Black Rock Shooter

F

Face

22417l.jpg

First OVA has been aired, discuss! =)

Re: Black★RockShooter

A raw and Chinese subs, but still no english version. And it's a DVD containing 7 languages.
Mindblowing, isn't it.

Discussing the OVA itself, I will obviously wait for a good quality 'english subbed' version, but did overhear that some people are disappointed by the fact that it's basically 80% school life and 20% BRS universe. Wouldn't mind it myself as long as the execution is alright.

Also, the ending seems to hint at a sequel.
Something with Yuu turning evil in the last few seconds or something, as some sort of cliffhanger.
If it's true that there will be a sequel it would justify the possible lack of action in this first OVA, and understandable that they decided to give the 'human' characters some more screen-time to develop.

But as I said before, haven't seen it yet. So not much can be said at this point.

This is more like a prequel to me, I think there'll be another OVAs.

There have been some fake anime releases today on Tokyo Toshokan. I tried downloading this, to find out that it was only a Tim Allen movie.

This is more like a prequel to me, I think there'll be another OVAs.

That's what I thought. I'm pretty sure they're planning on more... because that made little sense if you don't already know what's going on. Definitely felt like a prequel, though.

There have been some fake anime releases today on Tokyo Toshokan. I tried downloading this, to find out that it was only a Tim Allen movie.

Same with Nyaa. I was not a happy camper.

Loved it. I thought it was really well done. It seems, if there's going to be more OVAs, Black★RockShooter's friends are all the enemies she's fighting. I like the way they did the background story. I want moar~

Oh, I've been looking forward to see this one.
Are there any english subs yet? There is mazui release on xdcc, anybody tried this one?

This was really pretty good. I wasn't expecting much, but I was actually very surprised by how sweet and good the story was. The music was also good, but for a show about a vocaloid char, I was surprised by the lack of vocals. The battle scenes had a kind of rock music video vibe going on, so it's a shame they didn't add in some. I did think the animation was kinda poor though.

Is this supposed to be an ongoing OVA series?

Last edited:

I watched the OVA and read the comments.

I have a question: what is Black Rock Shooter? :) You talk about it like it would have some kind of background. I googled it and only found a wiki and a song with the same title.

I watched the OVA and read the comments.

I have a question: what is Black Rock Shooter? :) You talk about it like it would have some kind of background. I googled it and only found a wiki and a song with the same title.

It's a manga that the OVA is based on.

This was really pretty good. I wasn't expecting much, but I was actually very surprised by how sweet and good the story was. The music was also good, but for a show about a vocaloid char, I was surprised by the lack of vocals. The battle scenes had a kind of rock music video vibe going on, so it's a shame they didn't add in some. I did think the animation was kinda poor though.

Is this supposed to be an ongoing OVA series?

It isn't actually about a vocaloid character, right? They just have similar designs, so a lot of people thought that it was.

It isn't actually about a vocaloid character, right? They just have similar designs, so a lot of people thought that it was.

I read that the creater of Black Rock Shooter made her look like Miku after he had already created her since they used Vocaloid for their band Supercell.

I thought it was pretty cool since I watched not knowing anything about it. I like the characters and I hope that they continue it.
After the credits they make a hint at it, I think

It's a manga that the OVA is based on.

It actually is about the vocaloid character with the same name (just as there have been TONS of manga about Miku Hatsune, only this time it isn't fan-made but official).

Anyway, I enjoyed the OVA, although I had hoped to see a little more of the alternate world, rather than a few shots here and there. I wasn't expecting it to make a whole lot of sense, so the bit of sane correlation came as a pleasant surprise.

Animation was entertaining. While other might call the "finesse" of the lines cheap, I call it playful, and the action was pretty fluidly animated. Music was ace too, although there was the noticeable absence of the actual Black Rock Shooter vocals (for the better imo >_>).

Rating: 3.5/5

The ending left me crying for more... in the fetal position... on the floor....
The animation reminded me of a mix between Pandora Hearts in the action sequences and Bakemonogatari during the school/real world sequences. But then again that's just me.

I'm not into this vocaloid stuff, but I was not real impressed. It felt pretty disjointed and they didn't come close to remotely explaining anything.

Are there any english subs yet? There is mazui release on xdcc, anybody tried this one?

There's a 720p upscale with 7 different sub languages and a FLAC release with stylized Eng sub. Go nuts.

I'm not into this vocaloid stuff, but I was not real impressed. It felt pretty disjointed and they didn't come close to remotely explaining anything.

The only thing that even hinted towards Vocaloids was shared character designs for the characters that got 10 minutes of screentime.
They also played BRS in the background at one point but it could have been Supercell's version.

The thing I'll complain about is that they spend like 40 minutes laying the slice of life plotline but it was all timeskips and montages. An entire year went by with nothing happening, what was the point of that?
Then everything is resolved in about 10 minutes... meaning we'll have to spend another 1/2 hour next time introducing the girl Black Gold saw will posses. at least Strength is already developed i guess.

It was mediocre in my opinion. It just felt like they joined two animes into one. It didn't fit well together. It didn't explain much, which it should later. I would like it more if it made more sense.

When Yuu was introduced I thought she was going to say, "Katanashi". (Her Seiyuu played Popura in Working, and of course she kept saying Takanashi's name wrong. Kind of funny coincidence.)

I watched the Mazui release. It was good. If anything it was the best looking subtitles. The rest of what has come out has .sub subtitles, which can't look as nice as .ass. Both translations are fine though.

Nothing of any actual interest is ever said anyway, we could have watched it yesterday. :S
The only things you'd miss is the email form her mum halfway through and then it's explained in about a minute.

It's sad how 90% of that never made it into the film. The gun was one thing but the katana was worse, only featuring in the intro, which happens god knows when.
Thees also the slice of life to fighting ratio of the trailer, which is maybe 1:10. Though thats reversed in the movie.

I'm expecting (read:hoping) that if we gets a HQ release it will be an amazing directors cut barly resembling the original, like Bakemonogatari had but with story rather than animation.

Hmm, I expected a better connection between the two worlds. It's just like they didn't have an idea how to make a story for that BRS world, so they just made a simple high school and somehow put it together.
Anyway, the animation was great, and fighting scenes were quite entertaining and eye candy.

btw. It reminded me for how long i haven't played basketball since my team disbanded :(

Back