Brigadoon Marin to Melan

Brigadoon Marin to Melan

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Well i couldn't find a topic on this and i wanted to discuss it in detail with some that have seen/are watching the show.

Just seen episodes 1 + 2, instantly i'm hooked, the plot is little more than mere speculation other than a few basic facts right now but i am enjoying Marin and Melan Blue alot.

Melan Blue <3

Although it seems to me there's abit of a wierd love thing going on with them, she was abit too blushy when he said he'd protect her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, come on. You know we'll be the only ones to have seen this show :P

I think it is very underrated, although don't get too excited about a climactic ending. Enjoy the journey but not the destination...

And I know what you mean about the relationship between Melan and Marin - it only gets worse throughout the series. Its actually quite creepy as she's a young girl, and he comes across as an older man.

Are you watching it subbed or dubbed? I watched it both ways, depending on my mood, even if the English voice acting was pretty terrible >.>

H.

Oh, come on. You know we'll be the only ones to have seen this show :P

I think it is very underrated, although don't get too excited about a climactic ending. Enjoy the journey but not the destination...

And I know what you mean about the relationship between Melan and Marin - it only gets worse throughout the series. Its actually quite creepy as she's a young girl, and he comes across as an older man.

Are you watching it subbed or dubbed? I watched it both ways, depending on my mood, even if the English voice acting was pretty terrible >.>

H.

Lol true enough, but apparently Funkgun has it marked as watched too lol :P i searched the few people that had seen the show :P

I think right now there's not much in the way of a gripping plot, but the focus of Marin and Melan is very entertaining, her life with him, i can only be more excited about the eps to come. I never put my hopes on a good ending with anything, just wait and see where it takes me, i'll be happy if most of this series is good.

I am actually pretty shocked at the amount of violence in this too, i just finished episode 3 and my god...
...them girls were horrible, i was wishing for Melan Blue to show them a lesson, and he did :P fuckin put them in thier place for hurting Marin, don't you just love sweet justice? :D

Lol Marin is tiny, i laugh just because i can imagine it getting worse exactly as you say, although i probably will enjoy it, it's a nice change from your boring boy meets girl thing, i mean the whole 8yr old girl meets older looking blue robot alien is pretty cool lol >_>

Melan looks awesome once his face shield thing comes up, sooooo awesome!

Honestly, haven't been this excited watching a show in a while, i mean, it makes me feel like a little kid all over again, yet....has this adult darker side i can't get enough of! Very much so like Narutaru and Alien Nine, if you were to explain it that way.

I'm watching the sub, i checked the dub out and turned it off after a minute of it lol >_>

I'll end this post off by worshiping Melan Blue <3 :D

I have also watched Brigadoon. It is my favorite anime.

I thought the ending was rather good, though. In fact, I'm a bit confused how it could be described as "not climatic."

I'm not that sure that Marin is supposed to be 8 years old, though. My understanding was that she was 13. (Although the Wikipedia entry explicitly states this, I don't know the source and I'd suggest avoiding that article... it is (or was) pretty spoilerific in its character descriptions.) The back of the first DVD indicates she's a teenager.

I have also watched Brigadoon. It is my favorite anime.

I thought the ending was rather good, though. In fact, I'm a bit confused how it could be described as "not climatic."

I'm not that sure that Marin is supposed to be 8 years old, though. My understanding was that she was 13. (Although the Wikipedia entry explicitly states this, I don't know the source and I'd suggest avoiding that article... it is (or was) pretty spoilerific in its character descriptions.) The back of the first DVD indicates she's a teenager.

Awesome! Didn't expect to see any other forum goers to have seen this show :D i'm only on episode 4 :(

I dunno her age, i just guessed, she looks younger than 13 to me, mind you...i can never tell anime ages, sometimes they look 10 and thier like 15 >_>
I never use wikipedia for shows if i haven't finished them, they always have spoilers X(

can we expect a kira review for this gem, then? :D would call attnetion to it!

can we expect a kira review for this gem, then? :D would call attnetion to it!

:...:

I just submitted a Shaman King review, I've started on a Battle Athletes Victory one and now you want Brigadoon? What else do you want woman, blood??

H.

mohohohoho >:D

dont mind me, i pretty much am alwasy asking for stuff.. it's ok to turn it down ^_^

Awesome! Didn't expect to see any other forum goers to have seen this show :D i'm only on episode 4 :(

I dunno her age, i just guessed, she looks younger than 13 to me, mind you...i can never tell anime ages, sometimes they look 10 and thier like 15 >_>
I never use wikipedia for shows if i haven't finished them, they always have spoilers X(
A real-life moment that surprised me is that one person I showed it to naturally assumed that Marin was 13. She was a security guard at the building I worked at. Her initial reaction to the series was exactly what I told her to expect; that it would feel like a show aimed at a really young audience, but merely pushing on a little bit would get her past that and hooked. The result? She lost sleep trying to finish it as fast as possible.

She told me that she wanted to show it to her granddaughter (whom she had yet to meet, but over the phone she found out her granddaughter did some anime watching... Naruto, I think.)

Honestly, haven't been this excited watching a show in a while, i mean, it makes me feel like a little kid all over again, yet....has this adult darker side i can't get enough of! Very much so like Narutaru and Alien Nine, if you were to explain it that way.

I'm watching the sub, i checked the dub out and turned it off after a minute of it lol >_>

Samshadow, this is by far one of the oddest titles .
I am not sure what demographic or audience they were going for.
It is lighthearted at first, dark in the middle, and hopeful at the end.
I would have a hard time describing it to anyone.

Dude she is supposed to be 13? I thought she was more like 10. Dang.

Yeah I saw the sub then the dub. Sub was good, Melan was rich sounding. But then I saw the dub on TV; which was actually annoying at first to hear the voices, but after a while I felt the gal who did her actually sounded the part. And the guy who did Lupin in the TV series does an ok as Melan, but it was such a subdued rold for him. Melan has to be real stiff acting. which is weird role for Tony Oliver.

What did you think of her tenant house? They have an odder cast than Maison Ikkoku. I too thought the designs of Melan were pretty cool.

Samshadow, this is by far one of the oddest titles .
I am not sure what demographic or audience they were going for.
It is lighthearted at first, dark in the middle, and hopeful at the end.
I would have a hard time describing it to anyone.

Dude she is supposed to be 13? I thought she was more like 10. Dang.

Yeah I saw the sub then the dub. Sub was good, Melan was rich sounding. But then I saw the dub on TV; which was actually annoying at first to hear the voices, but after a while I felt the gal who did her actually sounded the part. And the guy who did Lupin in the TV series does an ok as Melan, but it was such a subdued rold for him. Melan has to be real stiff acting. which is weird role for Tony Oliver.

What did you think of her tenant house? They have an odder cast than Maison Ikkoku. I too thought the designs of Melan were pretty cool.

Lol it is a wierd show, it's just sorta explainable....barely.

Lol the house is awesome, quicky characters that make it sooo funny, Melan though is a god, just awesome, been waiting for a silent strong type that actually cares about people to come into play :D
He plays the big bad protector of Marin, he obeys her every whim, yet he has this innocent side, he tries his best for her, but right now he's not doing a good job, he takes things too far which he's trying to learn from. I just find him very deep as a character even though he doesn't talk that much, can't wait for more :D

Lol it is a wierd show, it's just sorta explainable....barely.

Lol the house is awesome, quicky characters that make it sooo funny, Melan though is a god, just awesome, been waiting for a silent strong type that actually cares about people to come into play :D
He plays the big bad protector of Marin, he obeys her every whim, yet he has this innocent side, he tries his best for her, but right now he's not doing a good job, he takes things too far which he's trying to learn from. I just find him very deep as a character even though he doesn't talk that much, can't wait for more :D

In a lot of ways he is as young as her in development of emotions and personality. He is almost like a kid in Marin's world.

Just finished episode 18, and WTF!

After pretty much going blind, Marin almost gets killed twice and then she actually does die the third time! Well atleast at the end of the ep she looked dead, if she is, i expect Melan to go apeshit please lol :)

Just finished episode 18, and WTF!

After pretty much going blind, Marin almost gets killed twice and then she actually does die the third time! Well atleast at the end of the ep she looked dead, if she is, i expect Melan to go apeshit please lol :)

yeah
here is the dark middle part.

I am not talking Eva or Now and Then Here and there dark, but definitely darker than the marshmallow world of Brigadoon.

I can't even remember an anime series affecting me this much, not even Yu Yu Hakusho, which I swear by.

I've watched the entire series in one sitting and am planning to do it again during the weekend, and maybe the next week after... O_O I can't seem to tire of it, it's scaring me XD

I've read up on it and I've seen some mixed reviews. It seems some people feel really bothered about Marin looking like a kid, and if you're one of them people I don't recommend you watching it until the end because.......
Nah.... go watch it ^_^

MUSIC: from the haunting opening to the upbeat ending song, the music got me hooked as well. Just watching the series for a couple of days left me with a permanent record that constantly plays in my head the entire day.

ANIMATION: meeeh...... I do agree with most other reviews about Marin's character design... no, I don't want her to look a day older than what she currently looks like, but-- I mean, the legs could use some defining, and the hands, the shirt that she keeps wearing... I don't know. But these complaints are minor and I can live with them.

STORY: Some reviews complained that the story lacked direction and didn't really hold together. I beg to disagree. The story started a bit slow, and if you don't stick around then it really would seem as if there was no story to the series at all. However, you have to realize that most of the plot development occurred at around episode 11 or so [for me at least]...

MELAN: I found Melan's character design strange at the beginning [there's something wrong with those toes, i think], but as the show progressed I realized I wouldn't have it any other way. =D I unequivocally declare that there is no shmexier mecha/alien in the entire universe.

I'm hooked. I'm hooked. I'm hooked. Is there a cure for me? T_T

Last edited:
Sorry, No cure. In fact, might be hard to find a similar show. ;)
That was a fantastic spoiler. lol.

I found it a great buddy show. (with a small bag of affection) It has a lot of action, and is very different.

It also made a fantastic trippy world in which melan was from. ( I even liked the odd cat like creatures that were part of a high council.)

I will say it did have head scratching moments for me though, as it seems to not know if it is a kids show or adult show at times, a land made of edible candy plants and the stuff kids dreams are made of, but then it also has a dark world twisted by Brigadoon effecting Marin's world. Then it has cute campfire songs sung by the two girls, but then it has nudity in bunches.
Anyhow, maybe that is it's charm, it is just that unique.

god farking damn, is brigadoon *that* obscure?? :confused: I can't find any fansites, pictuers, wallpapers... no nothing. I can't even find ANY merchandise for it except for the OST's.

Back