Anime that would be better off with better endings.

Dinobull

Just as the title says.

Basically what show had you hooked for the most part until the final few episodes or even just the last one alone ruined it for you?

For me Brynhildr in the Darkness would probably be my top contender, that show had enough mystery/suspense to keep me hooked up until the last two episodes when it became painfully obvious they were rushing the show to try and get a clear cut ending.

To a lesser extend Black Bullet could definitely do much better with a better ending or even a season 2. Too many unanswered questions/cliff hanger ending.

So guys, what are your picks?

08th ms team, if that counts. A better ending would have been ep 11, but no cant have sad endings (even though gundam has done it before) and made an awful awful 12th episode that made the entire 11th episode feel really cheap.

hmmm What else.
Yu Yu Hakusho had an awful last season but the best last episode of any show ever so that doesnt count.

I actually cant recall to many shows that had awful ending that were otherwise enjoyable, at least not off the top of my head because I try to not judge a show to hard off them. If you have 22 episodes of awsome and a 23rd crap, I try to be forgiving and just forget the 23rd existed.

Kashimashi.

Got me all hooked and whatnot, then that flat-chested wench comes in during the finale OVA and ruins everything. Feh!

Also - The thread title makes no sense, since every anime would be better off with a better ending. Think of your favourite ending ever, and even that would have been more enjoyable if it was somehow better...:laugh:

To me there are just certain anime that can't have better endings. Some anime just nail it. Maybe I could have worded it better, my bad! You got the jest though.

Also - The thread title makes no sense, since every anime would be better off with a better ending. Think of your favourite ending ever, and even that would have been more enjoyable if it was somehow better...:laugh:

Yeah, like if it gave you a handie while watching it.

But yeah, anime are plagued with shitty endings and Brad already explains why this is. I didn't care for the Akame Ga Kill adaptation in general, but goddamn they would have been better going with no ending rather than the dreadful filler ending they tacked on to the end of the season. It was poorly thought out, ignored a bunch of plot points and generally just felt like a slap in the face.

The ending to the first season of Magi also had the stink of pointless filler all over it. It's again particularly bad because it ignores the established characterization for a couple of the characters and feels completely pointless because it can't effect the characters too much since any effects have to be superficial or it would fuck up the potential for a new season. Up to the last arc the first season of Magi was pretty enjoyable shounen but that last arc hurt it pretty badly.

You know the list would be much shorter if I just listed the anime that had satisfying endings so I'll just leave it with those two for now.

NGE

I can't really think of any endings that really made me want to flip a table... Or well, no, I certainly flipped some tables at Re;_Hamatora's ending, but that series would need much more than a non-idiotic conclusion to make it better.

Rozen Maiden has this, but Rozen maiden is still an ongoing manga because fuck reasons, it's generally agreed that it just pulls drama out of it's ass now. That said there is still enough good Rozen Maiden material out there to adapt.

OreImo (FUCK THAT ENDING)

The ending of the second season was the same as in the lightnovels, though. Doesn't make it less absolute trash unworthy of ever having been made.

Some fans say it's ''character destruction'' for every character involved.

Sakurasou Pet na Kanojo,

Sakurasou Pet na Kanojo the anime stopped at the point where most fans agree the quality of Sakurasou Pet na Kanojo dropped from a cliff. The real ending chapters were apparently so terrible that even the ''obvious victorious girl'' fans were severely annoyed.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT

I think this sold well enough for a third season if the material was ready. However latest chapters also have been accused of being quite poor.

Chihayafuru

Ran out of adaptable material, no comment.

Accel World

If the protagonist hadn't been shit that anime could have easily had a second season. It's definitely written better than SAO which is from the same author. But alas, we had to have a unusual protagonist who ended up being a pain in the ass in both design and mentality. The directing decisions made in the final arc with neko-girl were pretty bad too.

Fite me IRL.

FMA: Brotherhood. Typical Disney ending that seemed to go against pre-established world rules. Admittedly the manga has the exact same ending so that also suffers, but the anime felt a lot more anti climactic.

I'm also gonna list FMA 2003, because the "ending" movie ruined what I thought was a satisfactory, if not particularly spectacular, series ending, the show felt like people's actions had heavy consequences, that wasn't entirely torn up by the movie, but definitely had a significant impact.

I'll agree with Brad on Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, the whole show just ended up blue ballsing us with a great penultimate episode full of brilliant character development for best character to tack on some silly filler with hijinks and shit.

Zankyou no Terror's ending left me feeling unsatisfied. Really, the ending felt more like a Bourne movie,
while the rest of the show had a death note vibe.

This is exactly what I thought just now, not sure if I'm glad or disappointed I don't get to be the smartass here. :laugh:

I guess I'll go with Nodame Cantabile. It's my all-time favorite romance, with both endless hilarity and endearing relationship development throughout, all delivered in an orgasmic envelope of orchestra, but the anime ending felt a bit like an afterthought in that it was quite inconclusive and not nearly as climatic as my teary eyed self was preparing for. There was really quite a bit more that could have been done with these characters, their careers, and everything inbetween.

There are two sequel manga volumes that might wrap things up nicely - I haven't read them, shame on me - but as is the anime felt lacking in just that one regard. It was a nice ending but it wasn't a Nodame ending.

Where to start....

Berserk, not sure what is so bad or different between the series and the movies. I prefer the series above the movie (mainly because of the CGI animations).
Only issue I have is that its only half the story.

Bleach, should of ended earlier.
After the defeat of Aizen, instead of giving us another filler arc and completly new story set up (bit weird compared to the rest aswell) which never is completed. The fight against Aizen was a little dissapointing aswell, but it would be much better already if it ended after losing his powers

Black Lagoon, been a while but if I remember correctly it would been alot nicer if his plan worked

Claymore, another show never completed.

Darker than Black, second season was meh and the ending was just confusing, should of ended earlier.

Dragonball Z, would be better off aswell if it ended earlier. I didnt like the elders and fusion stuff at all. Majin Buu was nice and its a classic from my youth but that was it.

Deadman Wonderland, ending? What ending? Another half show.

Elfen Lied, first the ending was rushed because it didnt continue, then we get that strange shadow figure. Its just half the story, again.

Gekkan Shoujo, note that I havent seen the specials yet. But I would prefered if Nozaki didnt say those last few words and it would have been a happily ever after ending.

Hellsing The Dawn, half the story again.

Mirai Nikki, little bit despressing, the Redial fixed it (not perfect yet either)

Naruto...too ....many....fillers....seriously it was 140 episodes and the last 80 were fillers?

Ore no Imouto
The show was okay, nothing above average, but the last few specials about the incest stuff...not my taste. And then there was the harem plot/fight aswell.

Psycho Pass, note I havent seen season 2 yet, but I would prefered if her way would have succeeded instead of his.

Sankarea, half a show again, half? Even less actually and the OVA or special had some Angel nonsense.

School Days...no wait wrong order, ending was great, everything before that sucked. ;p

Sword Art Online....season 1 part 1 (awesome) + season 2 part 1 (good) would make a great show. Season 1 part 2, meh, season 2 part 2 (so far) meh.

TTGL got its ending improved already through the movie.

Toradora....happily ever after, almost.

My little rant...which may sound more negative as intended ;p
Some shows were still great but a little change would have made it better.

Last edited:
Psycho Pass, note I havent seen season 2 yet, but I would prefered if her way would have succeeded instead of his.

Don't watch season 2 and wait for the movie like the rest of the non-JP people. As far as I know the movie will be set between S1 and S2, being a direct sequel of the former.

Claymore - huge kick in the balls, especially since a large portion of that arc was changed for the worse to accommodate the original ending..

Ore fucking imouto something not kawaii desu ne. - - I don't even need to say it.

Rosario + Vampire - had an ending that just utterly shat on what little the anime even managed to adapt right. And that wasn't much at all...

Mai Otome -, but that had more to do with an utter rework of the entire decent story from political plots and obfuscations to... the shit that we got. Friendship or something. Final fight was cool I guess...

NGE -because of the budget running out, no series that good deserves a crayon ending thank haruhi for the EoE movie

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT - FFFFFFUUUUUU :flip:

Kaze no Stigma - Author died so... incomplete. I guess you could say the ending to the TV series itself was good enough based on the circumstances but...

Amatsuki - One of the staff got into some drug related thing and the show kind of stopped.

Dance in the Vampire Bund - Why even add in new plots at the last minute when a season 2 isn't even slated?!

Sankarea - ?! The hell kind of "conclusion but not really" kind of anime original ending is that?

Spice and Wolf - It ended, Season 3 when?!?!!?!?! :crying:

PS&G - Gainax trolling with my heartstrings

Off the top of my head, these are the ones that irked me in one way or another Obviously Naruto's ending was soured by
Sakura not choking on a pair of hashi and dying a painful and splintery death like the useless waste of ink she was for the past 15 years.

Either have character progression like was teased all throughout the chuunin arc or never darken my doorstep again with your useless characters Kishi.

But Kishi had long since stopped giving any fucks about Naruto and the ending was bound to rushed, cheesy, and all around unsatisfying.

Ooh oooh! I forgot

Tenjhou Tenge - What a horrifically grotesque adaptation... never mind the "main" character shoved down our throats is a 5 foot nothing douchebag turned douche shounen hero. Sort of. Ugh and the (filler?) flashback arc in between what little of the main story was included... Madhouse, you done fucked up.

This might be an unpopular opinion but hear me out on this one. And no, I'm not crazy or losing my marbles. For this particular anime to have a better ending; what if, Ash WINS a fucking league?

I think this sold well enough for a third season if the material was ready. However latest chapters also have been accused of being quite poor.

Apparently the anime straight up ran out of material to adapt. Like, that was literally the last available canon they could use.
And the Haganai LN author apparently became sick or something if I recall correctly.

As for series that needed a better ending:
-Death Note. That series really needed to end the way the manga did. Major spoilers:
Light's death is far too "dignified" in the anime. I guess they were afraid of upsetting their enormous fujoshi fanbase or something.
In the manga, Light dies screaming, crying, crawling while begging for mercy. It's the ultimate deconstruction of his character. He thought himself as a god and a great genius, and he sent thousands to the grave with no remorse for his actions, but in the end he is a spoiled, self-absorbed snotty little brat who screams and cries when he loses and has to suffer the same fate as all his victims.

But in the anime they had him simply die as he ran away, passing away all peaceful-like.
Seriously, anyone who watched the anime but haven't read the manga should go look up chapter 107. Soooo much more satisfying!

-Soul Eater
Filler ending. And the filler ending sucked.

Damias post reminded me of The Twelve Kingdom's ending, or better said, "no ending". It'd have been beter if they at least attempted to give it a more closed ending

Back