Mahou Shoujo Tai Arasu

HasseRovdjur

Breast Claw
[sadht=Tweeny Witches]Mahou Shoujo Tai Arasu[/sadht][sadhl=1631]mahou-shoujo-tai-arusu[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Just setting this up for the buddy group.

Episode 1:

Interesting so an energetic girl that shut up about magic falls to her death. Lying broken and bleeding she dreams about a world of magic.

Okay fine she's not dying but disappears into the world of magic but I like my version better.

Anyway it looks to me that the conflict here is that the girl sees magic as freedom but the world of the witches is stringently regulated and is probably even more constraining than the real world. I'm guessing she is going to teach the witches that magic can be fun.

It looks like there were broken robots in the prison where they took the girl so I'm thinking she has been transported to a future where mankind has been mostly destroyed by technology and the world has reverted to a more primitive form where magic rather than science is the driving force. I'm not going to call it a dystopian world just yet but I think that might be the case.

Episode 2:

Well it looks like some of the robots work. Well to correct my last post this is a dystopian steampunk world ruled by an oligarchy of witches that control everyone else through the power of the sprites. That's actually kind of an interesting premise and I like the art direction, the look of the world more than the character design.

Anyway the ruling witches use magic as a form of control or in the main character's ideals to hold back people's dreams and happiness. The girl believes magic should grant people freedom and happiness. To her magic was a dream to escape the limitations of the real world. Now she gets to a world of magic that is even more oppressive than the world she came from.

Guess she'll start working on recapturing the sprites but end of convincing people to start a rebellion or something.

Episode 1&2:
I love the opening music. And loved this line (love stuff where they emphasize the assembly-line, monotonous nature of this world)

It's not like I am keeping my nails long so I can eat my favourite snack in the world, chestnuts. Its because I realized that in a world like this, unless there's magic we have no hope of living happy lives.

Too bad the actual witch realm turned out to be quite different.

Large grinding cogwheels, and robots and fairies in cages, I liked this mechanical world they built up, you get a very oppressive, deadening feel while watching it. Not magical at all.

There's something wrong with being a human in this world, hope to find that out soon. Also it seems sweet nuts are a rarity round here. Something to do with their unnatural, feeding-off-fairies ways I guess.

I wonder why did they cut off to a scene of her mother while Alice's broom is flying amok. Is she really dreaming?
I'm guessing she is going to teach the witches that magic can be fun.
Yep, and she's gonna save their world! If its done in a sweet, heartwarming way then I think I am gonna love it.

just a question, i downloaded the anime, but my version is dubbed
what do you guys watch, a sub or dub version

in any case i will search for the eng sub, i like my anime that way

just a question, i downloaded the anime, but my version is dubbed
what do you guys watch, a sub or dub version

in any case i will search for the eng sub, i like my anime that way

I don't usually mind (well done/newer) dubs, but Mahou Shoujotai's makes Arisu even more annoying :@_@:

on ep 3 looks okay so far but i can only watch about 2 eps a day it is sort of annoying if i watch more...

Episodes 1 and 2:

Awesome art direction. The witches in this show aren't as interesting as Granny Weatherwax and company (but then again, few things are), but it still beats most shows I've seen.

As you've pointed out: it looks like the world they're in is some kind of tradition-laden magocracy where some ladies with very pointy hats rule a steampunkeaque land. And they're kind of oppress the muggles and control the information they receive. So far, so good.

So being a loli for eternity is something bad? Boggles the mind, it does...

story stuff ... ish...
there is obviously more to how Arusu got into the witch world than it seems .....that pix in the head witches trunk....

Episode 3:

The more I watch the more I love the art direction. This show is worth watching just for the awesome design. I'm even digging the character design more now that I've looked closer at the characters. However it's still the world itself that looks best.

Looks like a magic using human is a big deal and very dangerous to the ruling body. It has something to do with the magic book but I'm not sure what yet.

I wonder why Alice wasn't made into an eternal loli along with the other two. Sheila looked like she was wondering the same thing. After all they mistook Alice for an apprentice at first. I guess they'd already figured out something wasn't right with her because they did send two observers to watch her. Of course the girls wanted to keep the fact that Alice was a human a secret and the best way to do that is obviously to constantly talk about it loudly. The worst kept secret ever is revealed and now they want to take the magic book off of her.

I wonder if there are any actual humans in this world. It seems like they have referred to everyone as witches so far. Also I wonder if there are any males in this world. The design of some of the sprites seem male but none of the more humanoid witches are male.

Alice is a pretty stereotypical lead, yet I don't really dislike her. There is something nice about her spunk I guess. This is really an ugly world which is what I like the best about the show so far. It's probably too light of a show to get really dark but there is potential for a really dark story here. It will be interesting to see how dark it will be allowed to get.

Episodes 3 and 4:

Holy mackerel, that's one huge pile of pancakes.

Even though they're hardly unique I'm really liking Sheila and Alice. The interplay between stodgy perfectionist and spunky "free spirit" is pretty entertaining to watch. Eva's been pretty bland so far. So, we get some more insights into the not-so-fun world controlled by witches (are they a separate species from humans or are they just xenophobic?).

Episode 4:

Interesting so Alice lost her magic book but to the wish granting sprite and not the witches. She's just as free wheeling and lose as always but I'll second enjoying her interactions with Shelia. Shelia is a perfectionist but she does care for Eva as she was going to use the wish to take away the loli spell on Eva.

The witches don't want to hurt a human for some reason. Although it looks like there is some division between the witches on the treatment of the sprites. Some see them just as spare parts for magic tools but others don't just want to kill them outright. I'm wondering if this treatment will also be extended to Alice.

The other interesting tidbit is the ruling witches have access to the human world. It seems they might use it for exile. I'm wondering what the connection between the two worlds are. The witches definitely dislike the humans but they are loathe to harm one. Hopefully there is going to be an interesting answer to that.

Well for a show I only picked up because Hasse suggested it I'm really enjoying this. The story isn't particularly unique but it is interesting enough. I'm not really finding anything annoying either. All in all I'm enjoying these episodes more than I am Rose of Versailles. I wouldn't say this is a better show per se but I'm finding it a good deal more entertaining.

I'm wondering if Alice needs the big eater tag because that was a fuckload of pancakes and she is constantly obsessing about food.

Well for a show I only picked up because Hasse suggested it I'm really enjoying this.

When have I ever made a bad suggestion for a show? Oh, right...

I'm wondering if Alice needs the big eater tag because that was a fuckload of pancakes and she is constantly obsessing about food.

Well, we didn't see her finish her meal...

Oh yeah Hasse you might want to add Ekuu to the database.

eiuu.jpg

i think from what i have seen ..the reason that the head witch has said not to hurt the human is she is her mom.....explains a lot of what is going on ...but not sure ..yet..

Episode 3&4:

Looks like the book of spells had something to do with the fact that she can fly like a pro, and Atelia wants it now. And whose voice was it at the beginning of ep4? Alice's dad or something? Whoever he is, he definitely has something to do with this belief in the power of magic that she has so ingrained inside her.

Also I wonder if there are any males in this world. The design of some of the sprites seem male but none of the more humanoid witches are male.

There are a lot of armour-clad males in the opening though, it looked like some sort of knights standing in opposition to the witches, I wonder if its supposed to depict ancient history of this land or something of that kind.

i think from what i have seen ..the reason that the head witch has said not to hurt the human is she is her mom.....explains a lot of what is going on ...but not sure ..yet..

Yeah, there does seem to be some sort of connection between the two, at first I thought of her as a future version of Alice (coz of their red nails) but your theory seems more plausible, lol.

Episode 5:

Atelia seems much more reasonable than the other witches. Although I think she is so sympathetic towards Alice because she is related to Alice somehow. Maybe like r18 suggested she is Alice's real mother. Or maybe she was in love with Alice's father. Either way it explains why Atelia doesn't want her harmed and is doing so much to help her despite her being human.

The magic book Alice had was very important to the witches and it was giving a human the ability to do magic but if Atelia is her mother then Alice might only be half human. Now I could see the theory about the book giving Alice wrong because my guess is she is going to eventually be able to do magic without it because of her whole magic is in the heart thing. I wonder how Alice's father got to the witches world if he was human and didn't have the book to start with unless he was brought there for some reason and stole the book to escape.

In this episode we see more of Alice clashing with Sheila over their differing ideals about magic. Obviously this world of magic goes against everything that Alice believes about magic so I'm not surprised she wanted to go home. For now Atelia is keeping her secret and letting her train with the others but I doubt this is going to last for long because these girls can't keep a secret for shit.

Usually I don't like when shows don't explain things but even worse are bullshit explanations. So I kind of like that when asked about where the stuff goes from his wishes he just says I don't know that's just how it works. It's happened a couple of other times and rather than bugging me I think it's a good thing. I'm supposed to accept this is a magical world and something are just the way they are.

I'm surprised how much they are fitting into these short episodes. These episodes certainly feel substantial and introduce a lot of different elements. I like a show that effectively uses it's time.

Episode 6:

Actually it looks like the book gives the user the ability to use magic without using sprites. It's not that Alice couldn't use magic without the book but that she didn't have the griffon's feather so she wasn't able to fly without the book. All the magic the witches uses require different parts of sprites. Alice was perfectly able to fly after the griffon gave her it's feather. It's just that the witches have been capturing the sprites and taking what they needed.

In this episode we meet a group of rebel witches with a similar outlook to Alice's theory on magic. They are fighting against the system of oppression set up by the ruling witches. To the rulers magic is about oppression and power. They want to control the sprites so that they control all the magic.

There also might be a message of conservation here as one of the witches was talking about eating the griffon since they only needed the feather. She has suggested killing sprites in the past and just keep the parts they need. Of course if they do that then the sprites would die out and there would be no more to provide the magical materials needed.

Shelia was grudgingly impressed that Alice was able to find a way to get the griffon's feather without capturing it or taking it by force. It's possible to do magic with enslaving the sprites but of course it takes longer to get the materials if they have to get the sprites to give it up willingly.

The witches are a competitive bunch as this is the second time Shelia has ended up fighting or being attacked by this group of sprite hunters. The rule of this world is strength. Witches are essential solitary beings and magic is meant to be hoarded by the strong. The ruling oligarchy maintains it's power through it's sheer strength.

Maybe I'm reading too much into some of this stuff but this show is pretty interesting. The concepts it's using aren't unique but I like the way it's all coming together.

Back