Join or contribute to TACO, an Anime-Planet club that gives rewards for contributing!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Hi everyone! As you may be aware of already, we have an official Anime-Planet group called TACO that promotes contributing to the site (reviews, recommendations, donations, etc).

TACO was started long ago and the prize list was getting a bit out of date, so we've spent some time cleaning things out, and are here to request your participation - both as a member of the club, and also as a potential prize giver!

Things we've changed:
  • Many old prizes were removed from users who aren't around anymore
  • Point values were retooled a bit
  • Any distinction between 'points before becoming a member' and 'points after becoming a member' were removed. Any reviews made before joining yield the same points as after, for example
  • Several new prizes/tiers were added for character moderator work
  • A new category was added for recommendations that are made for current season titles - they are worth double points

How can you help?

We're hoping more people will step forward to offer prizes - TACO never had a huge list of people willing to donate their time/energy to give out prizes, so when a few of them became inactive, it left the list bare. We're looking for people who can offer prizes at any level, and prizes of all types, for example:

• Creating something, such as a signature, avatar, etc
  • Something funny such as being forced to do something (update your sig, bio, avatar, watch something, read a yaoi, etc)
  • Contributing content of your own - for example, adding a new review, updating character images, etc
  • Anything else you can think of, be creative!
  • Also we're open to ideas that perhaps the moderators could do (or even I could do) - we're looking even more for people who can dole out the prizes, since the mods are already pretty strapped for time.

If you have prizes you'd like to add, please post them in the prize thread over in TACO, and Kari/Narky will help update the list.

And, please join TACO! I'll be looking to start another interesting club soon (for people who watch current anime and can help motivate others to add recommendations for them - especially with double points for those recs!), so expect more news moving forward.

Re: Join or contribute to TACO, an Anime-Planet club that gives rewards for contribut

not that it will change anything as far as i am concerned but ....why down grade the points for donations....you always say you need the cash to do stuff???so it makes no sense to me...or did i read it wrong??? which is entirely possible...

Re: Join or contribute to TACO, an Anime-Planet club that gives rewards for contribut

Donations are definitely extremely important - i just think that based upon the actual prize levels, the proportions were off. it was either lower the point value for each donation dollar, or raise the tiers for prizes, and given the amounts for other content (like recommendations, which are super valuable given the site's core purpose), it seemed like the right thing to do by lowering the 'value' of each dollar. With the old point value, making a somewhat small donation (for example $10) would mean access to a massive amount of the prizes, and you'd have to make a huge amount of other contributions (recs, reviews, etc) to get close to that. The breakdown just didn't seem fair to everyone.

That isn't to say donations are less valued, it's just about keeping prizes attainable and also being fair to people who can't necessarily donate dollars, but are able to donate their time adding site content.

I'd need to check the other point values, but I'm pretty sure we also tweaked a few others, such as upgrading the amount of points for recs (and the new double points for current series recs, for example)

oic ..well that makes sense it would seem that taking in mind the time and what that is worth monetarily ...like minimum wage or some set value.... then the time it takes to write reviews should be valued as the same amount of cash....
i really should make some other kind of contribution but i'm pretty unskilled at writing...oooh ...how about some sort of suitably embarrassing thing that a contributor could have me do for the site ...like idk ...let them have control of my sig or avvy or something????? what would anyone suggest as a prize i could donate as a reward for contributing to the site...cause i really want this site to live long and prosper...

I like this sothis! You get me so excited when I see you incorporating the members into your own projects. :)

Donating time and content should definitely be equal to donations, I agree.

I may join, I always wanted to do some recs or reviews (even though I don't have a lot of time). We'll see, this is my home now.

I would join TACO. I have been thinking about doing so for a while, but I felt like it seemed out of date so I shied away from it. I cannot offer anything artistic, but I would be willing to help with anything else. I would be more than willing to write reviews for anime/manga that need them.

PS: I donated $20 last week. I never got a badge (not my worry), but I was just hoping it went through. I think I am just being paranoid.

Anyways, I would love to help in whatever way possible.

i'm literally about a year behind in adding donations :( the nonstop server woes and endless projects (plus a job change IRL) have continuously put that on the back burner, as it's a lot of manual work. eventually they will all get added!

Thank You :) I am just glad it got through.

Back