Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

VivisQueen

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

I didn't see a thread for this one so thought I'd add it. It's a mecha 'possible future' sci-fi type anime. Britannia (UK) rules and oppresses Japan (renamed by the evil colonnial power as Area 11, and all the Japanese are called 11s).

Lelouch is the protagonist, and seemingly just some ordinary guy with a cool knack for strategy (he rocks at chess). He reminds me of the main character from Death Note... in the sense that he starts off seeming normal, then through a sharp twist of fate becomes quite a formidable, dark character. And I've only seen up to episode 2. I like what I've seen of the plot so far. Some nice twists already.

The animation is very Gundam Seed-ish: the mecha is all chunky bots on rollerblades (lol), big eyes of all sorts of colours and pink/blue/silver hair, bright costumes, and bold outlines. The character design is such that the characters look disproportionately skinny and tall. Not particularly distracting, just weird in an interesting sort of way. The world is designed in quite a basic, uninventive way e.g. block concrete buildings, with no real lavish twists on fashion or architecture. That's always slightly disappointing, but I suppose as long as they keep the politics sharp, it won't matter. I like the references to the UK e.g. a certain type of mecha is called a 'Glasgow' (ha!).

Worth following for anyone who enjoys mainstream mecha serieses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Code Geass

it's a great serie,

but didn't like the way they choose to colour things, that pink/blue/silver and many more sort of colour for hair is just weird for me,

Just finished watching episode 6. And it's very good stuff. Every time I look at the pink-haired Princess, I keep seeing Whatsername from Gundam Seed. It's quite disturbing, some of the similarities. But there you go, they share a genre, so that can't be helped.

Anyway, the plot itself is highly intriguing and hotting up fast. Lelouch gets better every second, and I'm liking Kururugi a lot too.

I don't know what that means. How do I help you add anime? And what do you want me to help you add it to?

NOTE: I am not a technological person.

even the screenshots would be great! :) and vivi perhaps you'd want to try a descrip? ;)

Episode 8. This is definitley FAR more than a mainstream mecha. In fact, mecha is very much a small part of the entire world.

It's a great political sci-fi. It's about the gruesome search for justice, the fine line between terrorism and revolutionary fighting, the pain of helplessness and oppression.

This is turning out to be one fine anime.

EDIT: It's funny, some of the issues it deals with I'm having to consider in my War & Massacre module. Wonder if I can quote Code Geass in the exam...

Last edited:

Yeah I am in the process of getting episode 9 now and I have to tell you this is looking to be one of the better anime in a while. This is one of those anime I have not even been able to wait for release. :P

Well it is a new series, so you might not have heard of it before. And yes, I would say it is really good. It has interesting if not completely orginal characters functioning in a well-organized world. There is a legitimate story. Ultimately, liking an anime is a personal choice; however, as far as looking at all of the general aspects like sound, style, and characterization... it has all the bases covered.

Finished watching episode 12. This stuff is hotting up. It's introduced a lot more violence-action to complement the politics, which is always nice. And finally a female mecha pilot who totally kicks arse (and doesn't irritate the hell out of me) in Kallen. That battle in episode 11 was bloody awesome! Lelouch is also deepening fast as a character. He's highly intriguing to watch. Like a slightly more intricate and sympathetic version of Light (for anyone watching Death Note). I totally love his Zero costume.

At this point it's obvious that there is going to be involved some other world/dimension/ancient race or something. At first I found CC quite annoying, but now, with her mysterious name, she's shot up several rungs on my 'interesting' list.

heh my anime club showed this recently (only got the first ep shown, and people were thrown off by it) but i gaved it another shot, and i'm definitly hooked

Episode 18 - sheer brilliant tense, action-filled entertainment. This anime goes from strength to strength. It's really found its stride right now. Cannot WAIT for the next episode.

PS. I think Suzaku Kururugi is a twit.

just so people know the reason why the characters are drawn the way they are is because the CLAMP mangaka are doing the character designs :P. come on people it's so easy to recognize CLAMP drawings when you see them ^^_.

anyways, i'm loving the show so far. i also can't wait to find out why C.C.'s name is so important. did anyone catch the fact that Lelouch calls C.C. C2??

talk about some messed up plot though, i just finished watching ep 19 last night and man this is some good stuff.

Is this show any good, because all I've seen on the web is lots of fan service, product placement and that it's targeted towards teenagers. I don't really want to see characters doing things because of teenage reasoning, which is made agreeable by how the audience is presented it. I know that it's a general trait of mecha anime, but I'm hoping for something original. Oh and it also seems to be manufactured according to a formula. Your duality, sub kindergarten romance, shock and aww for the sake of shock and aww.

Don't flame me for being ignorant.

Last edited:

When I first watched it I thought it was a slightly lesser Gundam Seed. And there are elements that really cater to that genre. But, by about the tenth episode it had superceded Gundam Seed, in my opinion. It is a MATURE anime. There is no teenage reasoning. Think of Lelouch as Death Note's Yagami Light only more... colourful a la CLAMP (lol). He is a deductive genius, a strategist.

This is a serious anime. It deals with themes of war I've been studying as part of my War and Massacre module e.g. at what point does the killing for the sake of a rebellion become unjustified, should one go with deontological or utilitarian interpretations of morality etc? And the anime is complex in its answers. Both sides of the argument have a REALLY good point, which makes it hard to choose which side you want to win. My way of dealing with the dilemma was to see which side had cooler characters - I'm going with Lelouch. Fucking hate Kururugi Suzaku.

Anyway, give it a go. It is well worth watching. For a sci-fi mecha anime, it is one of those rarities where the PEOPLE matter more than the machines. Yeah, you get some cool fighting, but the focus during the action scenes is on the DIALOGUE and the analytical THINKING of the people involved. This anime is a refreshing spring breeze blowing through the stagnant mecha genre.

Back