Kaiji

VivisQueen

Kaiji
Alt title: Kaiji - Ultimate Survivor

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Down-and-out young man with no money is roped into going onto a ship full of other down-and-outs and having to gamble himself out of his enormous debts. But the game is something quite unexpected and everybody is there out of desperation.

Ugly, ugly, ugly character designs. But there's something about the plot I like. Very similar sort of tone/atmosphere to Death Note, with characters who are desperate enough to do anything and morality is most likely going to take a backseat. Also similar in that a simple set of rules determine everything that's at stake.

Could be quite a corker.

Last edited by a moderator:
well it is done by madhouse, and base off the manga by Nobuyuki Fukumoto and also did Akagi. so we well see how it turns out

pretty intriguing first episode despite the awkward character designs. if they manage to pull the gambling part it might be really good .

It probably isn't going to be as awesome as Akagi, but it still seems pretty good. It's pretty interesting how different Kaiji the character) is from Akagi (the character); that in itself should make the gambling very different, but I hope they also keep the pace of the first episode. I don't know, but the idea of Kaiji (the character) in last arc of Akagi-like duels seems quite boring...

It took me halfway through Akagi to finally realize that what you hold is what's relevant and they you shouldn't lay down all your pairs and stuff for points. I don't think i'm ever going to really understand mahjong

Episode 3 was great too - I'm already used to the character designs now. I really hope this series can deliver on a stunning initial promise. Also, does anybody know how long it will be? With only 2 and a half hours left, I don't see this spanning 26 eps at all. Maybe 12?

Anidb.net states that the number of episodes is currently unknown. I can tell I'm hooked when at the end of each episode it seems like it ended way too soon. I expect the quality of the first arc will remain high, after that, we'll see..

Argh! I heard good things about this anime but the character design is just turning me off. Returnoffruitbasketbob2 only likes to see beautiful ppl in anime because its a reflection of himself. :...:

Episode 3 was great too - I'm already used to the character designs now. I really hope this series can deliver on a stunning initial promise. Also, does anybody know how long it will be? With only 2 and a half hours left, I don't see this spanning 26 eps at all. Maybe 12?

yes so far this seires is great, the character designs is odd. it fits the feel of the anime very well. i don't really see this one going 26, with the differents in character desings, and the subject i think they keep in as a short 12 eps

Yeah this series is totaly awesome, quite uniqe in the fall line-up.

And after you watched a episode or two you dont think about it being animated in a strange way, then you will be completley sucked in by the story ^^. Can't wait for the fifth episode!!!!

your intiial description makes it sound sort of like bokurano! :D

Ah, good episode 4, although not as amazing as the first three. More of a transition kind of episode.

PS. Anyone else loving the opening theme? Very Brit rock, actually.

I thought this was one of the better ones. Yeah but a bit of a built up.

It is actually a great show but I can't say it is the one that I am looking forward the most ,because of the animation ... I cannot see how Kaiji will be able to win this ''tournament'' or how he will manage to stay in the game . But it's anime so I bet he will.

Yeah, but the thing im looking forward to is to se how he will manage it,beacuase it pretty obvious that he will sucseed in some one.

I've been enjoying the series so far, but now we're into episode 6 and they still haven't finished the Janken tournament. If it drags on much more I may just drop this due to the incredibly slow story progression.

Have to agree with you on that, episode 6 was kind of a turn off.
i was hopeing they would continue to the next stage..

I've been enjoying the series so far, but now we're into episode 6 and they still haven't finished the Janken tournament. If it drags on much more I may just drop this due to the incredibly slow story progression.

On the other hand, the slow speed of story progession suggests that it's going to be a full 26 episode series.
[EDIT] Though I think maybe I'll put off watching any more until it's all released, I like to watch things in a clump when they progress slowly.[/EDIT]

Anyone else find it annoying when Kaiji makes dumb mistakes after having watched Akagi?

Back