Vocabulary practicing software - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
Tolle
Narumon Z

Default Vocabulary practicing software

こんにちは!

I'm currently preparing for a semester at Kansai University, Osaka (I still don't know if I'll gain admittance), so to better my chances at getting in, I've been learning Japanese when I have time. Everything is going well for now, but I'd love to learn more general words.

I've studied in a foreign country before, and I remember some of my, then, co-students using a piece of software which would help them expand their vocabulary - does anyone know the name(s) of this/these piece(s) of software?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

- Tolle

Edit: They used it for Spanish, but as far as I know, it could be used for a bunch of different languages.

Last edited by Tolle; 04-08-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Tolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
CaptainSlow
Otaku

Default Re: Vocabulary practicing software

There's a flashcard program called Anki that apparently works well, you'll have to find the vocabulary decks yourself though.

Curator of the Bishounen Appreciation Society. Come and ogle pretty boys with us!
Member of the Bishoujo Club and the Megane Club.
CaptainSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Madoka
Otaku

Anki is generally used for learning new words so it could be useful, but it is aimed at revising and testing yourself... though it can teach new words it probably isn't the best to learn from.
Some praise Rosetta stone to this day (constantly), i only ever used it a tiny bit so i can't say much but to me it was good for learning new words (not so much grammar for me... or sentence structure... all i got was new words so it might prove handy).

Madoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
Tolle
Narumon Z

Okay, I tried Anki just now, and it seems the only decks I can find are too advanced for me at this time, since they, as you said, only really review words you already know... or they're written in kanji :/

I'm already using Rosetta Stone, but I actually felt like I wasn't learning new words fast enough, so I wanted to boost that by having something else at my side... When I spoke with my Chinese friend, he told me I could take a dictionary and just go through it. That level of commitment... sniff... I'll never reach him xD
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Tolle
Narumon Z

A-P lagging - resulted in double post.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Mizuchi
Narumon Z

you can use memrise.com too :)

Mizuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
HahaTriangles
Narumon Z

Hey Tolle this is a felly good website which i use just for the basics, http://www.csus.edu/indiv/s/sheaa/pr...nki/index.html

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
HahaTriangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
ParaParaJMo
Anime Guru

For ipad and/or iphone, I strongly recommend JLPTselfstudy. It is really good and covers all 5 levels of the JLPT.

Be sure to check out: www.youtube.com/hajimenojmo and his top 50 anime at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kngwg5N5APw
ParaParaJMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
TCTriangle
Anime Fan in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaParaJMo View Post
For ipad and/or iphone, I strongly recommend JLPTselfstudy. It is really good and covers all 5 levels of the JLPT.
Thanks for the suggestion, downloading it right now! I'm planning to take the JLPT this December. Sucks though that the free version only has N5, since I'm planning to do the N2. Do you know if the paid version is worth it, or should I just get some practice books and do it the old fashioned way?