Komisound 106+ ampli jarguar 203N+D?u caliHVT+MIcro BBS 7
7.000.000 VND (t?ng dây+giá treo tr? giá = 300.000 VND)

^ Indeed, Mr. Spambot

Chapter 8
Yay, orgasmic reactions strike once again!
And Haruhi, I love Souma! This entire manga is riding on his coolness!

I just started reading and am up-to-date. You were right, this is a great manga. It is just really well executed.

Edit: I would also like to add that I love how the main character Yukihira is set up. He is very talented, but not perfect. As well as the fact that he is the only person at school who is not rich. This makes him a strong but still relatable character.

Last edited:

He's not the only "poor" guy there, but he's one of the few.
And he's one of the even fewer ones that will proudly proclaim their "plebeian" background in front of all the other students while telling them that they're just stepping stones for him.
But yeah, he's far more relatable, and he's generally just cool as hell!

I like how
Aldini is basically being set up as one of Souma's main rivals. I really like him now, and they are pretty similar characters.

Last edited:

Yeah they are really similar. I would say Aldini looks superior currently, but I assume that he will be outshined in this current competition between the two.

Last edited:

Chapter 18
Awesome chapter!
Souma was so darn cool when he said that thing about customers having to wait 15 minutes would go home!
:love:
I also like how Takumi wants it to be a heated match, refusing to accept winning by default! That alone puts him pretty high in my book, as I HATE "rival" characters that would be willing to resort to sabotage, which it seems clear that he won't do.
He's WAY better suited for the role than Erina!
Also, I loved that high five at the end.

I donated 25$ to the group to help.

Ah, upon re-reading once again, I pretty much noticed that Souma's catchphrase is "It wasn't much."
I too really like Megumi. She's a good character to relate to, especially for any who'd feel Souma being a bit over the top.
But she isn't some helpless idiot either, and she has her own forté in food making. She suffers from some level of "stage fright", but that is simply something for the character to grow on.
I really like her, and I'm glad that she seems to hold the position of "lead female", rather than that grumpy bitch Erina.
Seriously, why was Erina given the job of being an entrance examiner when she clearly and spectacularly failed at her job in the worst possible way?
Her grandpa is awesome, but Erina is a clear example of why Nepotism degenerates quality.
And since Tootsuki embraces meritocracy oh so much, I consider that to be kind of a big fucking deal!

I think we are just being set up to see Erina play a role where she will eventually turn the corner after being defeated in the Shokugeki.

I actually picked up on the, "It wasn't much catch phrase" the second time he said it. I wanna say that I impressed myself on picking that up, but I only picked up on it because it reminded me of Bakuman when they needed a character catch phrase.

On another note
What are the odds that Yukihira actually loses the duel?
-This would be his first defeat in a meaningful battle
-It would make the rivalry much better in the long run (I could see the two teaming up at some points)
-It would not set him back like losing a Shokugeki would (which I think he will lose one at some point)

I don't want to see Souma lose to Erina. Ever. I hate her guts.
But Souma will at some point need to come in contact with some setbacks. The question is, what kind?
The authors must be careful not to write themselves into a corner where it is essentially impossible for Souma to "lose" in something without it ending with his expulsion as consequence, because then they'd have to conjure up some contrived reason to avoid that.
Not that he NEEDS to have a token loss either! His dad was the "barrier" from the get-go.
Good writing > Token events/arcs.

It can be, say, something similar to in some battle manga, where there is not a direct confrontation with the "new force", but that they get to flex their muscles enough for the hero character to realize that he/she might not be able to beat the opponent as of yet.
Hell, I can imagine this being the case with other characters in the Polar star dorm such as Megumi.
Now I came to think of how most of the Polar Star dorm students will probably end up failing eventually.
I imagine that there will be like three or four characters tops that will make it to the third year.

But the character that really needs to lose is Erina!
She needs to be taken down several notches publicly.

Last edited:

I was reading Kangoku Gakuen just now, and then all of a sudden some character is making food, and is doing the same thing that Souma did in the most recent chapter, except with fried chicken rather than fish.
:megusta:

Obviously we have a cheap copycat on our hands.

For shame.
No, I mean the opposite.
The chapter of that series I'm talking about came out at least half a year ago.
Now, obviously, it's not like manga invented that technique for deep frying stuff.

Copying another's food is the highest form of honor when dealing with food... but I'm not sure about fake food.

Copying another's food is the highest form of honor when dealing with food... but I'm not sure about fake food.
eh, it's a real cooking technique, so I doubt it was taken from that series.

Chapter 19
Oh Haruhi, I love this gimmick with Takumi being typical shounen "cool" and then getting embarrased when reality comes knocking unfavorably!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
And I'm actually fine with this "draw" since she ended up beating around the bush like that hilariously, and gave that verdict mostly because she was rushed.
And damn, that was a sudden, highly demanding test that got pressed onto them there. They basically have 1 minute per dish, with a 10 minute margin of error for the whole thing! And of course, they managed to press in Souma's catchphrase.
And now he stumbled into bitchyMcbitchbitch.
My guess for what will happen: She actually uses contact lenses and has poor vision, but right now she did not have them, and mistakes Souma for someone else. Hilarity ensues.
Really, the only thing she's good for are those absurdly amusing analogies for what something tastes like. I want her taken down many notches so that qualities like that could stand out instead of her despicable and childish personality and behavior.
And it seems the scanlation group appreciates the donations.
:drink:

Chapter 20
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
Please tell me it's just a nightmare scene!! You can't do this!

nice chapter, some cool scenes, a useless page comes, I expect a simple ending, then :yunoguy: WHAT THE FUCK :flip: :seriously::crying:

I need a daaaaayum good explanation for this

Well the explanation is as simple as that guy with the glasses being a stuck-up douchebag.
The one I'm actually pointing fingers at is the author here.
Is he seriously going to have the main girl booted out already? What, afraid she'll overshadow Erina or something?
So I hope that this is either her having a nightmare, or that something happens that lets her stay.
This series is going to get significantly less enjoyable without her.

Back