Yu-Gi-Oh!

kainbloodheart

Yu-gi-oh!

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

THis series was never aired in the west due to its large content of violence, death and apparently sex/nudity

Ive only seen a few episodes and i have to admit they are quite dark e.g instead of loosing at a card game they tend to loose then die in some horrible way like falling off a roof and dropping to their death. just shows how what parents think are for children origionate from somewthing so dark and evil. ha ha ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Anyone seen Yu-Gi-OH (the firs series)

Seen maybe an ep or two from it on tv when I was zapping and really bored but other then that I never felt like watching the whole damn thing.

That version you are talking about I haven't heard of. All I have seen was the "For-kids" version on TV.

I saw it.. But I didnt think it was that bad. I thought it came after the normal yu-gi-oh... The one where yugi actually beats pegasus the first time.

Nah thats still the censord 4kids one (battle city i think it was called)

In Yu-Gi-Oh! The Shadow Games he hardly ever played Duel Monster mostly stuff like chess, normal card games, mahjong etc

yeah I seen it. The first season I believe was a large island tournament, somewhat like pokemon island.

Here are some pictures from the first ever series or series 0 is what its realy called and was made up of episode -27 to -1 (-27 been the first episode and -1 been the last) Its not the one on pegasus' island.

yamiyugishadowgamesej5.jpg

c6smi8cfkn3.jpg

I did a Google search on it and read up more about it. It rang a few bells with me! I do remember reading about this in a magazine I read a few years back and its everything you said it would be.
The show was never dubbed according to the site I read. I also noticed it was never brought over to the states only in Japan it was aired.
It was a real interesting read!

Are you sure you're talking about the right anime? I grew up watching the 4kids version. But, still, I believe you.

Hey, now that you mentioned it, I remember going on this site a year ago and looking at a list of eps that have been hacked by 4kids and I noticed that a lot of the episodes on the chart were unaired.

There are 2 series commonly known as simply "yu-gi-oh". The first (second) is the one most of the world is familiar with. It's actual title though is "yu-gi-oh! duel monsters".
The other series (the actual first series) came out a couple years prior. Most people know nothing about it though because it never aired outside of japan. This one is frequenetly called "series 0".

When you were watching the 4kids stuff, didn't you ever wonder at the fact that it seemed to jump right in to the middle of a story (ie, all the characters knew each other already, there were references to duels that we never got to see, they mention him putting the puzzle together & act like it was a big thing, but for such a big event it's strange that they never had an episode about it)? That's because of the fact that it DID come in in the middle of a story.
In the first series, the card game is almost never used. Instead, it's all about oneshot games which are invented on the fly for the episode. This series corresponds to vols 1-7 of the manga. In vol 8 of the manga, the familiar card game came to the fore & became the primary (and generally only) game in the series, the anime that 4kids translated was based on vol 8+ of the manga.

The setup with the 2 yugioh series in the US is actually very similar to dragonball & DBZ. We got DBZ first because it was the more entrenching series, but it left us feeling that we had missed a lot of the story. After we were safely hooked on DBZ, they brough dragonball over as a prequel. The main difference is that yugioh series 0 was never brought over, even after we had gotten hooked on the later series.
I can understand the decision to bring the later series over first, I think it definitely draws viewers in more & deeper than the first series, plus it has the card game (which provides a marketting tie-in that the sponsors love & CCGs were big at the time, so it pulled the audience in even more). However, I really don't see why they never brought the original series over. They could have easily marketted it as "yu-gi-oh! The lost episodes!"

It's the show before it started completely revolving around the card game and instead "Shadow Games" where there's a harsh penalty for confiding against the rules, it was released in 1998 by TOEI Animaton. Back then Yugi was a meek fellow who plays board games alone, and holds an anciet puzzle which he must manually assemble to use it in order to wish for my long await desire (friends) but little does he know that when the finally assembled puzzle's peace is disrupted it awakens an ancient sadist (somewhat) Egyptian god. Also the animation is pretty rubbish (I hear it's animated by Last House/Uchiyama); it's sloppy, cheap, and stiff.

I have to say the manga is much better; the art is better, the characterization is better, and so is the plotting.

Back