Anime-Planet will no longer support IE6 for V3 - please update to a safer browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We've painstakingly spent hours upon hours updating our code/css to work with IE6 (which doesn't behave at all), and are finally dropping support for this old browser for V3.

In the meantime, there are two new additional versions of IE you can get instead - here's a link for IE7.

Or, you can go for one of the other browsers too, it's your choice.

You know this is the only site that has ever given me a reason to move out of my comfort zone and willingly change browsers. :P

Now I gotta decide what to go for lol.

You know this is the only site that has ever given me a reason to move out of my comfort zone and willingly change browsers. :P

Now I gotta decide what to go for lol.

I would suggest Firefox, I much prefer it over any of the others I've tried and it's way better than IE =D.

Defenitely a good decision. IE6 is so weak, it isn't worth spending so much time on compatibility because people are too lazy to upgrade a browser.

I think it's a good & long overdue decision, but also a bold one. I suspect you'll wind up with quite a few complaints about it, but it's the right thing to do.

Opera & FF are the best choices at the moment. Opera is a little better out of the box, but FF can be customized & enhanced more.
Chrome & safari (for windows) are contenders, but both are still in fairly primitive stages right now, and I wouldn't recommend either one for daily use yet.

If any of you have used IE frontend browsers such as avant in the past, you might want to try orca. It's made by the same people as avant, but uses FFv3's rendering engine.

People still use IE6??? Honestly I just can't even use IE anymore. I would suggest switching over to Firefox personally but Chrome is also good and it is relatively light weight compared to other browsers.

4% of site visits come from IE6, and there's probably anohter 3% of the PRE IE6 browsers (which is pretty incredible to me - who the hell still uses IE4/5?!). we wanted to keep supporting it (even though it often would double development time) while only IE7 was out as the percentage used to be a lot higher than 4%, but at this point we're cutting it loose :)

and i linked to IE7 because some things are broken on AP with IE8 - specifically jquery had an upgrade that we cant implement due to how much beta code is different than the live site. once v3 goes up in a few weeks IE8 will be the one we link to, but id hate to suggest peopel get a browser and then are unable to update their anime ilsts XD

Everyone should have moved on to Firefox by now anyway, but Chrome is my browser of choice. This may have been a problem for me a few years ago

I really enjoy Chrome's speed but I'm also a security nut and paranoid so Firefox still has be bound (since 2004). I don't think I've even opened an Internet Explorer browser in the past 5 years outside of when I use campus computers at the library.

The only reason I even keep that IE crap around is because I have some stuff that I have to update straight from the microsft website, and I can't use FF to do it. They MAKE you use IE. :crying:

IE8 has seemed very glitchy. I use home access to get onto works intranet from home and it only works on IE. However, upgrading to IE8 and everything stopped working.... The work techs told everyone using it to downgrade back to IE7 :p

Why they can't just make FF the browser of choice, I don't know :P

H.

Yay for no longer supporting IE6. Coding stuff according to the W3C guidelines becomes a lot easier that way. Standards ftw.

Long time Opera user here ^^

Woot nice :D

Btw long time IE (8!) user here :P
It's not because i'm lazy but because i just it prefer it above any other browser.

I develop in Safari, Firefox, and IE 6, IE 7, and IE 8 (IE Tester).

All the IE browsers break compatibility and let me tell you, creating a website that works in all of them without the use of "conditional IE comments" is crazy, it'd be a big pain in the ass to make a single style sheet work for all browsers. Firefox and Safari work perfectly for a site I make, but in all IE browsers, it's a different story.

I actually showed a person a site and got a complaint that IE was breaking the layout, it's pretty ridiculous that Microsoft won't just drop that and make something that actually works and saves development time.

Safari renders JavaScript faster than Firefox, but Firefox has tons of add-ons and seems more secure. Chrome is up there as well, but I don't like it for some reason.

Some links:

Opera isnt really great browser and most users always getting errors while surfing..

Opera isnt really great browser and most users always getting errors while surfing..
Like I said, I'm a long time user of the Opera browser internet suite. Most sites work perfectly, as long as they adhere to the W3C guidelines. The errors isn't a fault from Opera, but from the website. There are numerous discussions whether Opera should function like other browsers and detect faulty code and 'replace' it with proper one to show the site properly, but I'm not going to participate in that one here.

Let me suffice with saying that after several years, Opera is still a pure win for me. I just can't get used to Firefox because I loathe add-ons. Out of the box functionality is win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back