Space Battleship Yamato 2199

hoffstyle

Star Blazers 2199
Alt titles: Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

PV

Words cannot express this unrepentant Yamato fanboys excitement about 2199.

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 1
Battle of Pluto, the animation is absolutely superb. Episode one basically introduces the main characters and explains the Earths imminent destruction at the hands of the Gamilan Empire.

Some characterizations are very different from the source material. Kodai isn't hateful towards Captain Okita. Biggest change is Yuki Mori, very much more tsundere than I remember her.

Episode 2

Introduces the Yamato, putting together the crew from the Cosmo Force UN, and initial launch of the Yamato.

I may actually have to go watch Yamato now and ignore it's horrid age old animation.

This completely embarrasses the 1970's art style. The CG in this is excellent, and the animation is beautiful. Soundtrack isn't too shabby either. I love how they leave the original soundtrack virtually unchanged. I love the second ED.

^ Back in the 70's its animation was considered masterful for a weekly production made solely for a few thousand viewers, most of which were kids.

Just a few thousand? Kidding? Considering it was Bowdlerized and renamed for American television and is still a cottage industry in Japan..I hardly think it was just for a few thousand fans. Don't write off the impact this series has had on the history of anime.

Episode 3

Randomredneck will love this:
Details on the Wave Motion Engine and Wave Motion Gun. First Warp..and NO LSD trip warp sequence. Actually the warp scene was cool as hell focusing on the simple throw of a dart.

Floating continent introduced and first use of the Wave Motion Gun. Much debate amongst the crew about it's use and it's power. Yamato = surprisingly agile in it's mobility.

I may actually have to go watch Yamato now and ignore it's horrid age old animation.

You did not just say that. There is nothing wrong with its animation. In fact it's great. Leiji Matsumoto is amazing, and his work has style.

The 70s had many great shows, with GREAT stories and characters.

Just a few thousand? Kidding? Considering it was Bowdlerized and renamed for American television and is still a cottage industry in Japan..I hardly think it was just for a few thousand fans. Don't write off the impact this series has had on the history of anime.
All that happened after its original airing

You did not just say that. There is nothing wrong with its animation. In fact it's great. Leiji Matsumoto is amazing, and his work has style.

The 70s had many great shows, with GREAT stories and characters.

People still seem to forget this was a great decade for Sci-Fi anime. I still remember my homework going undone until Battle of the Planets (G-Force/Gatchaman) and Star Blazers were finished.

Episode 4

Engine core melting, Return to Pluto's outlying reach, Discovery of Kodai's brothers ship. Yuki begins showing interest in Kodai, and I am absolutely in love with the civilian medic Makoto Harada. They feel guilty about using the Wave Motion Gun on the floating continent, Captain bans it's use except in self defense only.

At this point there's a lot going on, yet it never seems to overwhelm. And they are doing a great job of characterization in the middle of all this busyness.

Episode 5-6

These two go together.
Attack on the Pluto base. Awesome tactics against the planet bomb relay system.

The more I watch, the more I cannot wait for the next release. This series will easily go down as a classic. So faithful to the material.

I'm up to 6 and it looks amazing. AIC and XEBEC made a good show; it is snowing somewhere in hell.
And that is why nobody talks about it and instead chat about hax skills in Sword Art Online.

For once I am in absolute agreement with Rori. This series has been absolutely amazing so far, and there is still quite a way to Iscandar yet. It was made with love and serious attention to detail.

And waiting for the next round of Blu-Ray to be released has been torture.

Looks like November for 7 to 10.

Last edited:
Came to this show after I saw it mentioned somewhere on psgels blog, and I must say that I am also surprised how well it is done, I really like it and watched all 10 available episodes in 2 days. I watched the old Matsumoto movie and a few of his series and he is not always a hit for me, as some of his antics annoy me like crazy, often a little more polish on a show of his would have created a much better product.
The soundtrack is as great as always for a Matsumoto show (o.k., this as remake but most music is rearranged and new music is done by the son of the original composer), I absolutely adore the 'Infinite Universe' theme.

They finally got around to dubbing up to 10 when they announced the series TV run begins when Magi ends, so I chose to wait so the anticipation for it would sweeten.

I am concerned about the way they have been releasing and broadcasting Yamato that not too many people have picked up on it..so I drop my plans to wait for someone to stream it and will marathon the rips that are available.

It's beyond me that no one is talking about this amazing reboot.

Back