Grappler Baki

Tolone

Grappler Baki

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Between ep 16 and 17 how many years has passed? I thought it was still 2 years after baki's fight with his father but then the guy that runs the underground arena says "the little kid who arrived 3 years ago is now the champion". Just kinda confusing if it is 3 years later since it went from 2 to 5 without any warning ;0

Also was the grappler baki movie based on the same manga the tv series is? I had always assumed they were 2 different things since baki had a different personality, the fighting seemed a little different, and there didnt seem to be any underground arena...but the last ep plays out VERY similarly to near the end of the movie. Only part thats got me confused is that in the movie baki was going to alot of karate matches which I dont like the one in the tv series would do. Oh well it will be interesting seeing his fight with the cord cutter(the tv series doesnt seem to call him that though) since the fighting in the tv series is a little different.

Last edited by a moderator:
been awhile since i watched, but iirc he is 16 during the tournament saga

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 1
Baki is pretty insufferable, yeah? I assume the main enjoyment is gonna be derived from all of his enemies and allies (if any) and the fights with them, not from following his journey.

The ED sucks, but I like how they inadvertently made it seem like the evil aristo lady is flashing Baki.

I like the cop that shows no interest in a 13 year old potentially getting murdered by a 100 dudes with weapons.

aOFPJEd.png

w5UQra5.png

This little shit version of Baki is way worse than the boring version we get in the newer series.

Episode 01

In true Baki fashion, a detective whose pass time is watching kids beat the shit out of each other, and a random butler whose job is contacting delinquents to hire them to beat up a 13-year-old are a lot more badass and interesting than the 13-year old whose name is slapped on the series' title. I can't wait for them to shaft him to the side for more interesting people to take the spotlight.

Episode 2:

Yeah, we fight everything: women, children, those little foofy dogs rich ladies carry in their handbag, hamsters, ants, flat earthers. You name it we will fight it. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go beat the shit out of this 13 year old.

Okay, Tommy's mullet is fucking fabulous. It really compliments those thick thighs in short, shorts. Can we just not go back to Baki and just watch Mafia Fight Club instead?

I like that the guy takes so long to charge up his punches that his best tactic is to getting his face punched in while he is gather energy for the spirit falcon punch. It works tho, poor Tommy never knew what hit him. His fab mullet will be missed.

*Baki starts hoping around the ring and fighting like a monkey on bathsalts* His opponent "this little boy is a true warrior. It reminds me of that time I brutally beat an entire pack and wolves to death in front of my little sister."

Well, it was satisfying seeing Baki get destroyed. It was hilarious that Baki's reaction was to run away crying like a spoiled child right afterwards. Then his mother showed up and things got unnecessarily sexual for some reason. I think it's just her whole energy that makes everything with her uncomfortably sexual. She walks around pretty well if she took a pounding from the world's strongest. I can't really see Yujiro approaching sex any different than he would a fight.

I don't this cop is very professional.

Can't wait for the next episode it looks like Baki fights a wendigo.

Episode 2
Baki is still terrible, everyone one else is rad, especially glasses yakuza fight coordinator. He is everything I aspire to be: bespectacled, mean, and doing illegal shit all the time.
Can we just not go back to Baki and just watch Mafia Fight Club instead?
Indeed. Everyone may be a stone-faced muscledude, but they are at least fun, unlike Baki.
His opponent "this little boy is a true warrior. It reminds me of that time I brutally beat an entire pack and wolves to death in front of my little sister."
Yeah, that felt shitty, even by stupid shounen standards.
It was hilarious that Baki's reaction was to run away crying like a spoiled child right afterwards.
This made my day. I hope he gets beat up every episode, but sadly, I know this is not gonna be the case.
Then his mother showed up and things got unnecessarily sexual for some reason. I think it's just her whole energy that makes everything with her uncomfortably sexual.
Inb4 they go "stepmother" to appease the Ted Cruzes of the world.

Episode 3
Baki meets endocrinology. It's less interesting than it sounds.

The coach in this episode was pretty awesome and brutal in his bear-killing ways, and I dug him. Shame he chumped out against the weirdo monster. Said monster had a really underwhelming design, and idk just get a flamethrower?

Baki is still a moron and terribad person, and I hope he cries some more so that I can mock him.

The less said about the training sequence, the better. I expect better from martial arts anime than this.

Episode 02

Warrior code is when you beat the shit out of a kid in this universe I guess, just accept a challenge from a child and just pummel him out of existence and just pat yourself on the back for being a true soldier. I guess it's still better than getting your shit beaten out of you by a child, as Tommy did.

You know Baki's mom being a creep towards her kid would be uncomfortable if I didn't know how much of a creep his dad also is in the other series, they truely are made for each other.

You know Baki's mom being a creep towards her kid would be uncomfortable if I didn't know how much of a creep his dad also is in the other series, they truely are made for each other.[/spoiler]

Somehow mouth kisses are less creepy than secretly watching your kid bone his girlfriend while commenting on how it will make the kid a stronger fighter.

Episode 4
Grappling means punching giant apes. Who knew? At least itpunched Baki's face in but good. And it has kids! And lives in an ossuary! Shit's wild, but at least Ando has a shotgun and dynamite, so he is automatically the coolest guy in this show.

Episode 5

Ya know, being a stereotypical Mongol, shouldn't Yuri do some actual Mongolian martial arts? Eh, let's just have him box to show everyone the folly of gloves! No gloves, no grappling, no problems.

The giant teen isn't very interesting. I hope he goes down quick because I am not interested in a re-match later on.

Episodes 6 and 7
The fight started out meh, but the silly backstory helped sell it along with the punches Baki received. Good times.

Oh, no, Yujiro's back! Hopefully he will beat up Baki some.

Back