Japanese in.......? - Page 2 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #11
mussolini
Otaku

Default Re: Japanese in.......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grach View Post
Still think that Japanese sounds much better than English by far.....
I went out of my way to make it clear that I wasn't making a value judgement, so why act like I did? At least in terms of pronunciation, Japanese is a far simpler language than many others. Doesn't make it better or worse.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
Grach
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Send a message via Skype™ to Grach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussolini View Post
I went out of my way to make it clear that I wasn't making a value judgement, so why act like I did? At least in terms of pronunciation, Japanese is a far simpler language than many others. Doesn't make it better or worse.
I was merely stating my own opinion on how pleasurable to the ears the languages are.....didn't think it would be much of an issue.

Clubs & Stuff:
Grach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #13
CaptainSlow
Otaku

Quote:
You'd be correct on that. Though I doubt it'd be easy to render in Hebrew.
It's possible. (Look under the header "האותיות" to see what I'm on about) This may be a stretch and maybe mussolini can correct me on this, but how else would a native speaker of Hebrew learn the pronunciation of Japanese syllables without having a phonetic transcription into their language (aside from rote speaking a la Rosetta Stone)?

And no, "by using romaji" is wrong. (I think. I'm pretty sure romaji is used by native speakers of English and Romantic languages. Might need someone else's help in correcting this. I was an English teacher, damnit, not a LOTE teacher.)

Not sure what you mean by "easy to render" though. Unless you're refering to phonemic differences between the two possibly leading to incorrect transcribing or something.

CaptainSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #14
mussolini
Otaku

Quote:
I was merely stating my own opinion on how pleasurable to the ears the languages are.....didn't think it would be much of an issue.
You framed it as an objection to my earlier statement and I addressed it appropriately and explained your apparent misunderstanding. Opine however you want (but, while we're on the topic, I personally think deciding that one language is more beautiful than another can only do both a disservice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
This may be a stretch and maybe mussolini can correct me on this, but how else would a native speaker of Hebrew learn the pronunciation of Japanese syllables without having a phonetic transcription into their language (aside from rote speaking a la Rosetta Stone)?
I'm neither a pedagogue nor a linguist but I think I've read about some method by which learners follow the progression of a child learning the language "organically" (though I also seem to recall reading something about why this shouldn't work for adults, come to think of it). No doubt using one's native tongue as a starting point is the most common way (and evidently works for a lot of people).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
I'm pretty sure romaji is used by native speakers of English and Romantic languages. Might need someone else's help in correcting this.
Japanese also use it for some things. It's just the Japanese word for the Latin alphabet (literally "Roman letters"). I imagine that Germans, Scandinavians, any Slavs who don't use Cyrillic, and pretty much anyone else using the aforementioned alphabet or some variation on it, would also use it in the learning process. Hepburn system was designed with ease-of-use for English-speakers in mind, whereas Nihon-siki is geared towards regular and 1-1 conversion. But either one of them could be appropriate for non-English-speakers.

Now in my own experience romanisation is only really helpful early on, before hiragana is learnt, and of course the kana is inherently better to learn with because it reinforces understanding of the sounds used in the language. But I'm aware that some online/electronic resources and the like do use a lot of romaji.

Last edited by mussolini; 07-24-2013 at 06:26 PM.
mussolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
Grach
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Send a message via Skype™ to Grach

[QUOTE=CaptainSlow;1400029
Not sure what you mean by "easy to render" though. Unless you're refering to phonemic differences between the two possibly leading to incorrect transcribing or something. [/QUOTE]

By "easy to render", I meant "easy to transcribe phonetically" - I just didn't do a good job of saying so

Quote:
You framed it as an objection to my earlier statement and I addressed it appropriately and explained your apparent misunderstanding. Opine however you want (but, while we're on the topic, I personally think deciding that one language is more beautiful than another can only do both a disservice).
If it came across as an objection, I am most apologetic. It was merely a statement of thought on my part; normally something I attempt to refrain from doing. Also, I do have respect for the English language, seeing as how it is becoming the 'universal language'. I once again apologize - fully.

Clubs & Stuff:
Grach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
carrie32
Narumon Z

best of luck finding 'languages' "mutually similar" to Japanese people. One concept suggests Japanese people as the nearest comparative. If you're familiar with loanwords either way you'll see that the phonemes are rather different.
carrie32 is offline   Reply With Quote