Moyashimon Returns

Rastamepas

Database Moderator
[sadht=Tales of Agriculture]Moyashimon Returns[/sadht][sadhl=Moyashimon-Returns]Moyashimon-Returns[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

I had Moyashimon on want to watch for quite awhile. I then heard that there was going to be a second season so I bum rushed and watched the first season a month or two ago. I really did enjoy it. Happy that I didn't have to wait awhile for the second season

Episode 1-4

Still really good, although something seems different overall from the first season. I feel like the character designs are off, but I could just be imagining things. This is one of the few series that I actually don't hate or dislike any of the characters I think they are all pretty cool and unique. All of them can me laugh one way or another.

d(^.^) I'm enjoying this sequel so far. Seems to be in the vain of the original, but pressing plot a bit more.

I love Moyashimon! I'm especially happy that Kei seems to be getting more screen time in the sequel. I <3 Kei

H6yjF.jpg

I...uhh...never realized that the pic was so huge until now...

Episode 6
This episode was fun to watch...

Who knew pre chewed gum saliva sake from a celebrity would rake in 80,000 yen...
Just Sawaki's expression alone defies the situation.
Everyone loves fried chicken...
why not bring your kids to see a live demonstration.:balloon:
It seems as though that this week, lots of children's innocence is being decimated...
There was also the professor showdown, which more universities should be endorsing but unfortunately I don't know how to make the fight into a gif...:crying:
Professor Mikami is a BOSS

Episode 11 Final
Hahahahahah when Yuuki decked Sawaki I was fucking bent over laughing so hard. Really did enjoy this season, but not quite as much as the first. I like Hasegawa, but 6 episodes pretty much dedicated to her in a way is quite a bit. More Sawaki x Mutou action please. Also really excited at the hints dropped after the show. The i'll be back line by the microbes

Bumping this for the Buddy Group starting on Monday 5th, two episodes a day!

Everyone is free to join. =)

True, but taking a look at all the designs maybe she was the one they ruined the least. :sweat: A saving grace.

Anyway, I'm here for the cute microbes plot, so chances are S2 will be enjoyable too~

Well, the Moyashimon Returns' week begins now!

Episode 1:
Well, before talking about this episode, we have to comment the change of animation and direction (and above all the designs). The male characters remain the same, except maybe Sawaki, more stylized in comparison. And the females... in my opinion, all of them worse, more generic and teenager when before they really looked like university students. I don't find very different to Hasegawa, but Oikawa and Mutou are bad. Yuuki is in the middle, worse but I didn't found him/her so terrible, although they did him/her much more female. I also noticed that there are more over-the-top expressions and the pacing was a little faster, with very short scenes and talking more quickly in general, not too much and it doesn't bother me but I still noticed. I could manage it but probably because we were warned, who knows how we would react if we discovered those designs in the episode :frustrat:

Aside from this, it's still a Moyashimon episode with all the letters; the "educational" stuff, the unfocused and light development, the characters... It seems they are going to give more importance to Oikawa, being the only one who doesn't know Sawaki's secret. And well, we have a cellar where Yuuki and Itsuki are secretly doing... something. I was entertained and sometimes a chuckle (when Mutou acts like a puppet for example), so much the same. Itsuki's point of view about the "waste" of alcohol was curious.

And, well, what can we expect, MORE LONG EXPLANATIONS ABOUT SAKE AND FERMENTATION. And, as the other episodes, the explanations were entertaining but I forget about they were talking two minutes later because it's not a theme that I care. But I have to admit that I found interesting the "solid alcohol" (and looking on my own I found that it can be used as a stove in campings for example), and they explained the meaning of Moyashimon, which is... totally unsurprising.

So well: Moyashimon again, worse executed by the studio but not too much to pull me back.
Episode 2:
Fine episode, and this time the pacing didn't have problems. They're still investigating those hidden stairs, I didn't think it would be something so complex with secret tunnels connected and other stuff, although I'm sure it will be another light experiment.

Oikawa was enjoyable in this episode with her enthusiasm (I liked the plan of walking with the same rythm) and her opinion about biofuel was interesting. And it looks like Hasegawa and her family issues will be still treated in this season. But Mutou... now she is just the drunk of the party, I liked her when she appeared, she was more varied...

Edit: Ah, and about the new OP/ED: The OP not bad but very generic, the former was more unique; the ED ok but I still prefer Rocket.

Last edited:
I actually remembered this time!

Ep 1
Well, this still seems to be everything about Moyashimon I remember, just new stories and some new design changes. The only one that bothers me really is Mutou, but I don't hate it. I'm still learning shit that I wouldn't care about normally, and Misato and Kawahama are still hilarious. Of course Hasegawa is still awesome. Seems this season will focus around Sawaki and Hazuki, which I guess I'm ok with.

Oh and this great part

MOE!
X1rBzYO.jpg

Ep 2
Another enjoyable episode. I wish my dorm was that close knit as those guys were. Just not as desperate. Couldn't help but laugh when Oikawa said "You believe me?" and Misato was like"What? You were lying!?" Not quite sure why she was so happy they believed her, was it just because she has people who trust her? Also, what is Itsuki planning...

OP and ED not as great as last seasons, but still enjoyable.

Last edited:
Ahhhh I see. Yea I wasn't insanely happy about the character design changes as well between seasons

Episode 3:
What I expected. Although I laughed when they reacted like that with "HUMAN EXPERIMENTS" :laugh:

And Sawaki is going to tell Oikawa his secret now, for some reason I though he was going to wait until the end of the season, well, the sooner the better. All those explanations about Miso and the rest I didn't get anything, but the talks of Yuuki about how to struct their shop were nice.
Episode 4:
Seeing how the others believe to Sawaki so easily I wasn't expecting that Oikawa thought that was absurd, but yes, I loved her friendly reaction ("OIKAWA SINGLE SPORE ISOLATION!!" :laugh: :laugh: ) Aside from that, another episode treating Hasegawa's issues, moar sake explanations and a future food stall by Laurel and Hardy.

The bad point? Hasegawa's "husband". You can't see him as a real character, just as a tool of the plot to think "ohhh he's stupid bad and pathetic I hate him". Even the father is better portrayed as a character than him.

Nobody else? =(

Last edited:
Sorry guys, it was my father's birthday yesterday and I was out all day in the end. :sweat: Catching up now~

01:

I grew used to the new artstyle faster than I thought I would. Kei's eyes look creepily huge for some reason, but the rest of characters are kinda okay (note: I don't get what's with Mutou's hairstyle change). Then again, I still prefer the old one immensely. Itsuki-sensei, Beardy and Fatso look exactly the same though, haha.

Anyway, character designs aside, everything feels pretty much the same as the first season. The comedy execution, the music usage, the mood, the focus of the ''story''... Heck, for a sec I was scared they were going to throw in some pointless, unsubtle fanservice scene in the hot baths, but nah, it seems Moyashimon is still too classy for that. Glad to be back for another ride.

Although I study plenty of microbe-related stuff, my career being Medicine the ''good'' microbes take a very secondary/extra role, so the whole talk about fermentation is always pretty educational. Personally I'd like there to be a way to avoid the ''bran'' rice going to waste when it's polished, because the way they put it I'm assuming it's disposed of without ''recycling'' it. Seems like too much of a waste indeed, especially since they dedicate kilograms and kilograms of rice to producing these sake, not just a small amount. Japan is a wealthy country so I guess the loss doesn't hurt in the big scheme of things, but I can't help but think that, which is perfectly edible food, should be consumed in other ways too.

Oikawa is smelling something fishy, and I can sympathise with her not wanting to be left out of the loop. There's not really any major reason to hide the secret from her at this point, I think. So will Sawaki tell her or...?

OP and ED are okay, but I agree the previous ones were better.

8MangaMan: Ha, the moe microbes. Classic! Also, I forgot to comment on it before, but the microbes look as cuddly as ever.

02:

... Maybe I spoke too soon about the bath scene. Still, it lasted like ten seconds and it wasn't like what the first episode was playfully hinting at, so whatever.

Looks like Hazuki got the wrong idea about what the rest of the lab guys are hiding. But she may be on to something anyway, seeing how Itsuki was apparently surveilling her from the building's roof. This kind of story is a bit different from the rest in that it's not so much focused on microbes and fermentation per se. I guess we'll have to wait and see where it's going. By the way, Hazuki also got more relevance and screentime than she did in the whole first season (until the S1's two or three last episodes, I wondered what she was even around for). I also see A-P has her as main character in the entry this time.

Sormat said:
Oikawa was enjoyable in this episode with her enthusiasm (I liked the plan of walking with the same rythm) and her opinion about biofuel was interesting.

Yeah. I'm of the firm opinion it'll be necessary in the not-so-far future though (as will be many other alternative energy sources), so hopefully we're reaching a point where investigation on biofuel can be done and progress without too big a waste of crops.

I'll be watching #3 and #4 in a little while! :balloon:

Nice to see a group bumping this up.
I watched this to the end (along with Moya1) about a month ago - so maybe I'll join the discussion when you've finished.

Thanks for highlighting the s1/s2 character art differences - I hadn't been conscious of the change. Yeah, I like the s1 designs better overall.

Well the find your anime buddy thread has been crazy so I can see why some may not know we started or that hey could have forgot.

Ep 3
Thought the same thing as you Sormat, didn't think he'd spill the beans this early. Mid-season at the earliest, but they still made it work putting it in this early. So it just turned out to be an old storage space for a brewery. Not exactly surprising since I didn't know what to expect at all. Oikawa was sure disappointed though. I can understand why, it was quite underwhelming for her high hopes.

Ep 4
I didn't know not believing Sawaki was an option! I didn't think Mutou was so much of a drunk she'd be drinking that early... But they guy Hasegawa has to marry... OH GOD! What a oily fat fuck! Was he that disgusting last season? It must have been the fact he was wearing a suit last time we saw him...

Last edited:
Back