Psycho-Pass 2

Agreed on all points.

I really can't wait to see badass Akane, and I imagine the way she's now will create some friction with the new recruit girl, who I'm guessing will be kind of like her in the old days.

One of the key aspects will be a strong antagonist character. Please let that happen. :love:

I'm also curious about what themes the new season will explore within the Sybil system. The touchy part is getting new interesting stuff to develop without changing or deviating too much from what the first season already built.

Here's hoping the writers will find their footing in all aspects. :love: The season being half as long as the first we need to keep the expectations realistic, but it still can be all kinds of good.

I didn't think I'd ever be typing these words but I hope to god the writers too a lesson from Free Eternal Summer and let Akane develop a bit between season like Rin. Obviously, the type of development is not going to be the same, but I do want to see what Akane has formed into after the end of the last season and is probably the thing that is going to be most interesting about the new season.

With only one cour we'll never get a villain quite as interesting as Makishima, but hopefully this show won't lose the world building and themes that made the first season great.

After Mushishi this is the show I am looking forward to the most.

I just really want to see what has happened after we last saw them. Can't wait like everybody else said before me.

Badass Akane? Haha, Hanazawa Kana doing badass, though really she wants to do evil characters, INB4 evil Akane.

Hm, I'm a tad worried that good ol' Urobutcher isn't writing it this time around. But it's been handed over to the guy responsible for Mardock Scramble, and that was pretty decent, so we'll see. So, high hopes.

Damn, she looks awesome there. Hopefully this a good sign for her development as a character because I could never imagine the Akane from the beginning of the series being able to run with such confidence and ready for action.

Ohhh yesss, I fucking love that key visual as well. Potential criminals will cry.

Another great thing I learned today about the movie is that Urobuchi is actually involved in the screenplay for that one, which makes me glad he's not completely out of the franchise after its first iteration.

As for Ubukata, he's done pretty cool stuff before, like Chevalier D'Eon, so I hope he'll be up to par in this S2.

I just saw a pretty sweet promotional visual for the movie that's to be released after this season ends. Just look how badass Akane looks, she's totally ready to throw down. I'm so ready for this season to start.

xJaUtor.jpg

Oh Akane, look at how much you have grown.

Ok. I'm ready. Pumped. Friggen' bring it. Come on.
... broadcast is on the 10th. Goddammit.

I was dissapointed for the ending of season 1, but Im curious how it will develop further so this is on my to watch list :)

I rather saw Makishima being caught instead of killed

I rather saw Makishima being caught instead of killed

I don't think it would have been possible for him to survive. They'd already caught him once and we all know how that worked out. Even given I think he needed to die for thematic purposes, Makishima was not the kind of person that could be kept caged and making him a part of the Cybil System would have likewise lead to catastrophe.

But it would be more interesting, at least in my opinion.

Akane on the inside, slowly being promoted towards the top while agreeing this system is for the best . Shinya back at his post, still trying to find the then once again dissappeared Makishima. Makishima absorbed into the system, perhaps even struggling/scheming something to break free and to take down the system again. Shinya would discover the systems truth because of his digging or because of the struggling Makishima. Could lead to a Akane vs Shinya confrontation.

What would you choose? Is the system bad or is it better this way? Would you hide its secret to protect stability and peace? Or would you reveal it all, freeing the masses but possibly leading the country into chaos?

Now they basicly start from scratch again, everything is possible. Also interesting and less predictable, but it has lost alot of momentum. Because how will the story continue? Will the new girl be the new Akane? Has Akane given up and does nothing more as her job? What will Shinya do now he killed Makishima? What happens with the system?

it is unpredictable now but I would of prefered a chance on an Akane vs Shinya confrontation and the chance of the system being taken down, with the possibility on chaos. Not that I want the show to end but it it gives you a clues on the goal/end.
And probally more action ;p
It took till ep 5 (reveal of Makishima) before a real story became clear and till ep 11 (murder of Akanes friend) before it got really exciting for me. The beginning was slow and at times boring (for me).

Episode 1:

There was a ton of awesome shit in this episode. The pace starts off great without wasting any time on filling in the story so far but jumping right into a new case. In a lot of ways this episode pretty well mirrors the first episode of the first season, which if I am being honest showed a lot of promise but wasn't really great. I feel the same way about this episode, it is good but not great. It's filled will those fuck yeah moments for Akane as she has developed nicely, but at the same time her dialogue felt slightly off. It was good for the majority of the episode but the very end when she giving her speech to the criminal, it felt too simple and a bit too cheesy for this show. Akane has always been an optimistic character in a world that is pretty pessimistic, but her speech here crosses the line to cheesy optimism and might have gone down better if done in the more flowery style of the first season.

However, I can't help but love how self assured she has become. This episode makes clear what her decision was at the end of the last season. She has sided with the system but won't give up her morals. She is confident but still very much the same character and despite my reservations about her last speech I am so pleased with her development between seasons. She has grown up and made her decision and because of her new assurance she can even cause the Sybil System to change her mind and this is pretty damn awesome. What she did is more complicated than that even if she states it that way, but the point of it all is that people can be saved and that's always been Akane's goal.

I also like that Akane has become a better strategist and even a bit cold in some regards. She kept her team back when she realized it was a trap and let the other team go trigger the bomb. This and Akane versus the robot were both perfect fuck yeah moments that I adored.

I also loved the way the episode starts with the enforcers being shown and just from their eyes you can see they are different. The episode doesn't explain that they are latent criminals, but just from their eyes you can tell they are a bit wild feral and different from everyone else. The moment where they first grab their Dominators it's one of those shit is on moments.

However, this is where I get to my main problem with the episode, the new characters. They are thrown at us rather fast which is fine but none of the new guys leave the instant impression that Kogami had and I miss Ginoza's father as well. I know things have changed but even in the first episode of season one those guys left a much stronger impression than any of the new character. It's true the new Akane doesn't need those mentor characters now, but their presence is missed. Akane has already chosen her path so I don't expect the same philosophical battle as the last season but at the same time this season is going to need a better foil for her than the new agent whose name I didn't even catch. She was just there to contradict and question Akane so Ginoza could explain her motives and honestly it's sloppy and obvious. I got Akane development just from watching her reactions and I didn't need it spoon fed to me.

The new enforcers definitely look cool though even if they don't get a lot of time to shine this episode. I'm just hoping someone steps up to become more interesting. This is just the opening episode and mainly just a reintroduction to the world with the post credits scene hinting at where things are going. This season is going to be more focused on Akane being an actor in the plot rather than someone that is observing trying to figure out where they stand, which is cool but I definitely want me some more of the philosophical dialogue of the first season and this episode was a lacking in that regard.

There were also some great background details in this episode to show how things have changed. Now they're shilling drugs to keep your hue clear and it seems like anxiety and fear are even higher than before. Do you need the drugs or do you risk your hue staying clear. It's an interesting addition to the world that can also been seen to comment on the drugs of questionable use that flood the market in our world. It's something that was just floating in the background but it is a more subtle bit of world building that also helps to reintroduce the setting.

The bomber this episode wasn't that memorable and it might be part of the problem with the writing seeming pretty plain. He's more of a starter villain to show off Akane's new skills which is all well and good to start off with I guess but coming off the highs of last season, it's a bit too plain Jane.

Overall it is a good episode with a lot of high points, but it doesn't quite hit the mark of greatness. A few things feel off but that is probably just because the new season is just starting. There is a ton of potential here and I need to see more to really know about the writing of this season.

I am pleased this didn't suck, I am pleased with the progression but now I want the meat of the series back. This is going to only be eleven episodes so I hope they jump into the plot next episode and introduce a good antagonist to play off of Akane. The post credits stuff gives me hope that it's going to go in that direction. Just hope they haven't really dumbed down the dialogue.

I loved the new OP and the Ed was pretty good too. Music in general was solid.

Episode 1:

It was an action piece, the subtlety in writing was completely lost in this episode but then again the first episode of the original season was not very subtle either. Considering the writer mentioned by someone else being the writer for Hamatora we can expect absolutely no subtlety this entire season I guess. As long as he doesn't bullshit the anime's climax together like the climax of Hamatora was a pile of bullshit sown together with plotholes this anime should still be able to end up being fine. The atmosphere was fine this time around and the reappearing characters, few as there were were fine as well. I honestly enjoyed this episode despite it's flaws and hope that it at least continues to have this amount of quality at least.

Looking forward to the next episode and hoping that in the end there won't be as many plotholes as in Hamatora or at least less blatantly obvious ones than in Hamatora, I hope that's not too much to ask.

Back