Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri (2016)

I can't say I really enjoyed the first season, but enough so that I am going to watch Season 2. I'm kind of hoping for more from Season 2, as Season 1 left me feeling pretty much like, "Okay? So what?"

Ep 1

I don' t like the new OP as much as the previous one :/
Apart from that...

A-hole prince is an a-hole, slapping that bunny-butt. Damn you for forcefully taking that booty! I can't wait till he's shot.

We get a good set-up for more political stuff later on, but right now it felt a tad boring. Maybe it's just because I didn't come here for the politics, but for the animal girls, elfs, mages, knights, demigods and dragons.

Speaking of dragons: I WAS PROMISED A DRAGON SO WHERE IS IT? instead we get an earthqu- uhm "earthshake"? This must be the first time i've ever seen this kind of unnecessary drama. I hope it works out well.

There's also a big lack of Tuka, Magegirl and Rory. :crying:

I wish I could see the next episode already, I binged season 1 recently so now the wait is annoying :flip:

Episode 1
Well, the OP and 95% of this episode did a great job of drawing me back into this. I'm semi-hyped for this season. My main issue is the earth-shake thing. They were moving in a really interesting direction until we get into random natural disasters... it's dumb to when you have something like STDs with Otherworldly Women and then that's juxtaposed with an earthquake.

I think that Prince is an interesting character, I already kind of like him as a villain. Maybe he won't be too much of a douche and i'll actually like him as a character.

Overall, good start.

Episode 1:

A solid opening episode and another really catchy OP. I hope there won't be anything like the Tokyo arc like last season and just focus on the Special Region. More fantasy meets modern military stuff. That's what I want to see. Also, I think that prince is shaping up to be a ridiculous villain. Bunny rape and all.

Episode 1:

A solid opening episode and another really catchy OP. I hope there won't be anything like the Tokyo arc like last season and just focus on the Special Region. More fantasy meets modern military stuff. That's what I want to see. Also, I think that prince is shaping up to be a ridiculous villain. Bunny rape and all.

I don't think it's rape, just because it sounded like she consented to it. Just saying. :pokerface:

it sounded to me like she was being blackmailed/ forced though, and forced sex is rape in my book.

I thought he said she, more or less, signed up for it and had to "perform her duties" to keep him entertained. Like, she "sacrificed" herself type of deal so that those she loved could be save from his Princely Wrath.

To me it sounded like she stepped into that blackmail herself, knowing what would happen. And not that she was necessarily kidnapped. Plus, he kind of threw her away there at the end. So it seemed like she could leave whenever she wanted.

^That's what Pina, her lieutenant (or whatever rank the blonde was) and the dark elf all resigned themselves to do when the met with they JSDF for the first time. Seems like it's how things are done over there.

That being said, it's a hentai/doujinshi trope.

^That's what Pina, her lieutenant (or whatever rank the blonde was) and the dark elf all resigned themselves to do when the met with they JSDF for the first time. Seems like it's how things are done over there.

That being said, it's a hentai/doujinshi trope.

Yar, it's a completely different world and we can't really force our values onto and expect to judge it the same way that we would if that situation were happening on Earth.

I wonder why none of the soldiers are taking advantage of the animal prostitutes. I found that to be weird/unrealistic. Soldiers on the battlefield hiring prostitutes is like a troupe in of itself. Plus, our protagonist and friend are all about the animal girls. My only guess is that the military is strictly prohibiting relations like that at the moment while they continue to research.

I wonder why none of the soldiers are taking advantage of the animal prostitutes. I found that to be weird/unrealistic. Soldiers on the battlefield hiring prostitutes is like a troupe in of itself. Plus, our protagonist and friend are all about the animal girls. My only guess is that the military is strictly prohibiting relations like that at the moment while they continue to research.

I wouldn't use the prostitutes either, not even knowing what kind of STDs they could have. The ones in our world are bad enough already :pokerface:

I wouldn't use the prostitutes either, not even knowing what kind of STDs they could have. The ones in our world are bad enough already :pokerface:

But, soldiers are usually portrayed as not caring and being without the touch of another for long periods of time. Haven't you ever seen Full Metal Jacket? Although, I guess the point of Gate is that the main character isn't the conventional soldier type, but he's still kind of living the dream. Since he's a wouldbe Otaku and gets to see first hand the various fantasy creatures he enjoys.

Didn't the camera suddenly panned behind Kurokawa and showed a report file about sexually transmitted diseases in the Special Region when Misery was wondering why the JSDF aren't interested in mingling with the local prostitutes? I think that answers your question. Must be some really nasty stuff since modern medicine is non-existent in that place.

But, soldiers are usually portrayed as not caring and being without the touch of another for long periods of time. Haven't you ever seen Full Metal Jacket? Although, I guess the point of Gate is that the main character isn't the conventional soldier type, but he's still kind of living the dream. Since he's a wouldbe Otaku and gets to see first hand the various fantasy creatures he enjoys.

that'd be a no
And well, we have no idea if these soldiers aren't somehow selected so those things wouldn't happen.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter for quality of the show whether the soldiers tap dem asses or not.

Didn't the camera suddenly panned behind Kurokawa and showed a report file about sexually transmitted diseases in the Special Region when Misery was wondering why the JSDF aren't interested in mingling with the local prostitutes? I think that answers your question. Must be some really nasty stuff since modern medicine is non-existent in that place.

Yeah, that was what I was getting at toward the end of my paragraph. Likely they are unsure what kind of diseases or infections could occur, and so the military is being strict about it, and probably a lot of people just don't want to take the risk.

That being said, I still find it odd that at least one person hasn't.

That being said, I still find it odd that at least one person hasn't.

Well think about it. What prompted them to write such a report in the first place? Maybe someone actually did and it ended really badly. Maybe it's one of the reasons why they set up shop there.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter for quality of the show whether the soldiers tap dem asses or not.

Indeed, just a thought I had.

Well think about it. What prompted them to write such a report in the first place? Maybe someone actually did and it ended really badly. Maybe it's one of the reasons why they set up shop there.

Well, I feel like that's something they could of focused on. Or, maybe they will since they already showed that shot of that report.. Perhaps that was their way of foreshadowing.

Yar, it's a completely different world and we can't really force our values onto and expect to judge it the same way that we would if that situation were happening on Earth.

That's just because of this series' propagandistic tendencies with regards to the JDSF (ie. they are elite soldiers who would never do anything wrong or morally questionable).

I agree with you, and even moreso since there'd surely be otaku in the service like Itami that'd be all over it first chance they got. There's a reason brothels and the like are found outside military bases and ports all over the world.

Back