Attack on Titan

Ravenx

Attack on Titan
Alt title: Shingeki no Kyojin

Synopsis, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual chapters and first impressions of this manga here. Full reviews should be posted here.

Anybody else reading this? I checked it out since it was recommended to me by a friend, gotta say I'm really enjoying it. Lots of action, amazing suspense, and really tragic character history is presented often to show their hardships.

It's quite....different from what I usually watch, but I'm hooked. xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Shingeki no Kyojin

I'm reading it and I'm glad there is at least another person reading this! (now I don't feel so lonely)

I must confess that it is one of my favorite mangas. The drawing wasn't very attractive at the beginning, but later on is one of the things that adds a dramatic feeling to the already interesting plot.

Can't wait to see what'll happen next!!:thumbsup:

I fucking love this manga. I just got caught up with it the other day and the monthly wait is ALREADY proving itself painful.

The story is incredibly despair-ridden, nihillistic, shrouded in mystery, and every slight ray of hope soon gets smashed and crushed and burnt and annihilated by many, many piles of harsh, harsh reality. If I were to make a list of ''manga/anime worlds where I'd least like to live'', this is one of the very first titles I'd name.

This being said, that's exactly the kind of story I profoundly dig. Dark, harsh, violent, cruel, unforgiving, desperate; yet thrilling, exciting, awesome, AND full of nasty secrets I'm dying to know about. Yes, the plot does nothing but thicken and thicken and thicken as the chapters go on, and for every little answer we get there's ten more intriguing questions.

This manga also used up a good whole volume or so fleshing out the character's training's beginning and progress, and so, developing them all. This plus the current state of matters make them all very compelling to see and it's just going to suck (in a good way) when they all keep dying these pointless, horrible deaths in the faint hope their lives served even just a little to humankind's retaliation.

I, for one, love the art style. So much so, that I'm buying this as soon as the editorial that licensed SnK here releases the first volume.

So far, superb masterwork, a solid 4.5/5 for me.

AND PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE HERE READING THIS GEM.

i've been spamming everyone about it for some time now - the first volume is now available to purchase on amazon as of a few days ago, everyone should buy it (Attack on Titan)

I was a bit surprised when I knew it was coming to Spain as well. It looks just like the kind of awesome manga they wouldn't bother bringing here because some random two-volume shoujo is more profitable. But Norma rocks. :thumbsup:

I'm also reading it. I was grossed out by the whole method of Titan offensive but recent developments have made me wonder what happened to their world. There's a lot going on in this manga that sorely need answers.

Chapter 35 was yet another amazing piece of this manga's enthralling story. There's so many things I'm curious about, and I so want to see how it will all turn out for humans...

#36 should be translated in a few days. I can't wait.

I got a friend to read this while speculating what the Titans motives actually were. I want it explained but at the same time I love the mystery and suspense. Just when you think you're on the right track to figuring it out, chapter 35 came along and threw another curve ball.

Damn you Link, DAMN YOU...! I started to read it by you and now I gonna bite my nails of waiting for the next chapter. Such AMAZING serie!

Chapter 38, very interesting. The titan in Connie's house can be his mother, but we don't know because the characters talk about that (as a joke, but they said it, it's not usual that they were right in a serie xD), and I don't understand why the town is destroyed but without blood, clothes or altered horses. Perhaps for being a titan you have to "absorb" other people? I wonder what will be the explanation for everyhting. Well, I hope the titans aren't a virus or ephidemy like zombies or something.

Edit: Damn, why didn't I think about it before? The titans are the habitants of Connie's town, that's why there's nothing and it didn't a breach in the wall. The mother was the unique in this town (now I think, why don't they kill it if it's a titan, although it can't move?).

Edit 2: http://www.misiontokyo.com/noticias/11052/ataque-a-los-titanes-al-anime

This new is only in misiontokyo (spanish), I don't know if we must trust or not, but...

Last edited:

CHAPTER 38 IS ALREADY OUT??? FUCK YES.

Impressions later.

Glad you started to read it too. =D Amazing indeed.

I always wondered what would happen if you surgically removed all the tits and romance from Freezing, introduced it to the monsters and grander story mystery of Claymore, before finally unleashing I am a Hero upon the monsters and the theme of the storytelling.

Thrilling, and refuses to let you go once you get into it.
Luckily I've caught up quickly, so I am now able to tear this off me and run away from it.
Ever had one of those things where you hate something but do it anyways even if you don't have to at all? Like watching horror movies despite clearly not handling them well? This is kinda like that. Aside from the pure action scenes, I enjoyed next to nothing of this manga, yet couldn't put it away despite that. I enjoy dark stories, but generally I feel like they need bright points, however vague. I felt this one had none, and it kind of just became too much. Putting it down after reaching the final available chapter, I feel bummed out. Not due to there not being more chapters, but by the story. I actually wish I never picked this up to begin with.

Don't get me wrong. This is a superbly well done manga. The art and expressions, the action, the narrative, all that. I'd recommend it to anybody who love these types of stories, but this really just isn't my cup of tea, even when it comes to dark stories, and I have a feeling I kept reading because I thought it would be.
I'm not sure what to put my finger at.
I am a Hero is much more dystopian and frightening than this story, so that can't be it. One guess I can make is that this story makes me feel so powerless, but in the wrong way. There's not really much fright involved in it for me, despite how that is what it looks like it is supposed to do, so it just makes me sigh as I go to the next page feeling unfulfilled.
In short, despite how it dragged me along, it didn't feel rewarding in the end, and instead dragged my mood down to a lower level than before I started reading.

I'll keep Shingeki no Kyojin in mind to recommend for anyone wanting a dark, tragic story full of action, but I won't be following this manga myself, sorry.
Ok, I've mentioned the manga several times now, but if Shingeki no Kyojin is your thing then you'll fucking love I am a Hero!
:drinking:

My theory is that Titans were a biological weapon created to wreak havoc in enemy nations. There's that "item" in Eren's house I believe is a serum that alters human DNA, allowing them to transform into a Titan. Maybe, then, there are two classes of Titan: One that is biologically "created" and another that are altered humans.

At some point in history they turned on humans, whether friend or foe and overwhelmed the world. It would account for the reason the Walls have Titans in them - extensive knowledge of their characteristics would have been known to the ones that built them.

From this latest chapter the Titans are most definitely humans from Connie's village and other villages within the Wall. Those destroyed houses looked like they'd exploded outwards, rather than being destroyed from the outside. Ymir looks like she's one too, as unfortunate as that is. More evidence for this is the comment about Titans only being able to move in sunlight, and then the great surprise when they can still move at night. "Normal" Titans can't do this, but human Titans can.

Ok, I've mentioned the manga several times now, but if Shingeki no Kyojin is your thing then you'll fucking love I am a Hero!
:drinking:

Kengo Hanazawa is definitely on a much higher level than the author of SnK (SnK isn't bad, but too one-dimensional and not sophisticated enough to be great). I am so glad 'Boys on the Run' gets regular releases now... :)

Then I'm sorry to disappoint you but I read "I am a Hero" by curiosity and no, I didn't like it xD. I don't think is bad, it has a lot of resources and page estructures very interesting and amazing, but I get bored with its plot and development. Ironically I'm not talking about the first 10 chapters, it's my favourite part, when you had to distinguish between the fantasies of the main character and the reality, you know the excentric "hero" and his live, you heard the news about zombies that he ignores...
But later I only saw a zombie's comic that I didn't care (i'm not a fan of the genre, no), and the personalities are so exaggerated that I can't feel interest by the "hero" and the rest of stupid people, is too little credible ("it is social criticism of people and Japan society blablabla" I know, but I don't think that people doesn't care if a bloody guy bites a person in the same train car until they devour everyone xD). And I don't have any fear, because except the main character (that all we know he's not going to die so quickly) everyone are unimportant characters that are saying "I gonna die in two/four chapters!". I read three volumes and I haven't got any interest in continuing.

Hey, and I'm not saying the manga is bad or irregular quality, it's atypical and I'm sure fans of zombies genre (specially the Romero style) will love it, and I reccomend it because it has interesting things, but it's not for me (huh, I feel like I said the same that BrainBlow in the opposite sense xD ).

Whatever, both mangas are different: The first is a Shounen focused in the mistery of the titans and the human civilization, and the plan is to recover hope and optimism for beat the titans (for being destroyed and burned). The second is a Seinen focused in a person surviving in a world falling in a zombie apocalypse with pesimism and sad hopeless from the beginning. I wouldn't recommend one manga if you like the other, although they have some similarities they are differents.

ut I don't think that people doesn't care if a bloody guy bites a person in the same train car until they devour everyone
You'd be stunned to know how much is generally required to get people to react and act independently in crowded places when an unexpected situation arises. Especially in big city areas where people are generally desensitized and cynical to others(natural response to living somewhere with constant new faces).

I read three volumes and I haven't got any interest in continuing.
bah, that's pretty much when it really starts, and several of the parallels I draw with this manga comes after that too, but I get your point.

Holy shit, that's awesome.

ANN's version of the news

It's still not set into stone since they removed it from the listing, but if they placed it there by mistake in the first place you'd think there's a lot of planning for it to be done.

Definitely something to look forward to in 2013. If it is done, I really hope either Madhouse or at least SILVER LINK will be the ones to pick it up.

For people who are wondering what was that on the last chapter: Someone made this such big post explaining all the previous clues (although I still don't understand why does this twist now and suddenly, but well). Very interesting.

h8RDYLG.png

Alright, this guy is amazing. How old is this theory? And where could I find the original post? I'm just curious to see people telling him how godly he is. xD
EDIT: Never mind, already found it~

I can't wait to re-read Shingeki with all this in mind. Norma, please release the vols faster!

Back