Himitsu: The Revelation

Funari

[sadht]Himitsu: The Revelation[/sadht][sadhl=1967]himitsu-the-revelation[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Buddy group isn't coming just yet but may as well do the topic already.

Episode 1:

Good first episode. The cast is so different from usual anime, and yet each member has an already engaging personality, not to mention that the main premise of this story provides so much potential. There is an infinite variety of cases that can be done with this concept so I'm pretty excited.

The actual mystery was very simple but it gives you a good idea of what the show is all about. This isn't just about solving cases it's about people and the secrets they keep. However there are also some pretty deep moral implications here with looking into a person's memory. The investigators try to zero in on what they need but it's not exact and they end up seeing very personal things about the lives of the dead. Aoki is already having some moral qualms with this concept so this is probably going to be a continuous struggle for him. Looking into the brains of the dead like this is a pretty big violation in a lot of ways.

I'm also loving the OST and art direction so far. It has a very heavy feeling atmosphere to it.

Episode 2:

The storytelling in this series is absolutely amazing. We first get a bit of background on the main character. He’s clearly a rookie (he still lives with his sister and parents), and he still needs to get used to the idea that he’s invading the privacy of the people he investigates. We then switch to the investigation of the murder of the president of America. The only clue (we don’t even get to see the face of the murderer) is a strange picture he shreds, just as he’s about to die. What is this picture, and why didn’t he want anybody to see it?

The irony is of course obvious: it’s the only clue that the investigation-department has, and they’re basically trying to find something that the president wanted to keep secret at all costs, even after his death. The rest of the episode explores the president's life as the investigation department tries to find the moment in his life where he got the picture.

There were some strong incest vibes coming from Aoki this episode. I get the feeling he's leaving home because of the feelings he has for his sister. I'm betting this is going to play a role in the death of president Reed. It could be he was secretly in love with his daughter or something maybe his wife found out and killed or something along those lines.

Episode 3:

I must say that Maki has a great personality as a leader. He’s scary, but not in the way that he loses his entire personality. This series has done really well to show that the guy's got experience. I'm not sure of he's just paranoid because of the nature of his job or if there is some deeper mystery surrounding him. Section 9 is despised because of what they do so it could just be that but I think there is something deeper going on with him.

Well this episode was interesting in that it dealt with taboo loves. The president wasn't in love with his daughter as I had predicted before but was in love with her fiance. It turns out Ross was a terrorist so someone must have realized at some point the President was gay or at least bisexual and got the idea to use Ross to lure of president out. I doubt Ross was the mastermind because he ends up dead at the end of the episode. Who knows how deep the conspiracy runs. Even the Secret Service was involved. I doubt that guy was the mastermind either and I bet he will show up dead at some point as well. I don't know whether this mystery will become the overarching plot for the show or if it will get resolved next episode but it's probably going to turn out to be a really interesting case.

Aoki is able to figure out about the president's feelings because of his own feelings about his sister. The hints were there last episode but this episode really made things obvious. So far it seems like the show is about Aoki's own psychological state as much as it's about the psychology of the victims. The series is going to develop Aoki through his psychological hang ups or that's the way things look at the moment.

Anyway I quite like the first three episodes. However I feel like they really are just scratching the surface of what the show is capable of. The cases are probably only going to get more complex and darker from here.

episode 1
seems like the show might be an anime version of a CSI show with a Ghost in the Shell vibe, the part at the end where the enhanced into the sun glasses made me think of the CSI memes...

episode 2
hmm straight into the death of a nation leader..sweet.. i know the secret service wont be so lax as that.. looks like the pres has a daughter complex

episode 3
seems i was wrong..so...the assassination is unsolved and some bodies disappear..sounds like it raise a new generation of conspiracy theorists..
im starting to get into this sow

Episode 4:

Oh wow I didn't think this episode was going to end up being this interesting. The theme of this episode… it was really pushing taboos, as it reflected an issue of modern society that even Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei didn’t want to enter: the bother that elder people are to their younger generations. The culprit is a guy who ritualistically kills off older people who aren't wanted by their families due to poverty. The one scene that really summed things up for the families side of things was where the kid asks when he can get his own room: “you’ll get your room as soon as grandfather dies”. “Oh, I hope he dies soon then”.

Honestly I pretty much immediately guessed that the old guys wanted to be killed but I was a little surprised at the level of complexity in their feelings. I think everyone has seen something where the old geezer feels worthless and wants to die so they are no longer a burden but that's where most things stopped. They never get into anything beyond these old folks not wanting to put the stress of caring for them on their family. However this episode I think takes it a step beyond that at the end when Aoki realizes these guys loved being alive which makes them wanting to sacrifice themselves for their families' sake even more tragic. They weren't just used up and tired of living they enjoyed the lives they had but through various circumstances realized they were putting an undue burden on their families because they were no longer capable of caring for themselves. Their desires were really at odds with each other.

I really enjoyed it despite the predictable premise. It's dark themes like these that really interest me when it comes not just to anime but just about anywhere. However I find most psychological stuff to be really shallow and pedantic. Himitsu manages to hit a lot of key points without being overly formal about it and more importantly it's not afraid to deal with taboos.

Episode 5:

This is going to be another two-episode arc. I like how the creators have managed so far to relate Aoki’s ordinary problems to the extreme cases that we see portrayed in the cases that have to be investigated. This episode is all about privacy and the intrusion of it. The case itself serves as a kind of commentary on what Section 9 does. At its base level what Aoki does is voyeurism. It may serve it's purpose of getting justice for the dead but it comes at the expense of the privacy of the dead. They end up seeing very intimate moments in the lives of these people and even if they are sworn to secrecy there is still some things about our lives that we don't want anyone to see. However this episode goes a bit further than that because it makes Aoki question why he is doing this at all when there really isn't anything that can be done with the information.

Kinuko can't be charged with her families murder even when it is proved that her father was covering for her. However there are deeper secrets to be revealed here and prying into this further things are going to get even more fucked up. It seems to me the father was in love with his daughter and from the note he was writing in prison I'd say he assaulted her at some point. However there is also the fact that the daughter left her door open when she was having sex and that seems pretty deliberate to me. Like she was intentionally trying to tease her father or rub it in his face. By watching the father's memories maybe they can stop Kinuko from murdering again or at least catch her for some other crime. There is certainly more going on here than just the murder of the family. This isn't just a traumatized girl there is something very cold and calculating about her.

It's interesting how these cases usually either comment on some taboo or on a human's inherent right to privacy. Right now Aoki is questioning the value of knowing secrets even if it is all to catch criminals. His boss firmly believes there is always some kind of truth to learned from what they do even if they can't get a conviction.

Episode 6:

This episode kept a lot of things unmentioned. It managed to convey it's message without being overly graphic. I like series that assume that their viewer has a brain. There’s of course a fine line between left-out information and plain laziness, but I suspect that the creators knew full well what they were doing in this episode.

This was a really strong episode and a nice conclusion to the best story so far. However I think one thing that bothered me was we didn't follow Aoki's thought process to it's conclusion. Every other time we were watching Aoki's thoughts unfold until he got to his conclusion but this time it kind of just jumped to the conclusion. It was still great but it's Aoki's thought process and psychology that drives the series so it was a bit odd to stray away from that.

Well it looks like I was pretty much right last time. Kinuko was assaulted by her father but her reaction was to start having sex with other men and shoving it in his face. He could only watch helplessly as the object of his sick affections flaunted herself before him. In turn she hated her father but she couldn't kill him so she killed the men she was sleeping with instead and then presumably kept their bodies as trophies, reminders of the power she had over them. Unfortunately her father's habit of watching her meant he discovered she her crimes so she murdered her family knowing her father was so obsessed with her that he would cover for her crimes by taking the blame. It's definitely a sick twisted case but it's all very interesting at the same time.

At some point Kinuko started to get off on fooling and teasing men which explains her interactions with Aoki. She felt he could never catch her because she had been so clever but she forgot to factor in the dog which got her caught. It was a clever move to think of using the dog's brain. I think it also served a duel purpose of making Aoki realize not all secrets are bad. Up to this point everything Aoki has seen was pretty fucked up in one way other another but see the simple joy the dog got from being with his owner reaffirmed Aoki's belief in what he's doing with Section 9. After doubting what he was doing especially after Kinuko's taunts and the general ugliness of this case he got a reprieve from the darkness of his job which allowed him to see the good in what he was doing and the value of learning the truth. It carried over into his father's diaries when he learned his father was proud that his son was working for Section 9.

This was the best arc so far and hopefully the show can stay this strong.

Right... A late start due to a combination of workdays and bad times to sleep when at home. But didn't forget this.

Episode 1

I always like my expectations to be subverted, which this did right off the bat. The guy who looks like the newcomer hero is the section's boss with a heavy past behind him, while the mentor-like looking one is the main character who just started.

Anyways. We meet the characters who I didn't get much of an impression about but there's 23 more episodes for that... other than that, the main dish is a murder and finding out why what happened happened. The man's pain of losing his wife driving him to ambush the cops to get her brain back to avoid seeing anyone look into it... can kind of understand, even if it delayed the scanning.

Well, when they got into it... I don't know enough about how brains work to know if it's plausible or not, but the memories are powerful. Especially the ones we saw briefly before they investigated more. Drives home the point this was a regular woman who was murdered, not this episode's plot device. I hope to see more of these random tidbits so that the human element stays there.

Aoki has a long road ahead of him, eh. But this was an interesting start.

Episode 2

So, the President of the U.S. this time. Doesn't get much more high-profile than this. While I hope they'll continue with regular people, too, this brings the interesting aspect of... well, the FBI hanging around pretty much explains it, in other words, they're probing into things that are basically national secrets. How ironic that by browsing through others' secrets the investigators themselves stack up secrets of their own. Has to be a pretty goddamn heavy burden to know all these things about people you've never met.

The investigation was good, I was wondering what would happen in cases the assailant wasn't seen. Also liking the fact the information is sort of unreliable because of how subjective people are in the end. They'll have to piece together something but it looks difficult... and still, I think I liked the bit with Aoki's home life the best, here. Indeed... everyone has secrets. And it's by showing practical examples like this that it really hits home.

Episode 3

I personally don't really think there was anything incestous or complex-like in either Aoki's or Prez's behavior, seemed to fall into the realm of pretty normal family love if you ask me. ...okay, except that this episode proved me wrong about Aoki, but at least he's taking steps to avoid it, whereas the President's secret... huh. They really painted Harvey in a villainous light, here, and then he goes and gets offed. And still not sure if it even was him since the agent is also a very real possibility. Guess it's Harvey/Ross's brain scan time next. And we have our first look at director Maki's past, too. It's getting better.

Last edited:
episode 4:
that has got to be one of the deepest 20minutes of anime t.v i have seen..cause i cant really think of any science or documentary shows that have approched that..subject...just..wow..

damn mar..i wish i could write like you...:!!:

Episode 3

Guess it's Harvey/Ross's brain scan time next. And we have our first look at director Maki's past, too. It's getting better.

Can't scan Ross because
his brains were scrambled by a bullet.

damn mar..i wish i could write like you...:!!:

Oh, I know. The man has a way with words, so very much.

Can't scan Ross because
his brains were scrambled by a bullet.

...right, forgot about that part, I did think of it somewhere around episode 1 but then it slipped my mind, good point.

Episode 4

Ah, so the president arc ended. ...oh, well. The episode name kinda clued me in that the old men were in on this. ...a sad episode, but also really good. I really felt the loneliness and sense of being unneeded they did. It's so sad... and also a real social problem, I think, which the guy made use of. It's still wrong to take advantage of others' pain like that, but still... yeah, the real ones to blame would still definitely be the families. ...nothing much else to say, this was just a painful episode... not in a bad way, but still painful. Reminded me of just how scary it's going to be to grow old.

Also about the plausibility of the MRI:

Science is far from a topic I know a lot about but I think parts of this are sound in theory at least. In the first episode they state that short term memories are stored in the hippocampus which is true. Now given that the brain runs on electrical signals I'd say it's possible at least in theory to jump start it a little bit if you introduce current into the right areas. Of course you'd have to get it just right or you'd just end up frying it and you'd have to get to the brain before massive cell death sets in. I have no idea if the figure of 48 hours is anywhere near plausible. I'd say it would depend on the cause of death and how quickly the body was found.

All that being said we don't really understand how the brain works well enough for any of this to be anymore than theory and of course technology has a long way to go before we could even do a crude version of what section 9 is doing. Also I'm not sure how they are translating the signals they are getting into actual video but ehh it's a cool sci-fi concept and leads to some interesting psychological and ethical issues.

Like I said there are probably better people to answer this question around here than someone that majored in history but at least this is my understanding of how things work.

^ Right, it doesn't bother me particularly, mostly just curious.

Episode 5

And this time it's a death row convict. These cases just keep coming from all over the place. Well, that's good. ...and he's innocent... of this, at least, although if dude watches his daughter have sex, there's probably some other factors at play here, too... said daughter sure acts smug the moment her dad is offed, this confidentiality law takes the cake as the stupidest thing in this show so far. I mean, even U.S. has proven executed people innocent afterwards and I'd guess that involves some kind of overturning the verdict. So, is Japan so dead set on being correct that they'd actually reject contradicting evidence? That's not just spitting in the face of justice but then also shitting on it, setting it on fire and shoving it into Papi's man-womb. Makes no sense at all.

...well, the subplot hurts my brain less with Aoki coping with losing his father. Although I don't really dig burning the diaries, if his father really wanted no one to see them I'd figure he'd have disposed of them himself. One less thing to remember him by, now.

Episode 5

And this time it's a death row convict. These cases just keep coming from all over the place. Well, that's good. ...and he's innocent... of this, at least, although if dude watches his daughter have sex, there's probably some other factors at play here, too... said daughter sure acts smug the moment her dad is offed, this confidentiality law takes the cake as the stupidest thing in this show so far. I mean, even U.S. has proven executed people innocent afterwards and I'd guess that involves some kind of overturning the verdict. So, is Japan so dead set on being correct that they'd actually reject contradicting evidence? That's not just spitting in the face of justice but then also shitting on it, setting it on fire and shoving it into Papi's man-womb. Makes no sense at all.

I think about it more like this. I doubt the MRI is considered definitive proof, I'm sure other evidence is needed before a conviction is made. They've already said memory can be unreliable because we tend to remember things filtered through our own biases and experiences. In this particular case the murders are three years old and there was already the confession of the father with the rest of the physical evidence pointing to him (because he did tamper with the scene) and any evidence of the daughters involvement is now gone. Even though the father clearly remembers the daughter is the murderer even in a pretty definitive way there is no other evidence now to back that up and on the contrary all the physical evidence that was used did point to the father. I guess it would be possible to go back and re-examine everything in light of what's known now but given the extent of the father's evidence tampering finding the truth would be nearly impossible.

For the purpose of the anime we are only seeing Section 9's part of the investigation. I'm sure they turn their findings over to investigators who then have to find physical evidence. In the first episode I'm sure they found the gun to link the man to the mother's murder. In the fourth episode they probably linked the man to the old men through various means. By evidence of him contacting the families and giving them things that belonged to the victims but also maybe through the van that he stole. Also there were other old men there to die who could probably ID him as the one that made them this offer.

...well, the subplot hurts my brain less with Aoki coping with losing his father. Although I don't really dig burning the diaries, if his father really wanted no one to see them I'd figure he'd have disposed of them himself. One less thing to remember him by, now.

Well you have to look at how Aoki is feeling at the time. He's just gone through an experience of being called a voyeur for his job by the daughter and he's seen all these nasty secrets but can't do anything about them. The last thing he wants to do is find something he doesn't want to know about his father. Aoki's life and his job are very connected. He practically lives at work so whatever is going on at work is going to invariably effect how he sees his life outside of work as well that's just the kind of person he is.

Episode 6

I was thinking it was odd that Hirai had no idea of a girl going missing for three years... but never realized he was blind until they told it. ...and then they get the data from dog instead. Burn. There are a lot of characters I can't stand all over anime, but Kinuko managed to be one of the most detestable all around. As if murdering your family and random guys, none of whom did anything to you, and the smugness upon meeting Aoki wasn't enough, she'd actually bait a blind guy who trusted him to his death? That's well beyond being a monster, already.

And yeah, with the dog they expand their horizons even more. I really like the variety this show has to offer. It could be a boring CSI-lookalike with a gimmick, but all this thinking they've put into how to use this tech and all the human elements added all over the place make this show charming. Dark, but charming. And still, as Aoki seeing the dog's and kid's memories together and reading at least one of his father's diaries, it's not all bad. Unfortunately, the very nature of the show requires that someone has to die for things to progress anywhere, but... this does a fine job of showing the emotions involved with everything. Both good and bad.

Yeah, I'm really starting to like this one, too.

episode 5
i didnt think theyd kill off thec dad like that
seems like that crazy chick is gonna go after ikko
wonder whats gonna happen between ikko and his sister...

*sighs* i did have a nice little post written up for this one.. but the computer died and wiped the post away... :frustrat::crying:

also everytime Section 9 is mentioned i think of these guys v
4201-section9_large.jpg

I think about it more like this. I doubt the MRI is considered definitive proof, I'm sure other evidence is needed before a conviction is made. They've already said memory can be unreliable because we tend to remember things filtered through our own biases and experiences. In this particular case the murders are three years old and there was already the confession of the father with the rest of the physical evidence pointing to him (because he did tamper with the scene) and any evidence of the daughters involvement is now gone. Even though the father clearly remembers the daughter is the murderer even in a pretty definitive way there is no other evidence now to back that up and on the contrary all the physical evidence that was used did point to the father. I guess it would be possible to go back and re-examine everything in light of what's known now but given the extent of the father's evidence tampering finding the truth would be nearly impossible.

For the purpose of the anime we are only seeing Section 9's part of the investigation. I'm sure they turn their findings over to investigators who then have to find physical evidence. In the first episode I'm sure they found the gun to link the man to the mother's murder. In the fourth episode they probably linked the man to the old men through various means. By evidence of him contacting the families and giving them things that belonged to the victims but also maybe through the van that he stole. Also there were other old men there to die who could probably ID him as the one that made them this offer.

...right, I let my annoyance get the better of me again. All of what you say makes sense, removing most of what bugged me about this, although it still seems bizarre to basically say "Yeah, investigate this. We already said hedunnit, so we won't do jack shit if you find proof of his innocence, though. Actually, we'll prosecute you if you say anything like that. Ta ta."

I do wonder why there was a need to make it S.I. if everyone had forgotten about it anyway, though. Seems a bit too much like someone's covering their own ass to not get any accusations of declaring wrong verdicts... although why order the investigation, then? It was still somewhat confusing... but it did also offer ample opportunities for Aoki to question his line of work, so it's alright in the end, I guess. I think some of the charm would be lost if this show just turned into routine with no inner conflicts by the people doing this.

Well you have to look at how Aoki is feeling at the time. He's just gone through an experience of being called a voyeur for his job by the daughter and he's seen all these nasty secrets but can't do anything about them. The last thing he wants to do is find something he doesn't want to know about his father. Aoki's life and his job are very connected. He practically lives at work so whatever is going on at work is going to invariably effect how he sees his life outside of work as well that's just the kind of person he is.

True. Although someone who murders people forfeits their rights to privacy, but with his inner turmoil he can't be expected to figure it all out at once. And anyway, episode 6 reversed this decision. I'm also finding it curious how many times he's been notified of being on the job almost obsessively. Got to wonder if he man has more skeletons in his closet that he drowns in work, I don't think inappropriate thoughts about your sister warrant shutting yourself in to this degree. Also curious if this lack of... anything aside from work will catch up with him. I really look forward to Aoki's story as a person, too, aside from the crime-solving side of the matter.

episode 6
well im glad that it ended like that, in the lost post i went on about how the contents of the diarys couldve ethier had some dark secrets from the dad, or had been a source of more insight to his love for his son and family. im also glad to find out that is dad knew Ikko was in Section 9 (as alot of anime just leave it at 'suggestion' and not actually confirming it; which can be a bother sometimes)

also i think the use of the dog was a bittersweet contrast to the rather dark world that has so far been presented..i do hope there are some more happy moments..

Episode 7:

It's episodes like this one that make Himitsu something special. They are short and sweet, and they still pack a punch.

In this episode, an important businessman dies. He has a large family, but the most peculiar thing is that he can't see people's faces. His entire life, he’s been working hard, though he never could enjoy much social interaction, especially in the later half of his life, I believe. As a result, he never had a good connection with his family, and refused to put his family into his will, because they’ll just waste the money he worked hard for. Instead, he left all his possessions to the one girl whose face he could see, and whom he met ten years before. That meeting made a huge impact on him. But as a result, his son got jealous and decided to kill him over it.

Interestingly enough there is an actual disorder (often caused by brain damage) that can make it impossible for people to assign identities to faces (Prosopagnosia), though the fact that there was an individual who he could recognize might. imply this character's condition was more psychological than physical.

It's a bit hard to imagine how someone wouldn't be able to see faces, but you can also see this in symbolism: the guy was married, he lived with a large family, but there was no attempt made to connect to him, which in his turn didn't give him much motivation for social interaction. I think he felt like everyone around him was around him because of his money, and not because of himself. That’s why the innocence of this little girl made such an impact on him, because she was too young to really care about his money or status. He'd probably gotten so jaded to the point where he stopped seeing people as individuals. Instead he saw humanity as masses of the same greedy, selfish traits. Everyone he dealt with wanted something from him, including his own family. He was a powerful man that climbing his way to the top changed the way he interacted with people until he met a young innocent girl that gave him one moment of happiness because of the simple pleasure she took in life. She didn't demand anything from him and was grateful for the little help he could give her.

His son was kind of retarded. If he hadn't mutilated his father's face there would have been no investigation in his fathers death. I guess his anger and resentment had built up to the point where he couldn't stand his father anymore and his hatred overrode his common sense. He couldn't see that despite his inability to connect his father still cared in his own way. He wanted his son's to make something with their own strength instead of relying on what he had built.

Another thing about this episode is it shows something good can come from even bad circumstances. The girl was kind and simple despite her mother being a cynical greedy money grubbing hoebag.

Back