Sailor Moon

VivisQueen

[sadht=Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon]Sailor Moon[/sadht][sadhl=204]sailor-moon[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Here begins the FYAB discussion for Sailor Moon. Since it's a public forum, anyone and everyone is free to join in whenever they wish. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 1:

Firstly, was anyone else really surprised to discover Sailor Moon had a real name? Lol. I don't know why, but this show is so massive, so famous, and yet you hardly ever hear of a character called 'Usagi'. So imagine my palmface moment when everyone started calling the protagonist 'Usagi'. Lol.

Secondly, wow, I'm gonna love this show. And I get a feeling therik's gonna find a couple of new favourite characters. Haha. The characters are adorable - I liked Usagi's ditzy and spritely nature immediately - and the comedy genuinely made me smile. Moreover, there is a good level of peril in this. Morga was actually freaky-looking, despite the silly gimmicky crime of jewels sucking people's life force.

Sorry Gunslinger Girl, but this is exactly the cheesy shot in the arm I'd been waiting for!

EDIT: I'd just like to add how pleased I am that Tuxedo Mask is in this season. I feared he might be a later addition despite his fame. But no, here he is right off the bat! God bless costumed bishounen. ^_^

Episode 1:

Firstly, was anyone else really surprised to discover Sailor Moon had a real name? Lol. I don't know why, but this show is so massive, so famous, and yet you hardly ever hear of a character called 'Usagi'. So imagine my palmface moment when everyone started calling the protagonist 'Usagi'. Lol.

More than likely, the censored and modified dubbing is to blame for that. :frustrat:

Names of characters, attack moves, food, places, etc, were part of the list of things that were modified from the original show.

Ok getting first season in, don't know why, but i want it.
Even though it seems totally girly and gay to me.

I think I may keep up with you guys on this, it's been awhile since I've seen it and I have every season

More than likely, the censored and modified dubbing is to blame for that. :frustrat:

Names of characters, attack moves, food, places, etc, were part of the list of things that were modified from the original show.

Yeah they changed it to sarina in the english version.

I don't remember how much of sailor moon i've seen, so I'm not sure if this is right but isn't tuxedo mask's alter ego a college student right when the show starts? And usagi is a middle school student?! I never paid attention to how old usagi was when i watched it as a kid, but thinking about it now, isn't that EXTREMELY wrong?!

spoiler for some later event:
and usagi's best friend falls for one of the bad guys, who's definitely 20+. I think somehow the feelings are returned...very wrong

I think I may keep up with you guys on this, it's been awhile since I've seen it and I have every season

Welcome to the group, Quizap. ^_^ The more in the conversation the merrier.

Ace: Yeah, Usagi is 14 years old. Tuxedo Mask is so not a teenager. @_@

Secondly, wow, I'm gonna love this show. And I get a feeling therik's gonna find a couple of new favourite characters. Haha.

It's quite possible :). I'm glad that it doesn't take itself particularly seriously. Some thing are so stupid they're brilliant and Sailor Moon might just end up in that set.

I'd just like to add how pleased I am that Tuxedo Mask is in this season. I feared he might be a later addition despite his fame. But no, here he is right off the bat! God bless costumed bishounen. ^_^

Yeah, fair play on that. Anyone who announces their entrance by hurling a rose into the ground is clearly too cool for school. Meritorious. And speaking of school, Usagi's non-costume-change school uniform has probably the longest skirt I've ever seen in an anime. I'm sure it's a fair bit shorter than real Japanese school skirts, but still...

Oh, and if anyone's interested, Usagi's first name (usagi meaning rabbit) is a reference to the folkloric jade rabbit which, if East Asian mythology is to be believed, lives on the moon. Meanwhile, her surname, Tsukino, contains the kanji 月 (tsuki) which means "moon". Furthermore, the cat's name is Luna, which is Latin/Spanish/Italian for "moon". But I'm sure you already knew (or figured out) most of that :).

Good first episode, anyway. I'm hoping for more of the same.

Oh, and if anyone's interested, Usagi's first name (usagi meaning rabbit) is a reference to the folkloric jade rabbit which, if East Asian mythology is to be believed, lives on the moon. Meanwhile, her surname, Tsukino, contains the kanji 月 (tsuki) which means "moon". Furthermore, the cat's name is Luna, which is Latin/Spanish/Italian for "moon". But I'm sure you already knew (or figured out) most of that :).

You are so totally wise. :o

How many episodes a day are we doing? Did 2 this evening, I'll probably continuing doing 2 aday unless otherwise specified.

Ep 1+2

LOL, nostalgic. Corny but cute at the same time and I have the same feelings as you guys do about Tux dude and Usagi, even the video game attendant in episode 2 seemed way too old to be interested in Usagi, it's more creepy then anything.

The fights instantly brought me back to my childhood. I laughed pretty hard at the similarities between this and Power Rangers/VR Troopers.

Overall... it was a nice change of pace compared to what I've been watching the last 6 months.

Ok, i don't think i dare watch this when my parents/sisters are around.
I feel pathetic when i do xDD

HAHA yea, I'm making sure I keep the volume real low because my roommates caught me watching it yesterday and they gave me one of those stares with a sigh at the end.:laugh:

Quizap: it's one a day. Honestly, though, I could probably handle 2 a day. If therik reads this, you okay to do epsiode 3+4 tomorrow (22nd April) and continue with two a day from then? If not, I'm cool with sticking with one a day. I just realised, I might like this anime a lot more than I thought. :)

Ascendancy: no, what makes you a wuss is not being able to stand proud before your family and say 'YES I LIKE GIRLS IN SAILOR OUTFITS OKAY!?'

Once you get up to episode 5, I'll hop in too. I'm just a teensy bit ahead. XD

Ep 1:

I kind of enjoyed it in a cheesy retro-90s sort of way. Out of curiosity, did Sailor Moon spawn the sailor uniform fetish or did the sailor uniform fetish spawn Sailor Moon? I WANT TO KNOW.

Episode 2:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

OMG this show is funny. Holy Jesus Umino's spiral glasses just crack me up (I see a new spififng avatar for therik ^_^). Not to mention, what kind of guy goes delinquent by turning up to school in a suit?

Anyway, this was very episodic, and I suppose, like CCS took a long while, it'll be episodic for about 15-20 episodes before eventually hitting a more linear plot. Tuxedo Mask is fairly useless right now; just turning up and throwing his rose down whenever it's convenient. But Usagi is highly amusing - especially when she cries. Haha.

If therik reads this, you okay to do epsiode 3+4 tomorrow (22nd April) and continue with two a day from then? If not, I'm cool with sticking with one a day. I just realised, I might like this anime a lot more than I thought. :)

Oh my. Well, if it's for you, I reckon I can just about manage that :).

Enjoyed episode two. It was much the same as episode one in terms of formula, comedy/drama balance etc., but I'm not complaining at that. I would like the conflicts to eventually become more intense and less simplistic, but for the time being I'm happy with the way things are going.

Aye, the danger is that, while fun on initial impression, that formula will get very old very quick. Especially since the fights aren't really fights; they're more like 'slay by numbers'. That's one reason I think a faster watching pace will be better - we'll get through the junk and hit the main story earlier.

TO ALL BUDDY GROUP MEMBERS: from tomorrow (22nd April), we're watching two episodes a day. So 22nd April will be episodes 3+4; 23rd April episodes 5+6... etc

Episode 3:

Uh oh. It just got old.

Jadeite must be seriously full of fail, because only an evil-impoverished mastermind would fail this often against a little girl and a masked hero whose finishing move involves sticking a rose in some concrete. Although, i guess if you can stick a rose in concrete, you might be incredibly hardcore. At least in the Zen sense.

But honestly, the point is, Sailor Moon needs to save her own backside once in a while.

Episode 4:

And we're back on form! :D
She did it, she fought on her own! Even if she had to believe she'd lose weight to do it. :sweat:

Last edited:
Back