Simoun - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 08-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
XMrNiceguyX
Head of the Pokémafia Propaganda department
Anime Fan in Training

Send a message via ICQ to XMrNiceguyX Send a message via MSN to XMrNiceguyX Send a message via Skype™ to XMrNiceguyX
Default Simoun

Simoun

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

This series plays in a fnatasy world where every kid is born as woman, yet upon turning 19 they get the choice to become either male or female. That is, unless you are the miko (pristress) of airships called simoun, seen by other countries as demonic creations and hunted for their technology. Being such a miko, you are allowed to goto the "spring" to be a man or woman. The main focus of this series seems to be the actual war for those agile and fast battships which are manned by two pilots.

Since the main characters of this series are mostly (if not all) female, there is a somewhat shoujo-ai feeling to it, especially if you see how the simoun need to be "booted up". Yet it's an quite interesting setting with some interesting occurances. I'll be following this one as it reminded me quite a bit of Kiddy Grade and Stellvia of the Universe.

Watched upto episode 3, subbed upto episode 13 (26ish eps planned) by Simoun-Fans (episode 4 to 13) and Doremi Fansubs (upto 5)

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 06-25-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Edited to use newer header format.
XMrNiceguyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Wolfco

Default Re: Simoun

This isn't a bad series. It is a kind of normal sort of demonstration of how fighting in an unending war affects different kinds of people. Although the shoujo-ai aspect of it is very heavy, that actually serves to accent the philosophical arguments rather than to override them. As MrNiceguy indicates, everyone in this world is born female. For that reason, gender isn't a big deal in relationships. Choosing gender is the end of childhood, the beginning of adulthood. There is something very clever in this point which you will see as the plot progresses.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 AM   #3
CorvusX

I loved this series. The characters, the mood, the music, the philosophy.

It's quite unique.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
DemonRoach
Banned

Default Re: Simoun *

This turned out to be a very boring anime. There is all this suspense into what a simoun actually is, and it does get dramatic,...then you never get the answer. There is a line uttered late late late into the series, something like "We really don't know anything about each other." And you know what? That is exactly true, you never do learn anything personal about ANY of the characters, so when the end comes up, you really dont care about any of them. And this huge war that was being waged, seemed pointless all the way through.
DemonRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Ironfungus
Narumon Z

I can't help but laugh.

What do they tell the girls when they get to 17? "You can bleed for the rest of your life, or not."

Last edited by Ironfungus; 01-06-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Ironfungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
shortlex
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

This is one of the few anime that emphasis on war planes. like Last exile and Yukikaze! I love the series

Brother Frank One of the High Priest of the Sothis Fan Club
shortlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
riotranger
Anime Fan in Training

I'm just starting this one and I'm already more confused than I was watching flcl...

riotranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Mjolnir
Narumon Z

Part of me wishes they'd have kept going, another part of me is actually quite satisfied with the way things turned out.

A few things that really bothered me. [huge spoilers.]

Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
n00bl3t
Experienced Anime Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to n00bl3t

Good anime. I liked it.

Definitely pulled at heart-strings. (Whether it be humour or tragedy.)

The ending could have used just a litte more work though. (It had the length, just needed a better explanatation.))

n00bl3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Roman
Experienced Anime Fan

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but I have to agree with DemonRoach. It is very boring for me. The plot is going nowhere and the characters are dull. On top of that, I am bit repulsed by the messed up world the story is set in. All people are born female here and may become a male after puberty and after visited that spring. At least for the citizens of Simulacrum. All others, it seems, have to have surgery after birth. This and the story just don't fit well, if at all.

Roman is offline   Reply With Quote