You can now mark 'hated' characters, and love/hate functionality added elsewhere!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
I'm sure plenty of you have been happily marking that you <3 certain characters, wishing that you could mark the people you hate too. Well, now you can! The button now has three states - click once for a pink heart (love), click again for a broken heart (hate), and again for a gray heart (clear status). This works anywhere you see the button - such as in the character entry page, browsing characters, in the 'popular characters' section, etc.

There's now a top hated characters of all time list, linked from the characters homepage.

But wait, there's more!

This 'love/hate' functionality will soon be rolled out across the site, in all different areas. For example, you can also mark people that you love/hate. The people homepage isn't up quite yet, but you can click any voice actor's name in the characters tabs or click a mangaka name to love/hate them as well. Very soon this functionality will be in place for studios, and eventually tags, user reviews, blog posts, everything!

Your profile now has two new tabs, one for your loves, and one for your hates. There's a box in the middle of your profile with a few items from each list you've loved or hated as well (replacing the left side box).

KNOWN ISSUES:

-Hard to tell that the button has 3 states; investigating a change
-On IE, if you have both love/hate marked for both chars and people, the box that tiles to the second row has a vertical line all the way down from the top. On FF there's a break, we need that to work in IE too
-You can't get to a list of all users who've hated an [entry] yet; will add this soon
-You can't get to a 'see all' in your profile homepage, in the love/hate area which shows a few from each type. Coming soon.
-Hate rank isn't showing up in the char entries under the avatars - will get this fixed tomorrow too

Please enjoy the feature! This one took a long time to get into place, but the back end is now pretty much set up to make setting it up across the site easier.

As always, if you appreciate this feature please consider donating - development is expensive and we're always wanting to keep adding new badass things like this; your help helps us continue! All donations go 100% towards the site's growth.

Last edited:
The <3 and </3 icons look too similar to be recognised easily (especially by people with bad eyesight like me). Maybe it would be better to have text on the tabs and use a different color heart for hate (eg: green or black) elsewhere?

Your "top hated characters of all time" link goes to the Fuushi Yugi manga page. >.>

Granted, that's just in your post. It works on the character page. Just letting you know.

Also, I feel a little uneasy about a "hate people" function. That just seems a little...bleh to me. >.>

Yes! Yes! Guess who just hated Yui IT WAS ME. Also, Chii.

Additionally, I'm very proud to see my current avatar having climbed to the top of the hate list already. My judgment clearly remains sound.

Finally, I agree with vernanonix about </3ing VAs. While certain seiyuu do make me incredibly angry, I don't really feel the need to </3 them personally. It feels harsh =/

Yes! Yes! Guess who just hated Yui IT WAS ME. Also, Chii.

This better NOT mean Hirasawa Yui :...:
;]

One thing I noticed is that when viewing the top hated characters, there is a column marked with a heart (denoting how many people hate the character) when the broken heart symbol would probably be more appropriate. Just thought I'd mention it in case no one noticed (but someone always does).

It'd also be pretty cool if there was a 'most popular' category or something where hate votes cancel out love votes, just an idea, I think it'd be interesting to browse through that.

This better NOT mean Hirasawa Yui :...:
;]

One thing I noticed is that when viewing the top hated characters, there is a column marked with a heart (denoting how many people hate the character) when the broken heart symbol would probably be more appropriate. Just thought I'd mention it in case no one noticed (but someone always does).

It'd also be pretty cool if there was a 'most popular' category or something where hate votes cancel out love votes, just an idea, I think it'd be interesting to browse through that.

good catch - ill get that updated

Also, I feel a little uneasy about a "hate people" function. That just seems a little...bleh to me. >.>
Keep in mind that the hating only applies to writers, voice actors, etc, there are no plans to allow hating other users. Also, hating them is more about hating what they create rather than the person themselves. Lastly, I don't think there's anything is the actual functions anywhere that use the word "hate", it's just a broken heart image. This means that it can be viewed as "dislike" rather than "hate".

correct. we needed to call the feature something so we went with love/hate.

'people' only refers to anime staff. for ANY other user generated content in the future (reviews, blogs, etc) or users themselves, youll ONLY be able to mark heart, not broken heart.

i just spent some time going through my anime list and marking the characters i love ...i can't really spend any time on the ones i hate which is only a few...it all amounted to 8 pages or so....

Lets work together to get and keep Makoto Itou to the #1 most hated. His stupidity is ridiculous. Sometimes I wonder if he has a brain.

Back