Japanese Expatriate Market Locations - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Panta
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Send a message via Skype™ to Panta
Default Japanese Expatriate Market Locations

I figured this might be the best place to post this, since looking at a few of the other topics it's not all about the language. Also, it might be a helpful reference point for people with a similar problem as mine.

I'm looking for authentic Japanese markets/grocers/food suppliers, somewhere I could easily drive to. Ordering online isn't a problem either, but I need something that's in the South Yorkshire area of England. I know this is a stretch, but I'm hoping there's some British users here who have had experience with one or two supplier chains and could advise me.

I've tried Sushi Sushi before, as they're within driving distance so I could get a look at the place I would be ordering from. Although the internet has mixed reviews for this place and I've only been once.

There's also Tazaki Foods that operate through Amazon. They also sell their basics in supermarket branches like Tescos.

I can't seem to find much more up north. Everything I've seen online is based in London or down south. It would be so convenient if we had something like an Arigato chain up here.

Panta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Grach

Send a message via Skype™ to Grach
Default Re: Japanese Expatriate Market Locations

Don't know if this will help, but....

Have you looked for any Vietnamese/Chinese markets? Some of them occasionally stock Japanese foodstuffs and items, and that's how I got most of my stuff before the local expatriate Japanese market opened up. So there may be one in your area that might carry Japanese items.....

Clubs & Stuff:
Grach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
DontStay
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to DontStay Send a message via Yahoo to DontStay Send a message via Skype™ to DontStay

^ This. I find many Japanese stuff in our local Korean supermarket.. which is where I go usually, but there's plenty of other Asian stores not necessarily that sells everything from japan.

Stats/Claims:
DontStay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
mussolini
Otaku

I would offer the same advice re: Chinese and Korean supermarkets, but I'd also like to mention that if you're especially concerned with "authentic" Japanese products then you might want to check that it's not in fact a Taiwanese import as they often use Japanese on packaging. I vaguely recall that Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia may occasionally do this, too.

Last edited by mussolini; 08-07-2013 at 08:51 AM.
mussolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Panta

Send a message via Skype™ to Panta

That was one of the criticisms of Sushi Sushi importing Chinese ingredients. I'm not sure whether to believe it but it's made me wary. My uncle mentioned a Chinese supermarket just a 20 minute drive away, I could check that out at the least. Really all I need that I can't get in normal markets is stuff like dashi and herbs/stocks.

Panta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Grach

Send a message via Skype™ to Grach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussolini View Post
While I would offer the same advice re: Chinese and Korean supermarkets, but I'd also like to mention that if you're especially concerned with "authentic" Japanese products then you might want to check that it's not in fact a Taiwanese import as they often use Japanese on packaging. I vaguely recall that Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia may occasionally do this, too.
Didn't know that at all.....most informative. Thanks! Looks like I'll be looking at some of that stuff a bit more now....

Clubs & Stuff:
Grach is offline   Reply With Quote