Suzuka

ralphp2

Ubergramps
Suzuka

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

So far I've seen the first four episodes, and it might end up being a darn good series.

My first impression was of a toned-down Love Hina (male lead comes to female-only bath house to do the cleaning and maintenence work, gets clobbered by female lead), but no, it's not like that.

I'd classify this more of a romance / coming of age than the harem it tries to look like so far.

Animation is OK - not outstanding, not bad.

And I'd hate to classify the male lead as a loser - he's got some very good qualities about him, although you can see he's got some growing up to do.

RwP

Last edited by a moderator:
It is absolutely not Love Hina, harem genre, ecchi or any of those crap. It's a serious love/romance story, with sports background and slice-of-life/coming of age theme also.

Mentar has a good summary on the first 4 eps.

http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/archives/suzuka_ep1.html

http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/archives/suzuka_ep2.html

http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/archives/suzuka_ep3.html

http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/archives/suzuka_ep4.html

When it comes to Suzuka, it's easier to describe what the anime is NOT instead of what it is. It is NO romantic comedy, and it is NO harem show. The girls are still going to be cute, but they are NOT fawning over the male lead, who is NOT useless-whiny and who is NOT disinterested or incapable of a relationship. What we get instead is a fairly serious romance drama with a sports background and with some very interesting-appealing characters, stripped of alot of cliches replaced by a healthy dose of tempered realism.

In other words: This anime isn't flashy, and it won't make you laugh or cry early on. It will take a few episodes to introduce all characters and lay out the plot. 26 episodes are scheduled, and I'll be sure not to miss any of them. Feel up to it? Welcome to Suzuka.

Definitely the sleeper hit for this season, and very underrated.

hmm, at first i thought that they were going to keep the show with one main love interest but there's no way they could do that. so we now have one person (honoka-chan) who is viaing for his love, and another person (asahina-chan) who likes him but isn't the type to openly show it.

Is anyone watching this? I know I am. I think it could turn out to be one of my favorite love romance types of anime. It is 26 episodes long so it has time to develop all of the characters. That is one of the great things that are going on now. The characters are really well developed and now the wrench has been thrown in so it is starting to have some drama thrown in.
The main guy confessed way early on and was rejected which does not usually happen. Its so much like how real highschool is that thats maybe one of the reasons I love it.

Its up to episode 9 now so I would recomend watching up until 9. If you dont like it now then stop right. I love though.

no kidding. when i saw that i imediately fell in love with the series since it broke the teen angst (?? spelling) and nonrealistic view of high school that we are all so used to.

I hope I'm not deviating too much, but where do you guys get to watch this stuff? My only hope is for the free stuff from my Japanese teacher and the local anime club. Is it on TV?

What you've seen so far were the weaker parts of the story ;) ... the real good stuff is beginning now. Episode 12 starts a new arc when the story really takes off.

Mentar said:
What you've seen so far were the weaker parts of the story ;) ... the real good stuff is beginning now. Episode 12 starts a new arc when the story really takes off.

*drools* I can hardly wait!

So far it's understandable - and it's been pretty darn good story-line wise, IMO.

Thanks for posting about this series. I watched 17 episodes of it this weekend and I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. It sucks being rejected and seeing someone get all depressed and weepy like that as a result was something different. There is a slight aspect of realism to this that makes it better than most other romances. I can't wait to see the rest of this!

nods, i totally agree with that. it brings back memories of watching kimiga nozomu eien.what a great series. i just watched 17 last night, yep definitely awesome ^^_

suzuka 19 was.. immense, the episodes named "break up" and the ending is.. hehe interresting.. due to this episode tho >:( i couldni get any sleep because i was thinking about what the next episode was like, great way to spend your 18th with a headache eyh ^_-

still, i think this anime rocks.=P

I hope this does lead to something more interesting...Yamato's starting to remind me of someone who has an affinity with strawberry panties somehow...

hahahhahaha, man, i haven't read that manga in ages. i relly need to get some more chs and read it again.

P.S. do you know where i can get my strawberry fix destiny :p

Lord_Vegita said:
hahahhahaha, man, i haven't read that manga in ages. i relly need to get some more chs and read it again.

P.S. do you know where i can get my strawberry fix destiny :p

Sure. Go anime-source.com for your fruity needs. :p. I think it should be still there.

suzuka seems to be one of those series where it's very difficult to not get attached to the daily trials and tribulations of the main characters, and i appreciate the balance between humor and high school drama that feels very true-to-life. i went through 14 or so episodes in one day and i'm definitely following this one to the end.

The humor's all right...Nothing too crazy, but nothing fabulous. It's something I would expect, that's for sure, but the show isn't too bad despite a few parts of it being predictable. Still...Not too bad...

Back