Samurai Champloo

i enjoyed it . you have to let go of the idea of real Japanese history and just go with it.some people have a problem with this but for some reason not in other anime which are not exactly history lessons.

Like Cowboy Bebop it masterfully fuses seemingly incompatible genres. I'd have liked it a lot more if Fuu weren't a fucking bitch, though.

Hell, I loved this show alone for the good laughs it gave me (even if they mostly were really silly jokes).
The graffiti episode, the episode with the dutch gay, the checkpoint episode, the ukiyo-e and baseball episodes

I absolutely loved this anime. It's went from action packed to funny to being serious in a blink of an eye yet made it work. Good stuff.

Im not sure weather to watch this because i have seen loads of positive and negative stuff about this show

but i think i will try it out and watch the first episode because it does sound quite interesting

I liked this one. It is basically a new version/different style Cowboy Bebop. From the same director, they were immersive and unique with the soundtrack. Several episodes mirror Bebop episodes. I really liked this show.

Im not sure weather to watch this because i have seen loads of positive and negative stuff about this show

but i think i will try it out and watch the first episode because it does sound quite interesting

Watch it. It pushes the boundaries of anime in unique and refreshing ways. The story isn't overly complex or even exciting--instead it subtly lies underneath everything else the show has to offer-- that is, the dynamic relationship between the three main characters, the unique music, the excellent fight sequences, and the absurd anachronism that has these feudal Japanese characters interacting with their world in modern ways.

I wouldn't say that this is very similar to Cowboy Bebop, the mood is much lighter and there are much more completely hilarious episodes (CB had only the Musashi and Mushroom episodes in that regard). Then the music, although it fits the anime itself well, it can't stand on its' own alone.
Unfortunately for first time viewers it starts even slower than CB, which may turn them away prematurely.

SignorRossi.

I enjoyed the series, except I wasn't terribly fond of the ending.

once it went into a bit of religous persicution (sp?) style story line, it kind of turned me off. I don't care what the religion is that is being assaulted - for anime, those are not the stories I tend to enjoy.

I saw the anime as being very unique (in comparison to what I have already seen). It was enjoyable, hell I bought it, and I look forward to rewatching it again... the ending...well
I don't know if they should have survived. But, the common happy, everybody lives ending was just the way it had to be.

Hey, I bought it too!
My thoughts/complaints about the ending:
I think that since the writers had done 2-episode stories (2 alone can't be called arc, IMO) before, they somehow must have felt that they should do a 3 episode finale. This wouldn't have been a problem if they had done the pacing right and thought of better end-villains. So the ending for me was only average, some story like the one with the blind Bakumatsu spy would have been better.

I enjoyed the series, except I wasn't terribly fond of the ending.

once it went into a bit of religous persicution (sp?) style story line, it kind of turned me off. I don't care what the religion is that is being assaulted - for anime, those are not the stories I tend to enjoy.

The religious persecution implications at the end didn't take a large part of the series' time, so I really didn't care that they were thrown into the mix. I would agree if the religious persecution aspects drove the story-- however, I think they were nicely thrown into the mix in SC.

edit: forgot my spoiler tags

The only problem is - the ending showed that the religious persicution is what drove the story - both by revealing the purpose of many of the narration side notes - (ie: japan wasn't prudish until Christianity came into common practice) - and the fact that the entire story was searching for the samurai who smelled of flowers (if I recall the description properly - it's been about 2 years since I watched the series) - the samurai who went from town to town, place to place, and was in exile due to religion - the samurai who left his family because of it.

All of that made the entire story be driven by the ending - even if it doesn't seem like it during the story - the ending changes the meaning of most of the encounters, and the reason why the girl had to embark on the journey.

At least, that's my humble opinion on the matter :D

The only problem is - the ending showed that the religious persicution is what drove the story - both by revealing the purpose of many of the narration side notes - (ie: japan wasn't prudish until Christianity came into common practice) - and the fact that the entire story was searching for the samurai who smelled of flowers (if I recall the description properly - it's been about 2 years since I watched the series) - the samurai who went from town to town, place to place, and was in exile due to religion - the samurai who left his family because of it.

All of that made the entire story be driven by the ending - even if it doesn't seem like it during the story - the ending changes the meaning of most of the encounters, and the reason why the girl had to embark on the journey.

At least, that's my humble opinion on the matter :D

I must respectfully disagree. The religious persecution matter was brought up in one of the last three episodes (i think the last one as a matter of fact). You, as a viewer, are not thinking about religious prosecution from episode 1-25. When the issue is brought up it's almost brought to the front as an off-hand remark and only has small implications for the actual story. Yes, it's the reason why Fuu's father left his family. So? that's really not what I was thinking about during the series and it certainly wasn't a focal point for the plot. The last three episodes I was preoccupied with what was perspiring between Mugen, Jin, and Fuu--in their own indiviudal struggles to find what they were looking for. The religious persecution implications were simply a way to develop Fuu and her father's past and history-- not so much a driving point of the story.

Well, like I said - it's my own opinion =) to me, the ending just adjusted my entire view of the series. For the most part, I enjoyed the series, until the ending. Many times I can let go of an ending I have issues with - this one I just couldn't.

I can see your point of view of the series and its conclusion - it just affected me differently then it did you.

Back