The number of characters in Anime-Planet's character database is now up to....

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
When I built the character database a few years ago, it was literally only because everyone wanted a voice actor database. I figured a character database wouldn't be popular, but wanted to restrict VAs to be added only when they are attached to a certain character. So, the character database was born.

As with all other aspects of the site, we care about quality over quantity, and so there's pretty strict guidelines about how chars are added. We have tags that have explicit guidelines (and are constantly adding more), moderators must confirm all submissions before they go up, we only put up unique (screenshot) images up for each character, all descriptions are hand written (none taken from other sites), etc.

Thanks to the super dedicated team of character moderators (these guys too!)), and also our mod trainers unitzero and jtir123, we've filled in characters across a ton of series, anime and manga alike.

In fact, here's just a few examples of series that we've filled in that are insanely complete, at times, more so than other sites (including wikia):

Eyeshield 21
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn!

And the mother of all awesome entries for characters, One Piece - cassiesheepgirl has painstakingly added over 500 characters for this series, and every single one of them, including super minor characters, have a description and awesome image.

Today I looked at the total number of characters, out of curiosity, and saw that it's

OVER 38,000 CHARACTERS IN THE DATABASE

This number is crazy to me, so I wanted to post an announcement about it. Thanks to all the character mods, and also to you for submitting new entries. We're always looking for new moderators, and for people to help chime in in the Help Needed sections of Character Submissions, including the newly created Long Franchise/Series category.

Interested in other stuff you can do with the character database?

Wow thats alot of characters, Though I must say, the distinction between secondary and minor characters in OP is confusing.

With big series like that, we tend to do things like mark the main chars of each arc as secondary, and everyone else is minor. Mains are only the chars who are around throughout

It's over 9000! That means we can stop adding characters now, yeah? 38,000 is enough. >D
Well, as long as I continue getting paid, I'll continue to add.

But hooray! And good job cassie!

It's over 9000! That means we can stop adding characters now, yeah? 38,000 is enough. >D
Well, as long as I continue getting paid, I'll continue to add.

But hooray! And good job cassie!

Even if you don't add any more theres still plenty to finish off with images, tags and descriptions ;)

Good job, everyone! Thanks for all the information you are making easily available to us :)

With big series like that, we tend to do things like mark the main chars of each arc as secondary, and everyone else is minor. Mains are only the chars who are around throughout

I assumed that, thats why I'm slightly confused by Conis and Dalton being secondary, and Trifigur law being minor. For the most part I agree, I just found some of the choices odd.

I assumed that, thats why I'm slightly confused by Conis and Dalton being secondary, and Trifigur law being minor. For the most part I agree, I just found some of the choices odd.

If at any time you believe there is something to be incorrect with a character's information, please edit the character and submit the changes; they will then be dealt with by us moderators in the character submissions forum. While I cannot speak for One Piece because I haven't seen much of it, other character moderators have and will be able to update as necessary. : )

Conis and Dalton played large parts in their respective arcs and got a lot of screen time hence why they got secondary. Trafalgar Law is currently minor as he's barely had any screen time in the anime, though judging by the last manga chapter I read he'll likely be bumped up to secondary at a later date.

Congrats on such a high number of characters! And let it be many more in the future. =)

P.S. I think if the guy from Body Guard had been, say, #40000, we all could have died laughing right here.

Back