Appleseed Movie

VivisQueen

[sadht]Appleseed Movie[/sadht][sadhl=793]appleseed-movie[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Started initially for Waste Your Weekend, but anyone is welcome to join in!

Basically, this movie was very entertaining, but not particularly amazing. The animation was ugly - imagine cheap PS2 graphics characters with the best XBOX 360 background CG that you've ever set eyes on - and I think it would have worked better with conventional animation. The story setup was interesting, but something about the execution came across as trite and cobbled together, as if there were bits missing from the original manga (no doubt).

However, there was one saving grace to this movie that kept it floating along nicely on a 7/10, and that was Deunan. From character design to voice acting, she was convincing, exciting, brilliant, and HAWT. My favourite bit:

Briareos lunges at her, and takes them both over the rails to save her from the soldiers. Calm as a spring breeze, she aims over his shoulder and BOOM! shoots that Nazi Youth guy right between the eyes. Awesome.

I found a new entry for my favourite female characters list. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Appleseed

I wasn't as impressed by either Deunan or the film overall but I did like it, of the various CGI intensive anime action films this and its sequel Ex Machina are decent watches and a cut above the competition.

I think the characters are really shallow and worse still boring, honestly, but the action's pretty cool and the plot's decently structured.

Re: Appleseed

Well, I think the animation is awesome even today (if you watch (pseudo)HD version at least). My favorite part is the night flight mission in this regard. Otherwise I agree with 7/10. Though I have to say there are not many movies I would rate higher than that (compared to series/OVAs).

just changed the title to appleseed movie to avoid confusion (as the original appleseed is an ova)

Nah, I just meant that the guy was blonde, blue-eyed, handsome, and wanting to wipe out an entire race. That makes him perfect Nazi Youth material, if ever I saw one.

Really liked the OVA but hate this movie. I can forgive lack of detail and effects (the old Toy Story or Antz) but not bad animation (Spirits Within, Appleseed). Everything looked unnatural and unbelievable. Motion capture sucks.

The script is weak. Lots of stretched "Mooommmyyyyy!" scenes.

That's about all I remember...

Yeah, the motion sensor stuff was a bit too much. Movement was smooth as, but the characters were horribly garish. The backgrounds were gorgeous though, especially the stormy water.

Yeah, the motion sensor stuff was a bit too much.

It was too little! For MOCAP you put an actor in a suit for a few hours and clean up for a few weeks. When the budget is gone you just say "it's real so it must be good" and stop tuning.

Contrast that with the years Pixar spend on each movie. They actually put a disclaimer in the credits of Ratatouille: 100% Pure Animation – No Motion Capture!

Now who sells better and won 2004's awards, Appleseed or The Incredibles?

Haha! The only way you could sound more indignant is to put your geek rant in German. Honestly, the 'too much' is just a turn of phrase. It just means I thought it was precisely the kind of cheap, garish addition the show didn't need. Because the characters looked so horrible (only Deunan actually looked sexy to me, and that's cause if I were a lesbian, she'd be my ideal woman, and I am seriously considering going lesbo for her), and the backgrounds so lush, the motion sensor just gave the whole thing that final stamp of tackiness it really could have done without. Hence I compared it to gaming graphics.

Like motion sensor The Sims but with Metal Gear Solid 4 backgrounds. Lol.

Now who sells better and won 2004's awards, Appleseed or The Incredibles?

Pixar are pretty much the leading giants of CGI. Nothing that anyone in Asia has done has yet to compare from what I've seen. And honestly even beside the animation The Incredibles is just a plain better movie - better written, directed, acted and scored. Who wins would be inevitable even if Appleseed were significantly better in its visual polish.

The only way you could sound more indignant is to put your geek rant in German.

Italics also help ;)

Höchstens untertrieben! MOCAP bedeutet Schauspieler im Strampelanzug für Stunden und Nachbearbeitung in Wochen. Ist das Geld alle heisst es "echt also gut" und man spart sich das Ausbessern.

Dagegen bastelt Pixar Jahre an jedem Film. In den credits von Ratatouille hat's sogar ein Siegel: 100% Pure Animation – No Motion Capture!

Was verkauft sich da wohl besser und gewann 2004 alle Preise, Appleseed oder The Incredibles?

And honestly even beside the animation The Incredibles is just a plain better movie - better written, directed, acted and scored.

(my comparasion wasn't serious)

And better designed. They referenced every Bond movie, and Lou Romano drew what Ken Adam couldn't build.

well seems like im the only one who thought it was brilliant...hd version was lovely and served only to increase my love of the genre . the motion sensor thing i thought was awesome (if only they had that kind of technology available when ninja scroll was in the works *sigh*) . story was a little tacky but compared to most "blockbusters" out there id say it was pretty good . one thing that id like to know is where's nr.3???
8.7/10
(anyone know of anything similar pm me)

ps. cant compare this to anything pixars done purely because pixar cant do the same , anime has a certain "flavour" that cant be copied unless pixar employ's anime wizards... :)

I certainly enjoyed the movie, it was certainly beautiful. But purely for the story, I am more of a Vexille fan. A lot of people compare the two, but I could see Vexille coming from a book of shorts from a sci-fi genious (Phillip K Dick, C Clarke or Zelazny).

H.

I certainly enjoyed the movie, it was certainly beautiful. But purely for the story, I am more of a Vexille fan. A lot of people compare the two, but I could see Vexille coming from a book of shorts from a sci-fi genious (Phillip K Dick, C Clarke or Zelazny).

-_-

Honestly?

Not that I didn't enjoy Vexille, but the writing isn't the best. It's really a big dumb action movie that papers itself over with some meaningful twaddle; I'd honestly say the Wachkowski Brothers come to mind a lot sooner than anything from sci-fi's golden age (and given the film's penchant for cool villains with sunglasses it's fairly obvious it wants to be the Matrix SO BAD); but whatever.

It is pretty and diverting though, don't get me wrong, and Appleseed isn't much deeper in the story department.

As long as we're comparing, let's hear some love for the Armitage III OVA. It's cool, sexy, fun, has an intelligently constructed plot (smart without thinking too highly of itself) and a truly kickass female lead. Deunan has nothing on Naomi, let me tell ya.

Last edited:
well seems like im the only one who thought it was brilliant...hd version was lovely and served only to increase my love of the genre . the motion sensor thing i thought was awesome (if only they had that kind of technology available when ninja scroll was in the works *sigh*) . story was a little tacky but compared to most "blockbusters" out there id say it was pretty good . one thing that id like to know is where's nr.3???
8.7/10
(anyone know of anything similar pm me)

Well I enjoyed it as well. But I read the manga. There is much more emphasis placed on how Deunan and Briareos adapt to life inside Olympus and the politics involved. Condensing this into a 2 hour movie was not going to happen They instead kept it simple, but by doing that, a lot of what makes up the characters complexity is lost.
This was, however, head and shoulders above the clunky 88' OAV adaption.
The action was good, the soundtrack had some thumpy beats and a simple storyline.

When you asked for recommendations. I am not sure if your looking for a CG action type?. Have you have seen this movies sequel? EX Machina? Also that title KiraRin mentioned has a similar look to it.
There was one I never saw called Tank SWAT. Based on Dominion Tank Police(which shares the same manga creator as Appleseed) But It looked a bit inferior to Appleseed in the CG dept.

If you really enjoyed the characters at all, check out the manga. The main first story is only 4 volumes in length.

As for Philip... possibly Bubblegum Crisis the first 8 episodes of the OAV (not the TV show called 2040). It had a vibe that was similar to his works, and had a touch of humor.
(helps that it was influenced heavily by Blade Runner)

I can't really remember much about this show other than it was Cg and that it didn't follow the manga very well lol.

Well I'm glad I added to this with my pointless drivel, away with me!

I didn't like the animation, I agree that it would have been better in original anime style, not the CG stuff they tried to use. The story was a little weak, but I think they realized that and made up for it with Ex Machina. I think the coolest character is Briareos, but Deunen kicks butt too. I agree that she would fit somewhere near the top of my best female character list.

Back