The Story of Saiunkoku

NITRODRAGON

The Story of Saiunkoku
Alt title: Saiunkoku Monogatari

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here

===============================================================================

Hey guys check this out!

Here i am busy minding my own business when on my veoh tv an anime download is starting strange thing is i never did such a thing i didnt go to veoh i didnt download nothing so i'm perhaps thinking somebody got into my account without my say so.

Anyway the anime this random person downloaded onto it was saiunkoku monogatari 2nd series an anime i've never even heard of.

I looked it up on the database but that's not telling me much if anything so i wanna know
straight from the horse's mouth (meaning you guys on the forums). Mainly cuz i tend to not pay much attention to reviews since the guys who do them tend to diss my fave anime quite alot:mad:.

here's the questions i want answered:
is there somebody who's seen this anime before?

and can tell me exactly what i'm looking at here(like what's this anime about and other stuff like what genre this anime is and stuff like that)?

and of course if it's any good ?

so enough outta me i came to hear from you guys so i leave it open to you.
GOOD LUCK AND PLAY NICE KIDS! SINCE THIS IS MY THREAD THAT MEANS I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen it. It's one of my favorites, as seen in my sig. It's about a girl who works really hard and gets a government position. She has to fight corruption and prejudice with her mind and character. the genre is shoujo, political, and historical. Looking at your top five I'm not sure that it's your kind of thing, but you should at least give it a shot.

sounds like an idea but i'mma wait to hear from somebody else before i make my decision
cuz see being that i used to love world history in high school this sounds like it'd be cool but i'm just gonna wait and hear out anybody else who wants to say something

I haven't seen it, but from what I hear it's one of the better shoujo series out there. So long as you're in the mood for that sort of thing, (and don't hate shoujo series categorically) I'd say go ahead and try it out. Worst thing that can happen is you decide you don't like it after a few eps and drop it.

(Although, this is amusingly hypocritical since my sister's been trying to get me to watch it for ages, but that's another matter entirely -.-')

i dont hate shoujo series to be honest since most of my fave anime are part shoujo
but personally i'm a fan of them romantic comedy drama type anime and a few harem anime i just wish they'd quit getting such a bad rap all the time cuz when i read reviews on them they're usually by somebody who gives em a bad rap

but anyway back on subject shall we folks?

My favourite too!

It's shoujo- but unlike your typical ones. The heroine actually kicks butt! not literally in martial arts sense but in witts adn smartskillz. PLUS! There are LOTS of HOT HAWT HOT HAWT bishies!!! Kya~ <3 *dies in the flames of Moe and is reincarnated* Some parts of the show might remind you of Fushigi Yuugi, mainly cause of the names of the things in the anime and also the setting, since it's set in feudal China

KYA! Ryuuki is HAWT! ^///^

i dont watch shojo but i did watch season one up 2 24 tho. if ur looking for romantic comedy, might wanna avoid it. it got kinda stail IMO (was ok 4 awile), but im a guy, and it is directed to girls (i didnt no it was a shojo at the time, nor even what a shojo was at the time) but watching at least one ep wont hurt u, its only 23min.

i dont watch shojo but i did watch season one up 2 24 tho. if ur looking for romantic comedy, might wanna avoid it. it got kinda stail IMO (was ok 4 awile), but im a guy, and it is directed to girls (i didnt no it was a shojo at the time, nor even what a shojo was at the time) but watching at least one ep wont hurt u, its only 23min.

I don't know, i rekcon that it isn't of Shojo Genre, it more towards a Slice of life/Comedic/Reverse Harem if you ask me.

Works aimed at this target audience are generally seen as melodramatic stories of romance usually with a female protagonist,

no arguments here about what it generally is, but shojo isent charecterized by the content/genra nesisaraly. its really just the Demographic of the anime. and the targeted audiance for this on is female

...and anidb and wiki both labled it shojo. (wiki just seid its demographic was female, but same thing)

lol if this wasent a shojo, than the notebook wasent a chick-flick

I think this is a great anime. It is about a girl who wants to make a difference in her country's government. There is a romantic aspect to it, and a reverse harem/comedy aspect too. It's hard to get into if you hate politics, but I would still give it a shot.

I'm a guy and I watch it pretty closely. I like the fact that romance isn't particularly a huge part of the story and it actually... well... has a story outside of romance. It's pretty rare to find non-action anime's like that these days.

I love it and I am a guy! The story doesn't focus overly on romance, andt here is a lot of smart thinking written into the story.

The answer to your question...
There are certain moments in season one that pushes the romance aspect farther, but nothing definitive. May be season two will resolve it?

I enjoyed season one.
The romance NEVER gets resolved. In fact it is rarely hinted at. If you want a genuine romance, SM is not for you

As for season two, I watched three episodes and dropped it. SO BORING!

I love it ^_^. My friend randomly sat me down to watch the whole first season. It seemed a little odd and confusing at first, but after a few episodes I really got hooked. The political stuff came in heavy about half way through maybe? And I just got the jist of it, didn't completely understand the first time around but still enjoyed the anime as a whole. It really stole me when I watched it a second time when things actually clicked.

Do you like the second series??
I like it too, but I think that the first one was better..those last translated episodes 24, 25 are not so good..I hope it will develop soon..
I would like to know more about Hyo clan..

it's good to read something about this anime to understand it more..when reading an article from wikipedia I was surprised that I hadn't noticed so many details..

and for real saiunkoku lovers I found Saiunkoku special if you don't know about it..

i've just finished ep.33 of the second series..is anyone watching it too???

it's being subbed so slowly that i started to forget what the previous episodes were about..i think that this anime is more focused on political affairs than on romance..although, i want Shuurei and Ryuuki to be together, too..but it seems that the emperor will give up on her..on the other hand, she felt probably a little jealous when she heard the emperor and Jyuusan talking in Jyuusan's room..but still Shuurei prefers to follow her dream than to marry the emperor..so he has no choice..
and i remember that her father once said that Shuurei probably wouldn't marry someone for love..

Back