Antique Bakery

Shirono

[sadht]Antique Bakery[/sadht][sadhl=2067]antique-bakery[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Antique Bakery is an outstanding four volume manga that won Fumi Yoshinaga the Kodansha manga award in 2002. I was so SHOCKED to hear it was being adapted into an anime, but I thought, "this is a very important and beautiful manga. Surely, they will adapt it to anime with great respect and quality."

Boy, was I wrong. I'm so sad. I watched episode one, and it is downright horrible looking.

While the plot involves a one gay man (of four), it is hardly a yaoi manga. Its more of a "slice-of-life", homey tale with a bit of mystery thrown in. Very grounded in real life, real problems, real expectations. It was incredibly intelligent as well as drawn and written BEAUTIFULLY.

-But this anime? It looks like a cheap adaptation of a bad yaoi. Not only is the actual character animation poor— a washed-out, feather-shaded mess of poor rendition— but ALL of the backgrounds are computer generated and it looks TERRIBLE. If you're going to adapt an award-winning manga with such a pittance of a budget as to create THIS, why do it at all?

I'm so sad.

+On the other hand, so far it looks like the plot it 100% in tact, very close to the manga, which is a plus, and I must say, the opening theme animation is really really wonderful, styled like a paper-cutout diorama.

Anyone else catch this series? I'm highly anticipating the next couple of episodes to see if its worth watching despite the horrible animation.

:!!:

...seriously, though, I watched the opening theme about four times...

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Antique Bakery (Western Antique Cake Shop)

I watched the first episode, I thought it was interesting. It doesn't seem to be setting up to be a crazy yaoi anime, just happens to have homosexuality as one of the 'topics'. I'll probably follow this series for a couple more episodes before I pass any real judgment on it thought, seeing as I haven't read the manga.

Episode 2 out.

I'm very pleased with the adaptation of the story, it's been shortened but nothing has been left out so far. I can't wait to get to the meat of the plot.

I really do have a beef with the visuals and the 3D stuff, but I'm going to keep watching because it looks like they will do justice to the story.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure if this is really like anything else... ha ha...

...I watched episodes three and four yesterday and I think the quality of the adaptation (both story and character design) is enough to squelch my hatred of the 3D stuff... I seriously can't wait for the next ep, but that may just be because I'm so thrilled to see my favorite manga come to life. I don't think I can impartially tell if its awesome if you haven't read it, but I'm certainly thrilled.

I'm so happy that Chikage finally showed up! He's my favorite character.

I really like this one so far. I've never read the manga, so this is more of an objective view of the anime. I don't think the animation is so terrible; I just think it is stylized. All the characters are well rounded and its still pretty early in the series. It also doesn't hurt that I have a major sweet tooth and all the desserts look super tasty :smile:

I'll try really hard to think of good recs once the site is back up.

An anime with shounen-ai elements but that's also good? I will keep an eye out for what you guys say in the future before I pick it up. I love shounen-ai - I just find good stuff so very rarely. Even better if it's just incidental and the story just happens to be very good. Great stuff.

Up to ep 5... Looks like some of the secondary character's developments have been cut out (ie, reporters) which is a little sad... they were really fun characters.

Otherwise the show is playing out just fine, I think.

And yeah...if theres ever an anime that will make you WICKED hungry!

^^ omg yes sooo hungry while watching this

I can't stop laughing! it's very funny to me.

I can't wait to hunt down the manga to this!

Episode 1:

What the hell is witha ll the CG backgrounds? It looks so inconsistent with the hand-drawn people. Although the comedy is not bad at all.

EDIT: Very good ending - seems like this is going to be a proper drama, not the cheese-fest that so many shounen-ai are about.

Episode 3:

HAHAHAHAHA!
Gay of Demonic Charm prancing around in the rain to attract Chikage. Tooooooo funny!

Last edited:

*giggles*

i had to pause it cause i almost fell out of my chair laughing :P

Yeah, the comedy is great! And the characters are so endearing.

Episode 4:

My favourite quote of all time: 'Oh. He is so dreamy! I want to violate him...' And poor Chikage!

Episode 8:

Very hilarious revelation at the end - I laughed my head off. Although, I'd sayit's also the most weakly plotted of the episodes so far.

My overall impression so far is that it's a very charming anime with some highly original characterisation. So pleased I picked this up! ^^

is this food-related enough for the food tag? most of the food ones are centered around food, like chcolate underground, fighting foodons, cooking master boy, etc

is this food-related enough for the food tag? most of the food ones are centered around food, like chcolate underground, fighting foodons, cooking master boy, etc

Yes. It's VERY food related. They work in a bakery, the best animation has been spent on the food (if that's even possible), and every episode is about how amazing Tachibana and that young guy can cook. Plus, the show makes you REALLY REALLY want cake.

Yes. It's VERY food related. They work in a bakery, the best animation has been spent on the food (if that's even possible), and every episode is about how amazing Tachibana and that young guy can cook. Plus, the show makes you REALLY REALLY want cake.

I definitely agree. I think some of the best animation in this is on the cakes and sweets :P

Episode 10:

Hmmm, uncertain how to take this. I wish the comedy would keep being the main element. It's becoming more of a serious drama, and I'm not sure I care that much.

Back