Hamatora

Hamatora

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

HamaTora+anime.jpg

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PV 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ0FdejcFf0
PV 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=946jEuHq8bo
PV 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgG2mbdxyrA

I wonder if it'll be good. All I know is that the character designs are done by the Blood Lad author.
Though it isn't Brains Base doing this one.

it seems like this is one anime that's going to try to hard

i mean they expect it to be so big, making a manga, game, and anime at the same time.

at least that's what it seems like to me...

watching it nonetheless because i heart the character designs and could turn out to be pretty good.

Episode 1:
This was okay but I have some major problems with the setup.

First and foremost I wasn't too captivated because we have a super large cast and I didn't get much of a feel for what every character is like with their intros which they were all fairly standard, characterization fell a little short in this. The introductions were all over the place as well and it felt jarring when it transitioned from one scene to the next skipping around. Most of this episode was spent on the vault crime at hand and it wasn't very appealing at all to me or even that interesting. It was typical fare at best and the showcasing of abilities was only alright, not a great way to start and if it follows an episodic structure with cases taking up most of the episode I fear it'll be hard for me to like any of the characters with this kind of flow. The pace also felt too speedy and I guess the plot's going to revolve around super powered people solving crimes but it's not exactly that compelling and unique. I did like the inspector guy at the very least with the gold fists, that looked pretty damn cool and probably the only one I had some interest in. Aesthetically the palette choice and designs here remind me of Durarara and the OST is just okay to me. Couldn't stand though the occasional random colour splashed looking scenes, those looked out of place.

In the end it was a bit too average for my tastes but I did like some of the super powers as that was neat and if they played around with the concept more creatively and spend time developing the characters this could be potentially interesting. However I don't hold high hopes for this because I just can never bring myself to trust Seiji Kishi as director and he could very well mess this up easily like DS2 *cough*.

Thank you, Generic. You just saved me the trouble of starting this one. After Dangaronapa I am not touching this thing with a ten foot pole.

Why don't you first watch it and then post? Seriously I dunno about Dangaronapa but it won't be the first time somebody fails at something? I mean where is the human aspect of the staff now?

Why don't you first watch it and then post? Seriously I dunno about Dangaronapa but it won't be the first time somebody fails at something? I mean where is the human aspect of the staff now?

He also fucking butchered Devil Survivor 2 right before it.

This. I've despised the last couple of things the guy has worked on. I'm aware it's not all his fault, but at this point I consider his name on a project to be a red flag and when I'm on the fence about watching something it's definitely going to push me in the direction of giving it a pass.

In general I am trying to pick up less shows this season as I'm still too stubborn to drop shit. I've spent enough time on the forum that I have a general idea of the active members tastes and there are some opinions that I give more weight to than others so when it comes to a show I am on the fence about I'll check the posts of those people to get a general temperature. Doesn't mean I'm taking anyone's word as absolute, but I also don't want to pick up stuff just for the sake of checking it out and be stuck with it. GU's post was enough to make me lose interest for now, and unless this thread fills up with glowing comments about the series then I'm probably going to give it a pass for now at least. I may or may not get around to it someday, but for now I'd rather spend my time on other shows. I've still got several upcoming shows that I want to try out because I'm interested enough in their premise to just take the leap and hope it comes out good. That was part of the problem I had last season, I started everything including things I was on the fence about. It didn't turn out so well. It's not like any of the shows I'm on the fence about are going anywhere, they'll still be there if I change my mind later.

Wouldn't know about that.

All I can say is that this one is somewhat interesting, it has a Durarara vibe to it, yeah, the powers and the plot do give me a Darker than Black vibe (albeit much lighter, pun not intended).

The namings are fun, and the characters well, enjoyable so far. It isn't incredibly fantastic but it is something to entertaining yourself with. At the very least it will have something deeper, so it may get better.

This is actually decent for a brainless action show. Though by that all I mean is that it was inoffensive.

Episode 1:

First though; I don't care for this ( meh )
Second thought: I really don't care for this ( meh )

This gives a similar vibe as K, Duarara and Darker than Black.

I read GU's post and I completely disagree. There wasn't anything wrong from with how the scenes were moving from one to another, you're delusional.
As for the vault crime not being interesting...they were just using it to introduce the characters, and show what Minimum Holders are. They didn't spend too much time on building suspense, because that's not what this show is about.
The use of colors didn't bother me at all, they made the super powers look more awesome.
As for the super powers, they were all cool. The fights I think are going to be really freakin awesome.
And the characters, they introduced a shit load of them. And we're gonna have to see how much they're gonna decide to develop them. If you're really picky about deep and fleshed out characters, this is probably not going to be a show for you.

I was personally interested throughout the whole episode. Definitely going to follow this one.

This gives a similar vibe as K, Duarara and Darker than Black.

I read GU's post and I completely disagree. There wasn't anything wrong from with how the scenes were moving from one to another, you're delusional.
As for the vault crime not being interesting...they were just using it to introduce the characters, and show what Minimum Holders are. They didn't spend too much time on building suspense, because that's not what this show is about.
The use of colors didn't bother me at all, they made the super powers look more awesome.
As for the super powers, they were all cool. The fights I think are going to be really freakin awesome.
And the characters, they introduced a shit load of them. And we're gonna have to see how much they're gonna decide to develop them. If you're really picky about deep and fleshed out characters, this is probably not going to be a show for you.

I was personally interested throughout the whole episode. Definitely going to follow this one.

No I don't think I'm delusional, the handling of transitions was downright sloppy and completely disorganized. They jumped from one character to another in a hurry, with a couple of dull lines here and there. The big problem I have with casts this big is most shows usually don't give enough ample screen time for everyone and this is a perfect example of not handling it well in an interesting fashion. Durarara and Baccano are better examples of having a great large cast with it much more coherently put together and feeling like continuos segments rather than being disjointed.

It was all incredibly predictable how that was going to play out too and they honestly go about dumping all those boring case details without doing anything to make the cast more lively is a big negative in my personal opinion. And the crime being used to introduce the characters? I'd hardly call that properly done in anyway shape or form with how weak that execution felt. We maybe know a few things about them and it's still rushed as all hell, I'm sorry but at least some suspense and build-up is required to make an impact on me. When it gets wrapped up so easily in one quick and tidy bow it makes the whole thing feel like a pointless ruse besides explain what the minimum users are a little, I couldn't care one bit about it and if it develops more into a series only about action with bare bones plot that'd just be stale to me. I don't need a show with deep fleshed out characters at all to be honest however as it stands everyone here doesn't personally stand out or differentiate themselves enough in my book.

Seiji's not doing a good job with this and from the intuition in my gut this looks like it's going to suffer from the same problems Dangan Ronpa did more or less with pacing and everything else. The fact this is another game adaptation is already worrying to me and I can only see an incoming train-wreck. If you want to call me delusional or crazy go right ahead although again this all my subjective opinion and what I thought.

Last edited:
No I don't think I'm delusional, the handling of transitions was downright sloppy and completely disorganized. They jumped from one character to another in a hurry, with a couple of dull lines here and there. The big problem I have with casts this big is most shows usually don't give enough ample screen time for everyone and this is a perfect example of not handling it well in an interesting fashion. Durarara and Baccano are better examples of having a great large cast with it much more coherently put together and feeling like continuos segments rather than being disjointed.

It was all incredibly predictable how that was going to play out too and they honestly go about dumping all those boring case details without doing anything to make the cast more lively is a big negative in my personal opinion. And the crime being used to introduce the characters? I'd hardly call that properly done in anyway shape or form with how weak that execution felt. We maybe know a few things about them and it's still rushed as all hell, I'm sorry but at least some suspense and build-up is required to make an impact on me. When it gets wrapped up so easily in one quick and tidy bow it makes the whole thing feel like a pointless ruse besides explain what was already obvious to the viewer about minimum users, I couldn't care one bit about it and if it develops more into a series only about action with bare bones plot that'd just be stale to me. I don't need a show with deep fleshed out characters at all to be honest however as it stands everyone here doesn't personally stand out or differentiate themselves enough in my book.

Seiji's not doing a good job with this and from the intuition in my gut this looks like it's going to suffer from the same problems Dangan Ronpa did more or less with pacing and everything else. The fact this is another game adaptation is already worrying to me and I can only see an incoming train-wreck. If you want to call me delusional or crazy go right ahead although again this all my subjective opinion and what I thought.
In a hurry? The whole case was the same, one thing led to another and nothing was random or disorganized, in fact everything was built up smoothly and without confusion, it was easy to follow that everything was part of the same case, so you do not get lost there. And this just started buddy, when Durarara started you had a big cast too but it is not as if you knew everything of them, in fact you got to know them better after a couple of episodes and their pasts explained their relationships better at that, so there is nothing amiss so far.

And they did nothing to make the cast lively? Dude Nice was showing as being terrible with money, Birthday is your jokester, Doc is the facade guy who seems to treasure his things and his image? Glassed dude is the serious guy, black haired girl is a naive glutton, neko-girl (the informant) well she's the lively info collector. What seriously we could not get from the characters here? We got pretty much all we needed to know how each characters is gonna be like, and does it in a funny way, so what there is not a plus?

Also this is not really a game adaptation, this is a multi-media franchise that started as a manga (apprently we cannot say this series IS a manga at that, at least not based on descriptions I've seen around) it has a game? Yeah, but it is NOT taken from there, so you may be able to chill down on your suspicions regarding what may have happened to Dangan Ronpa and Devil Survivor 2.

As for the suspense and build-up you can clearly see that, such is gonna happen later, I mean there is a murderer that's gonna target Minimum Holders, so that obviously is gonna be core plot, and likely much deeper than this case. So I dunno what was wrong here, because there wasn't really much wrong. It wasn't a magnificence of work that goes instantly in a Godly pedestal, but it was good enough to be worth watching.

Gotta agree with BG on that one, everything felt pretty organized and moved smoothly from one scene to the other. Yes, it certainly wasn't dramatic but it was decent.

Episode 1: The only real complaint I have is the insanely high saturation when minimum holders use their power.
Ep1_Color_splash.png

In a hurry? The whole case was the same, one thing led to another and nothing was random or disorganized, in fact everything was built up smoothly and without confusion, it was easy to follow that everything was part of the same case, so you do not get lost there. And this just started buddy, when Durarara started you had a big cast too but it is not as if you knew everything of them, in fact you got to know them better after a couple of episodes and their pasts explained their relationships better at that, so there is nothing amiss so far.

And they did nothing to make the cast lively? Dude Nice was showing as being terrible with money, Birthday is your jokester, Doc is the facade guy who seems to treasure his things and his image? Glassed dude is the serious guy, black haired girl is a naive glutton, neko-girl (the informant) well she's the lively info collector. What seriously we could not get from the characters here? We got pretty much all we needed to know how each characters is gonna be like, and does it in a funny way, so what there is not a plus?

Also this is not really a game adaptation, this is a multi-media franchise that started as a manga (apprently we cannot say this series IS a manga at that, at least not based on descriptions I've seen around) it has a game? Yeah, but it is NOT taken from there, so you may be able to chill down on your suspicions regarding what may have happened to Dangan Ronpa and Devil Survivor 2.

As for the suspense and build-up you can clearly see that, such is gonna happen later, I mean there is a murderer that's gonna target Minimum Holders, so that obviously is gonna be core plot, and likely much deeper than this case. So I dunno what was wrong here, because there wasn't really much wrong. It wasn't a magnificence of work that goes instantly in a Godly pedestal, but it was good enough to be worth watching.

I disagree entirely this show has no sense of timing at all and also I noticed no background shots whatsoever to me is a sign of rushing and poor pacing. It does a bad job of establishing the scenes and setting here without at least some of those, Seiji's just cutting corners to save time and that's not okay. There is barely much of any real interaction between the characters beside some very uninteresting phrases exchanged and even small amounts of meaningful conversation between any of them was practically non-existant. Not to mention the entire episode felt so ridiculously crammed together in all honesty and those things you mentioned are so minimal that all it gives off to me is a cliched and stereotyped outlook to them with no depth. They were hollow on the inside and building up character and your narrative is an important aspect to have the audience even care which is not present here at all. It was underwhelming and Seiji can't tell a story to save his life. The Columbus egg thing for example in the car was dumb, random, not funny and made no fucking sense all credit to the director who doesn't have a clue how to give any coherent focus to points in a story. And the villain's speech near the end how he gives his spiel on oh were'll all the same kind so were comrades bullshit then promptly getting defeated easily was generic and cliched as well.

And your point on it not being a game adaptation doesn't make me any less skeptical even if it's more of a franchise. He's known to have a terrible track-record in making poor decisions and he certainly hasn't proved he's any good as of late at adapting from source material so it still stands that I have no faith in how this is going to turn out.

Last edited:
Back