Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

Deathly

[sadht="Suisei no Gargantia"]Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet[/sadht][sadhl]gargantia-on-the-verdurous-planet[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]
PV1, PV2, PV3
Debut: 2013/04/07 22:00 JST

Strange, I'm neither interested in mecha nor space opera and yet I'm still looking forward to this one...

Last edited:
I'm actually interested simply because of the character designs and setting. I don't know much about the rest at all.

Looks good though.

I am a huge fan of space opera (LOGH best anime no contest) and very favourable towards mecha, but the big selling point here is probably that Gen Urobuchi wrote it, and he was responsible for both Madoka and the recently concluded Psycho-pass, two thoroughly excellent series.

So yeah. This is one of my top picks for the season.

There are actually a few mecha shows this season. Cool. I remembered this one because it actually looks different from the other two I was going to try.

Kakumeiki Valvrave
XXsLEuk.jpg

Majestic Prince
Wf93LVt.jpg

I've had problems remember which is which. The Mecha look too much alike.

Episode 1
Well valondar, you're going to love the first part.
A nice episode, I guess.

I had to laugh when:
the AI translated him this when he kidnapped the girl.
"What she just said relates to reproducing with your mother, as well as fresh excrement"

Episode 1
Well valondar, you're going to love the first part.
You got that right.

So much to unpack. Where to start?
The first half of the episode is full cosmic mecha space opera, loaded with arcane sci-fi terms, distant cousins of Gundam's Minovsky particles. With a united humanity who war against an implacable and totally inhuman alien foe - and whose soldiers gain citizenship through their service - there's definite shades of Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

The world where humans who graduate from service live is known as Avalon, a name taken from Arthurian myth (and perhaps part of Gen Urubochi's endless reminders that, why yes, he is well read), an entirely artificial world that is shaped something like the flower-like aliens the humans destroy. Besides the existence of more primitive 'tribes' living on cheaper spaceborne habitats Avalon is basically it for extrasolar humanity. There are no worlds they inhabit normally.

But why do they fight this war? And with all their incredible technology, how did they lose Earth?

Ledo's mecha knows enough to correctly identify it from the star charts, which suggests Earth hasn't moved and also they have some sense star-wise where it is.

All points so far suggest that the space war and the events on Earth are happening at the same time - the mecha belives they've only been out of it for six months, and the people of Earth have evolved their own language since the separation from their brethren in space, so despite their primitive technology they're not in the past. This means that the space war is probably going to be important at some point down the line, although right now what matters is this mostly submerged Earth.
The visuals were great, i loved the characters designs and the plot seems really interesting, so this is probably my second favourite pilot of the season behind Shingeki now.
This might be my first. Not that I intend to set Titan or Gargantia against each other, but I do enjoy my sci-fi.

Last edited:
Episode 1:
Quite a strong pilot episode that sure had my interesting. my only concern is that shows that handle the cultural differences theme mostly gets boring after a few episodes so lets hope the opposite for this one.

That was a good intro, this anime is probably the best-looking anime of the season alongside Titan and so far I see potential for some good, old-fashioned hijinks to get a crack out of down the line. Glad I picked this up.

Episode 1

I liked this, I really want to see the characters interact next week.

I also liked the character designs, they stand out but aren't too over the top silly.

Desu.

Yeah it's going to be really cool to see them interact with each other. The way that the writers handled the whole language barrier thing was exceptional, i loved every second of it.
I second that. I always find it stupid when in a "person in a strange world" anime all personages magically speak the same language. Luckily, this one and Hataraku Maou-sama! this season showed it can be done otherwise.

With shows like Gargantia and Attack On Titans this will definitely be a season to remember.

For some reason after watching the first episode I felt like that was the most action we were going to get and it was going to be pretty light hearted.

Then I remembered Urobutcher is writing this. Go ahead. Give me your worst Urobutcher I won't fall for it this time...

COOL AS FUCK!
That is all.
Still, I wonder how this "submerged earth" thing is going to be handled.
Nowadays it kinda bugs me when fiction portrays the consequence of melted poles as if the entire world becomes a water planet.
Because this is what the world would actually look like with both poles melted:
earthicefree.jpg
Sure, that's pretty apocalyptic, but it's nowhere near "Waterworld.".

Episode 2
Huh, so there are pirates in this world and I suppose they'll be the main antagonists seeing how it seems Red travelled into the future. But if he took down a whole fleet in a minute, it makes me wonder how the pirates will step up their game.
Good episode though, kept me engaged throughout and animation still looks really pretty. I'm digging those backgrounds too.

Yeah. I'm going to patiently wait for the next TV release.
I'm not watching this thing in any shittyass streaming quality.

Damn it, yet another quality show to add to the Spring viewing.

This one, so far, is excellent.

Last edited:
Back