How to learn Japanese - Page 5 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #41
mussolini
Otaku

Default Re: How to learn Japanese

These aren't sensible questions. You need a concrete goal to get a concrete answer, and even then that answer will depend on your ability and your resources. With that in mind I'll try to give a general method for learning kanji in a regular and not-too-time-taxing way.

Good starting point would be to focus on the Kyouiku Kanji (the list is available online). Try for 20/25 a week (4/5 per weekday). Review and self-test (have pronunciations in hiragana and answer with kanji, or have kanji and answer with pronunciations in hiragana - ideally both) every weekend, and when you've finished studying a grade, spend a week revising the whole lot, and set yourself a full test. Testing is important because it alerts you to any gaps in your knowledge, and constructing tests for yourself also counts as practice. If you leave yourself between 30 minutes and an hour every day, you will pick things up quickly provided you have some knowledge of the language already (vocabulary, pronunciation/intonation, grammar, hiragana and katakana).

And of course, you should supplement this study with reading. There are plenty of resources for learners around, but you could also try out some manga targeted towards a young demographic (things like Doraemon) or push through a shounen title (better if you have a kanji dictionary).

Bear in mind that this is advice offered on the assumption that you have some familiarity with Japanese already. If not, you can use the same process for hiragana and katakana (perhaps learn them at the same time, the matching 25 of each a week, so you can focus on not getting them mixed up). The rest comes from reading/listening; you'd just have to find some lower-level resources. But don't study kanji until you have a decent foundation.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #42
Barry
Narumon Z

I'm looking for mp3 audiofiles where I hear the English and Japanese words.
For example: Hello - Konnichiwa

All the audiofiles that I have found are Japanese only. Most of the time they are part of a teaching book.
The reaon I'm looking for this, is that I want to learn Japanese while I'm driving in my car (6-8 hours a week). Those hours are now lost.

I'm already learning Japanese from a teacher and a book but I want to improve my vocabulary.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #43
Bestanimeserie
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I'm looking for mp3 audiofiles where I hear the English and Japanese words.
For example: Hello - Konnichiwa

All the audiofiles that I have found are Japanese only. Most of the time they are part of a teaching book.
The reaon I'm looking for this, is that I want to learn Japanese while I'm driving in my car (6-8 hours a week). Those hours are now lost.

I'm already learning Japanese from a teacher and a book but I want to improve my vocabulary.
What you might want to try is japanese101 (i think it's called that) basically it's two people talking about a few words every episode (wich lasts for 5 minutes or so) you can sign up for free and try it out for 7 weeks it might not be the best thing but it might be worth trying.

My Clubs & Claims
Bestanimeserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #44
Confringo
Narumon Z

This is the route I took with German;

- first learn word form before you begin the symbols, you can enable something in windows so that it auto-translates to symbols for you which may help -

1) Learn basic keywords and phrases. (eg. Hello, Goodbye, Welcome, What is your name?, When is your birthday?)

2) Learn verbs that come up a lot (have, want, would like to, should, must, am)

3) Start learning keywords, set a theme to it. (eg. Hobbies, Food, School) Aim for 20 a week, then test yourself at the end of each week. Any words that you got wrong, write them out 10 times each and then add it on to next week's test. This helps you remember them.

4) Begin to learn grammar rules and how they differ from English. Try and apply these to sentences in Japanese.

5) Learn how words change in different tenses. Try and remember these!

6) Start learning the symbol alphabet, learn which letter is which symbol and then eventually you'll notice how it works.

Hope this helped, this is the approach I plan to take when I finish my German GCSEs. I'll probably have to learn French after, but i'll pay more attention to Japanese.

★ Josh - anime noob ★
Confringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #45
Sianeka
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to Sianeka

Pimsleur is a good system for learning audio and in car. It doesn't teach visually at all, and is best for encouraging spoken Japanese. Lessons are in the form of conversations, and emphasize developing your spoken Japanese skills.

My clubs:
Sianeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #46
Barry
Narumon Z

Thank you for your answers.
A friend of a friend recommended Collins easy learning Japanese but I will look for the other options.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote