Cluster Edge

Aydan

Cluster Edge

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

This is a pretty boy anime, mainly geared towards female viewers. Think man love and rose scenes. I swear if you look at it without sound, you'd think that some characters on screen were girls, beautiful girls at that, with the personality to match. On another note this anime features some nice if not beautiful aircrafts, which have some nice bird like maneuvers. It has a WWII theme going for it when it comes to ships and armored vehicles, which I like. But than again it also has knights with guns that shoot lasers type beams, which seems a bit out of place. High-tech and Low-tech I guess.

Unfortunately I won't be following this anime anymore, well I might give ep 2 and 3 a try, but I always stay away form pretty boy anime, its just not my thing. It is a perfectly fine A-class anime though, fluent and nice animation, good voice actors, but it's just not the anime for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cluster Edge.

hmm I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand the setting, and the artwork are really cool, on the other hand you have borderline yaoi bishonen show, with virtually no women present ( as main chars ).

any thoughts on this?

Re: Cluster Edge.

Can't be as gay/yaoi as Destiny was. That's for damn sure. But there's a big difference between a show that has implied boy love (Cluster, apparently) and one that actually is yaoi (Loveless). It's a Sunrise show, so it'll probably at least have a good story. I don't plan on watching it until I can get commentary on it besides "it looks like a yaoi show"

I'm surprised how much Cluster Edge resembles Meine Liebe. So far, each episode has been about a different male lead (just like the first handful of Meine Liebe episodes). Plus, there are practically no girls present in both. And there are fencing matches. Cluster Edge seems more modern, though, and I have faith in Sunrise to make the story great, and not throw in some plot as the series nears the end (like Bee Train did with Meine Liebe). I like the ED. It reminds me of Mai-HiME's first ED.

It's boyxboy so... the girls might like it a lot.

mods:
Duplicate thread, delete the first one or merge please, thank you.

Last edited:
Hmm, doesn't seem too bad. The shounen-ai aspects are not excessively ostensible and the animation and steam punk setting are good. VERY feminine males though... And it is somewhat amusing how women in shounen-ai are always just background fittings, like scene props :D

Worth testing a few more eps to see if the story grows interesting enough and no puke factor manifests.

i think we need to find some women who love the shonen-ai series and their bishis to watch this so we can get better comments on it ^^_.

Wow, the amount of testosterone in this forum is overwhelming. :P I guess it would be pointless to nitpick the definitions of yaoi and shounen-ai. Loveless, while more explicit by far than Cluster Edge, isn't yaoi, strictly speaking. Sukisyo was borderline, I guess.

Since I'm a girl, and I liked Meine Liebe, I'll probably enjoy Cluster Edge. The only thing that is driving me crazy is that they named all the main characters after minerals and gemstones. It was almost okay when it was just first names, but Beryl Jasper sounds so stupid. (Hearing "Beryl-sama" also makes me think of Sailor Moon.)

Honestly, I've only watched ep1 so I can't say much about it, but I think it has potential to be a really good series. I dislike the fact that the main character sometimes looks like a girl and sometimes looks like a guy, but maybe that's just me XD

Overall, I like the art and it does seem very Meine Liebe, but Meine Liebe has a much more serious tone and mood. Cluster Edge seems much more energetic and happy toned. The main character is also not typical of the other Cluster Edge school from the looks of it, so it'll be interesting to see how he gets along with the other students.

LadyArtemis said:
Honestly, I've only watched ep1 so I can't say much about it, but I think it has potential to be a really good series. I dislike the fact that the main character sometimes looks like a girl and sometimes looks like a guy, but maybe that's just me XD
thats probably has he/she is a shemale >_>

I guess it's quite early to say, but this series keeps reminding me of Megami Kouhousei (Candidate for Goddess) when I read the descriptions and such. Perhaps that's a better comparison plot-wise than Meine Liebe? I mean, you've got the main character who makes light of everything, surrounded by much more serious people. ...okay, so there are a lot of series like that, but they just feel the same somehow. Maybe it's because they've both got flying things. I don't typically watch pilot anime. ^^;;

So watched ep2, and it's getting interesting. Not a huge development so far, seemed more like an episode that introduces more characters and the atmosphere of the academy. I do like the fact that we get more than one character's perspective.

It'll be interesting to see what "power(s)" Agate has exactly. I mean it's pretty obvious from the boat thing, turning all yellow and seeing the plane, and throwing Beryl the sword to the right hand, that he has some type of power.
It does seem a bit typical that you have the bully, the serious one, the crybaby, and the energetic/fun character, but I think it'll be interesting to watch

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo, has this show developed into something worth watching? Or is it a tad too yaoi [Gay] for the average male viewer?

I watched the first two episodes, which seemed interesting, but some of the dialogue raised a few red flags.

I don't consider this yaoi AT ALL ... not even in undertones. There's only guys in pretty much the whole series, but nothing suggests relationships more than friendships or less.

As to whether anything has developed, to some extent yes. They've gotten a bit about the artificial soldiers and have developed some political tensions and such, but honestly, I'm not so into it. It just lacks a certain something... things seem a bit random too at times, which bugs me. They haven't tied any of the different parts of the plot so far and they're not linking for me.

Um, yaoi does not mean gay. It specifically refers to depictions of gay sex. So unless you expect them to be airing graphic sex on public TV, no, this show is not yaoi at all. XP

And as LadyArtemis says, the show hasn't even gotten to the point of shounen-ai yet. I can't really say there are any two characters thus far who have even demonstrated a close friendship. One pair, perhaps.

I agree that the show seems to be lacking something. Like they introduce these really serious things that are going on in the background, and then drop them and focus on happy-go-lucky Agate, whom I'm not particularly fond of. But at least the plot isn't all full of itself like Meine Liebe's. >_>

Back