Sound! Euphonium

Re: Sound! Euphoinium

KyoAni gained redemption points for me with Amagi Brilliant Park so I'll give this a go.

Though these school-girl club stories have been nothing but disappointing the past few years.

Almost the same artstyle totally means that it's like K-on
I mean, Isuzu had large breasts and Tachibana Mio had slightly less large breasts.
And Ritsu and Chitanda had the same voice actress...
Beyond the boundary sucked just like Tamako Market
Free! had guys doing things just like K-on had girls doing things.
Chuunibyou had smallchested childish girls just like K-on had Asuza...

At least this anime will be about girls and music so the comparison will be legit.

Very solid start. Characters are all very likeable, Tanaka is fucking awesome. Looks gorgeous.
KyoAni <3

well I just watched the 1st 4 mins of setup and I'll say this.......

Going in, It's pretty darn expected that this will initially be compared to k-on. It's kyo, it's focused on girls and music.

So initial comparisons are hardly forced. However if comparisons last after a few episodes I think i'd be forced. In 4 mins I already get a feeling that this is far different than k-on.

K-on had a far greater level of M.O.E. The characters still looked like standard elementary schoolers when they were graduating high school. were as in this show, they are highschoolers and look like highschoolers. It looks more like a standard kyo animation were as the k-on style was full fledged moe.

the second major difference is that while both shows feature music, This show looks like it has a plot and the story will be progressing with an actual pace were as k-on relied on it's uber cute element to keep viewers interested. Slice of ultra moe life. This show has already shown more male extras in 4 mins than I've seen in all of k-on.

I just picked this up to see what Kyo was so focused on that Nagato's anime had to be done by someone else.

Last edited:
Episode 1 -2

So far so good. The pacing and characterization is fairly consistently good to above average. The animation, voice-acting and sound design are all kyoto animation standards which means fairly high quality indeed. Certainly proving better than I expected.

meh....

events leading up to the main choosing the same instrument was kind of painfully structured. She separated herself from the annoying chick who quickly follows her from one end of the room to the next with her gigantic nose, and as she was finding old schoolmates, it was obvious that one of them would let the cat out of the bag so if she really wanted to switch, instructing them to shut the hell up should have been priority. If she's played one thing her whole life, they were obviously not going to be silent about her switching without direction.
and yeah, Saphire = best girl, just putting that out there.e

oh aside from my grievances, the show does appear to be heading in a good direction.

Holy freaking crabcakes, KyoAni. How big is the budget for this thing? The backgrounds looked freaking amazing, as did all the instruments. So shiny! Can't wait for them to actually start playing music. Also, Hazuki was right, the teacher is a total hottie.

And tootalls, pls, we all know that Tanaka is best girl. That's an objective fact.

This show is actually too cute (maybe the the right word is fuwa fuwa here), which is sort of ironic coming from me. It irritates me for some reason.

Maybe i just don't like kyoani girls. I didn't like k-on either.

It's undeniably gorgeous though.

Caught up with ep1-2. Undeniably pretty, good start on characterization and plot. There's more series to follow than I can manage this quarter ... although some of them are more out of stubbornness. I think this one will be fun.

Yeah to dig in I find the show interesting because there is a direction but not an obvious one.

For instance, our main character is in large, unreadable. She doesn't say much of what she's really thinking and her face always seems concerned of something.............Well her atmosphere kind of reminds me of the entire atmosphere of sora no method which did kind of stretch on the plot by characters remaining silent for too long, I hope that doesn't happen here. Anyways, in continuation, she Doesn't have a passion for competition, the euphonium or music in general..............as she didn't cast a vote, was interested in another instrument and was going to pass on the band all together.

So for her Euphonium is the show's name sake and she is the poster character, there is no indication on how either of them will be significant to the story.

The conflict itself is pretty straight forward, but I love how the show can go any way with it..........just hope it's a positive way.

Oh and I love that teacher, I can tell years of dealing with that indecisive bunch has burned that smile on his face while being brutal simultaneously. I get the feeling the 3rd years have earned the treatment he gives them. Sorry for the new band members entering the current mess of a situation.

Last edited:
First two episodes down many more to go I suppose. Actually this is one of the shows I'm really digging so far this season, I was interested but a bit nervous it would be a carbon copy clone of K-ON, and I liked K-ON sure but variety right? While this certainly shares some common traits with K-ON I feel like this will have it's own identity. As far as the soft slice-of-life shows seems KyoAni just has the touch to make them interesting.

As a former band player myself, the instruments are all well represented, I was actually a bit disappointed Kumiko didn't get to play the Trombone after all :P I may be just developing a crush on Asuka I just find her super cute for some reason.

Three episodes in. I wasn't expecting too much from another girls-school-idol-club-band anime either, but it's actually quite taken me so far. It's lovely to look at, the instruments are beautifully drawn, and it's just a pleasant easy-watching show. Sure, it's not ground breaking yet but, as someone who got the beaten up trombone to play at school, I'm enjoying it.

That solo was gorgeous.

ep3 - Aha, there is a lot more going on than I thought - this show just stepped up a big notch in my estimation.
It's not so much about the rift between middle-schoolers, it's that the whole HS band is living a lie. It's not misunderstanding, it's setting up a full-scale war between the slackers and the strivers, and the first-years are either going to be casualties of war or agents of change (one guess which way this goes.)
I now like megane-sempai a whole lot more ... she knows the easy-going club prez is full of it but instead of rebelling, she hides her anger behind manic good cheer. I think she'll become pres in another ep or so and some of the 2nd years who quit last year will have to be coaxed back as a massive purge takes place.... can't wait to hear the sound hit the fan.
The trumpet solo "From the New World" followed by a primal scream was brilliant show-don't-tell exposition.
So basically I think this is "Hoosiers" only with concert band instead of basketball.
I also like that the soft-spoken, good-looking teacher is much more a tough-as-nails hardass like Gene Hackman on the inside than, say, the Mr. Chips he seemed to be.
So we have a truly dramatic plot emerging to go along with gorgeous production values. I'm hooked.

Back