Project Eternity (Obsidian Entertainment Kickstarter)

TheCoffeeGod

Project Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment

biggthumpup.gif

I'm impressed, less than 24 hours and they're already funded with their goal of $1.1 mil!

I'm rather interested to see what they come up with though, especially since it's basically going to be a throwback to the good ol' days of BG.

Project Eternity is an isometric, party-based RPG set in a
new fantasy world developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

93793626636e077106461a1.png

Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!

07d247ca0cbc9c6e1b5d2b3.png

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

We are excited at this chance to create something new, yet reminiscent of those great games and we want you to be a part of it as well.

e80974b23a251ca3c259c30.png

I'd rather have Alpha Protocol 2 then more of the same. I'll pass on this but I suspect they'll do fine anyway.

There were barely any other RPG's then isometric ones until KOTOR. I'm sick of isometric ones, but that doesn't mean I am not allowing you to enjoy yourself.

The guys are cashing in on nostalgia, which is fine, just not for me because I'm not nostalgic.

wait. so you're taking the premise to indicate that the gameplay, setting, story, and characters won't be worth your $20-25 on their own? "it's isometric therefore I won't enjoy it" just seems really closed minded to me. even if you don't plan on early entry, why not wait to see whether the game proves its merits before you decide whether or not to buy later?

wait. so you're taking the premise to indicate that the gameplay, setting, story, and characters won't be worth your $20-25 on their own? "it's isometric therefore I won't enjoy it" just seems really closed minded to me. even if you don't plan on early entry, why not wait to see whether the game proves its merits before you decide whether or not to buy later?

Are you serious? Isn't there a game genre you dislike? This is the one I dislike and they could make it rain gold upon me with every click of the mouse but I would still not enjoy it because I don't like isometric. It's like me calling somebody who doesn't like FPS or MOBA games closed minded. If you don't like it, you don't like it, that's that. You don't have to try every game in the genre ever released just to know that you don't like the genre.

I'm not saying you need to personally play every single one. I'm saying you do yourself a disservice to not at least check out screenshots or trailers or possibly even actual gameplay footage before you turn it down out of hand. At this point we know nothing about this game aside from the most general ideas, which are often deceptive or change over the course of development due to requirements or technology or budget or time, and who's making it.

So basically you're lecturing me about judging something without seeing it while you just donated 20$ to something you didn't see either...?

Turning isometric into third person (which I do like and would play) would be considerably more expensive and time consuming so chances that this will change are very slim. Considering they're drawing inspiration from games which were all isometric, I say chances are far less then very slim.

lecturing
lolnope.
I inquired as to your reasoning, because I didn't understand it. you got defensive. I rebutted becasuse I disagree with your point. the history's right here.

me about judging something without seeing it while you just donated 20$ to something you didn't see either...?
I already said you're not necessarily wrong in not putting money down up front. I personally believe in the kickstarter initiative, however, and I have enough trust in the developers for this one that I'm willing to invest in helping to make sure that when the game comes out it's worth that $20.

Exactly. I used the same reasoning you did and came to the conclusion that it is not worth it. I don't see why we always get into discussion where we both say the same thing.

because your phrasing strongly suggested you wouldn't even bother looking at media that they may put out later, or anything else that might indicate how the thing looks and plays. that confused and saddened me. even if you think you're burned out on a genre there's that slight chance they do something different and awesome with it, which were this the case you would never find out about. :/

The thing is basically build on nostalgia. They're not allowed to do something different...not that I mind that, I'd rather have a copy of a copy of a copy that's good then an original that's...not good.

I'm not saying I'll never look at the game again. I'll keep track of it as I always do but there is no chance I'll put down money based on speculation and goals which I don't like. That's all there is to it. Obsidian already made a lot from me with DS3 and AP. I didn't listen to promise that those games were bad and I enjoyed them. I won't listen to promise that this game is good either.

Looks like they finally put up a couple updates.

Project Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment » We are funded, 1.1 Million! Thank you!! — Kickstarter

We are funded, 1.1 Million! Thank you!!

Update #1
Sep. 15, 2012

Project Eternity is going to be a reality because of you. We've hit our goal quicker than anyone expected, and the last day has been overwhelming. We are in the office discussing stretch goals right now! Stay tuned for another update today.

Project Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment » What's Next? Stretch goals and an update from Obsidian — Kickstarter

What's Next? Stretch goals and an update from Obsidian

Update #2
Sep. 15, 2012

We are excited to announce the first stretch goals for Project Eternity!

1.1 million, Base Goal – Achieved!
Base game includes three races, five classes, and five companions. We have ideas for these, but we want to hear your opinions on what you'd like to see. Stay tuned to Kickstarter, our website, and our forums to join in on the conversation.

1.4 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!
Expands your options for character creation and adds a companion of the new class.

1.6 million, a Mac Version of Project Eternity and The Story Grows!
We've listened and we’ll make a Mac version of the game at this tier. We're also going to add a new major storyline along with new quests, locations, NPCs, and unique loot (special histories everyone?).

1.8 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!
The options grow for your main character and the roster of your motley crew expands with the addition of a new companion from the selected class.

2.0 million, Player House!
Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".

2.2 million, a new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion! And, dare we say it... ? LINUX!
Great news, everyone! For the Tarball Knights of Gzippia out there, we'll be adding Linux support!
Also, the world of Project Eternity grows in a major way with the inclusion of a whole new faction and the territory it holds. This adds new NPCs, quests, magic items, and hours of gameplay. And yes, you got it, another companion.

2.4 million and beyond! Coming Soon!

We've been listening to your feedback, and have the following announcements:
■ DRM Free: We are looking into it! Please check back for updates.
■ Digital Only Tiers are coming!
■ PayPal is coming asap. Please be patient!
■ New $5k Tier. We are looking into a new $5k tier since it sold out so quickly! We are looking into equivalent alternatives.

Thank you fans!
Obsidian

lol it hasn't even been 24h yet

I don't think it's unreasonable to guess they'll make the 1.8 mil mark at least but I'm really hoping for 2.2

lol it hasn't even been 24h yet

I don't think it's unreasonable to guess they'll make the 1.8 mil mark at least but I'm really hoping for 2.2

It hit the 24 hour mark about 4 1/2 hours ago.

However, yeah, considering how big a name Obsidian is, coupled with the thousands upon thousands of isometric fans, I actually see this possibly hitting the 3 mil mark.

Last edited:
So, they realized how much attention BG:EE got and figured they want in on that...

When I first heard of some upcoming Obsidian announcement I was actually picturing something about WoD...

As for the initial debate I missed out on, I don't like FPS, and still liked Deus Ex and System Shock...or even Half Life and Nolf and Thief...and Portal.

Project Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment » Game Basics - Your Party, Your Characters, and Races, Update #3 — Kickstarter

Game Basics - Your Party, Your Characters, and Races, Update #3

Update #3
Sep. 17, 2012

We've hit our first stretch goal and surpassed $1.5 million! Thank you to everyone who has made this all possible. And now, some info...

Project Eternity is still early in development and we are still working on many of the cultures, factions, and ethnic groups of the world and debating many of the system concepts. However, there are certain fundamental things we want to let you know about the game and the setting for Project Eternity.

Your Party
The maximum party size is the player's main character (PC) and up to five companions for a total of six characters. This does not preclude the addition of temporary characters in special circumstances. Companions are never forced on the player. Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose. We feel companions are excellent sounding boards for the player's (and other companions') actions, but the story is ultimately about the player's personal conflict among the larger social and political complexities of the world.

Formations
A key element of the classic party-based tactical combat that we are developing is the use of party formations. As in the good ol' games, you can arrange your party in a large number of set formations. You can also construct your own formations if you want to get fancy. When moving companions, you have the ability to rotate formations for more precise positioning.

Character Creation
At a minimum, players will be able to specify their main character's name, sex, class, race (including subrace), culture, traits, ability scores, portrait, and the fundamental starting options of his or her class (gear, skills, and talents). We have not worked out customization details of character avatars, but we believe those are important and will be updating on these specifics in the future.

Companions
In Project Eternity, companions exist for both narrative and mechanical purposes. Companions are designed to have a driving interest in the player's central conflict. Their personalities and motivations open plot branches and generate conflicts for players to resolve over the course of the story. They are highly reactive to the player's actions and to the world around them. Additionally, companions exist to give players strategic management options in party composition that expand the party's capabilities in exploration, combat, and quest resolution. It is no coincidence that there are at least as many companions as there are classes. As stated above, companions are not required to play through Project Eternity's story, but we feel that they can add greatly to the experience.

The Set-Up
The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go.

The Nature of You
Your character is not required to be of any particular race, cultural background, sex, class, moral outlook, personality, organization, etc. The premise is that you are a victim of circumstance. How you choose to deal with your situation is up to you. You can bear it with stoicism and restraint or fly off in a rage at anyone who gets in your way. The world will react to your choices, but the game is designed to give you the freedom to play your character the way you want to.

Races
We are still developing the races of Project Eternity, but we are creating a range that encompasses the recognizable (e.g. humans, elves, dwarves), the out-of-the-ordinary (e.g. the so-called "godlike"), and the truly odd (?!). Races and subraces differ from each other culturally, but the races also have different physiological factors that can contribute to friction and confusion between them.

Within even the recognizable races (including humans), we are creating a variety of ethnic subtypes and nationalities. This world's races did not all spring forth from the same place, and millennia of independent development have resulted in distinctive and unconnected groups. For example, the dwarf ranger below, is originally from a southern boreal region that is quite different from the temperate homes of her distant kin to the north.

Additionally, Project Eternity's world contains some isolated races and ethnicities, but transoceanic exploration and cultural cohabitation have heavily mixed many racial and ethnic groups over time. This mixing is not always... peaceful. At times it has degenerated into genocide and long-standing prejudices are ingrained in many cultures.

(Mini Update: We are working on our forums, and getting Josh a better mic! :D -Adam)

Is anybody here annoyed at the fact these guys started asking for 1.1m from the very beginning? We still don't know anything about the game but to aim for 1.1m just to get started seems wrong. I'm sure there is overpayed people involved in the project. I don't care if they are some of the best and most experienced people in the game dev sector, to start with 1.1m with the kind of game I think (because I'm not sure) they are making is stupid. For some reason I think these guys are gonna use 500.000 to make a game like neverwinter or arcanum and then they will just split the rest of the money and put it in their bank accounts. The problem here is that we don't have enough information about the game so we can't be sure if what they are asking for is an accpetable amount but I have to say it's not looking good to me.

Back