Ga-Rei -Zero-

purplemo

Ga-Rei -Zero-

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Well, I finally got time to catch up. I'm liking it a lot more than I would have thought. Looks like this series is going to do what kure-nai did, start off with a prequel to the "current" timeline in the manga. To be honest I never found Yomi all that compelling (Shizuru was more interesting to me). And I was really looking forward to Kensuke and Kagura and not Yomi's story.

Now I'm getting more and more drawn into Yomi's past; I'm more drawn to this than Tytania or the other ones I was high up on. My only worry is that I feel like Yomi's past will carry this show to its end, much like kure-nai. As much as I'm enjoying Yomi right now, I still want to see the Yomi or Shizuru arc, not just the pre-story.

Actually this feels a lot like my feelings when kure-nai came out. Both were initially very high on my radar and then dropped a lot when I realized they were prequels. Then they began to pull me back in. At least this time around I don't know the ending to the story, so I can thoroughly enjoy this as a semi-n00b. It does have one of the better first episodes that I can recall sans bike-fighting. Well, that was actually quite good too, in a different way . . .

And of note, I'm glad to see Yomi use the iron. It's great to see that weapon come back. Almost as good as Ken-chan's "beast."

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes of this anime, Extremely compelling way of opening a series. However, at episode 4 now, it seems to be steadily heading downhill into mediocrity, I know nothing of the manga, but if episode 4 is any indicator of what's to come, then this may have gone from top to dropped.

As it is now, it's a prequel to where the manga starts off. I think it's 3 years before the manga even begins. Because Kagura has very short hair and in the manga her hair is a bit longer. The last episode of Gai-Re Zero will probably be
Kagura stabbing and ultimately killing the living Yomi with that special knife with her dead father near by. I wonder how they're going to show Kagura losing Micheal's sword though?

I agree with Purplemo though, Kensuke and Kagura are sooo much more interesting then Yomi and Kagura's past.

All I know is that I saw 3 episodes and still didn't have the slightest clue about what's going on. I wasn't even sure if the 1st 2 eps were supposed to be before or after the 3rd. Not to mention it's like every ep had different characters.

The 4th episode continues where the 3rd one left off, so the rest of the series may follow in one direction now. I also noticed they are very different compared to the first two episodes.

Sadly, this anime seemed to have gone downhill after they added an OP and ED. It was interesting take on typical shounen in the first episode, but from the second (barely) and definitely the third on, it reverted back to mediocrity.

Well, it's not that I'm not interested in Yomi's story. It is just I see this as going down kure-nai's path of doing the "pre-story" and ending before it reaches the "present." Just like with kure-nai, I enjoyed the "pre-story" but not enough to be okay with throwing away the "present" story.

The other thing too is that Kagura just doesn't quite seem the same. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the personality's different enough that it just doesn't quite feel right. Maybe it's cuz she doesn't make all those stupid faces . . . ;p

Regardless, this one will still be high on my list, if for no other reason than the pedigree.

@Quizap:
Kagura gives Kensuke Michael 12 if I remember right (she was transporting it back to the office when they met I think). After all, she doesn't quite need it after she got "Shiro." Though he was more fun with Douglas.

yeah i'm a little disappointed by how ga-rei is going...

well i might keep watching, or ill drop this and go the manga, and then if i like the manga come back to the anime as i dont see me becoming very engaged with the story line,

and i dont really like some of those over the top, im too cool for school killing people with a motor bike and a suitcase antics that are displayed... it would be cool if it was done a bit better...
i think ill stick to kurozuka for my bloody fix as that one looks promising, and shikabane hime or finish up jigoku shojo for the 'drama horror' styled one, as ga-rei feels a bit eh...

Haven't read the manga, but I really like it. I don't mind the change after episode 2.

Well I love shoujo-ai... and it is clear that Yomi loves Kagura. And that kiss was so sweet ^^

Seems like a lot of people don't really care for this anime now that it is delving into Kagura and Yomi's past. I guess maybe it's because I'm pretty invested in Kagura that I still enjoy this despite the fact that I would much rather see Kagura/Kensuke or Kagura/Shizuru. And despite what I've been saying, Yomi is starting to grow on me too. I did always feel she could have used more backstory than just the snippets Kagura and the perv showed in the manga.

Actually I'm rather drawn to this story now as I want to see how Kagura gets "Shiro" and Yomi's encounter with the shouta . . .

I guess it also helps that I went into Yomi's story "blind and dumb," something which Fireaxe can explain works quite well. He can also explain the many instances where I went into a show knowing what happened and came out horridly disappointed . . .

I'm enjoying Yomi's past more and more. It gives good insight as to why she never really truly attacked Kagura or her fiance` while being a spirit.

Well, I've been watching Ga-Rei Zero as it comes out for five episodes now (well, as they come out as quick as I can . . .), which is very rare for me. Even when my top 50 shows came out I rarely kept up as they came out. I'm glad to see Nori and Yomi act more like themselves now (though Nori still isn't the perv he is in the manga); even Kagura is beginning to act like herself. The introduction of Mei throws off what I thought might happen given
Yomi asks Kagura if she will kill her again in the manga. So I wonder if Mei still won't be the one to kill Yomi.
But that actually makes me want to watch more to see if what I thought was right or not.

Anyways, I still love this show, but I can't really call it a great show. More like this is fanservice to fans of the original work, especially given its place in the timeline.

Episode 6:
Fight scenes were awesome as usual, especially when Kagura and Yomi were fighting the copycat monster in the beginning. We finally get to see a real villain for the show and Mei supposedly dies by said butterfly villain. They revealed her motives about her too much though, so I don't think she is dead yet. I also can't wait to see how Kagura's friends are going to react. Damn cliffhangers...

No she really is dead, think back on the first episode when Yomi killed everyone. Butterflys flew everywhere therefor assuming she has been taken over by the butterfly guy(or something along those lines), And come on if Yomi were to become evil would Mei Really let her live. Therefor one of them have to be dead and if Yomi is alive then that only means Mei is dead.

Episode 7:
It definitely looks like Mei is being controlled by the butterfly guy and it looks like this is where Yomi will start to change. It looks like your going to be right Scythelord about Yomi being possessed by butterfly guy at some point in the future. I completely forgot about seeing the butterflies in episode 1.

is it just me or does the kid with the butterflies seem eerily similar to the main character from D. GrayMan ?

Back