FLCL

lagore

[sadht=Furi Kuri]FLCL[/sadht][sadhl=6]FLCL[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

My intense hatred of this series is well known, but I can understand how some people might like it. And it certainly deserves it's own thread. What do you think of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
FLCL is probably my second favorite anime. I judge anime by their rewatchablilty (a word?) and I could watch this one over and over without getting bored. It has a whole bunch of little touches that are very easy to miss so it's like a new experience every time. It has amazing animation (and lets not forget the music) and I love the character design of Canti. It's nice and short so it's gets right to the point without mindless filler type stuff.
Not only that but I love the dub (which is rare)

Much love for FLCL

it is the anatomy of the wtf anime which people either hate or love i love it.
at first i thought they where missing about half of the episodes and where just showing it anyway. plus it has 2 of my all time favorite anime girls ninamori and mamimi. classic characters the superior grown up kid and the space case.

It was a refreshingly unique show... Although, I'm not sure what to say beyond that. It never really stuck with me like it did for many other people.

Just watched FLCL again

Tried it high this time. The animation looked so much more awesome, the music felt better, I noticed a lot more stuff that I wasn't catching before. This show is definitely not safe for work if your boss is smart. But I got a question. WHY THE HELL DID IT MAKE ME FEEL DEPRESSED???

Re: Just watched FLCL again

Despite the randomness of the show, the atmosphere it produces is far from random, its pretty depressing actually. So you were probably feeling what I was feeling or you smoked some bad weed.

Re: Just watched FLCL again

No, it wasn't the weed. The weed just helped me feel it better. The scenes with Mamimi actually were the one's that made me feel even worse. In particular there were these two night scenes with her at the bridge where Naota was walking behind her. But the other parts of the show in between the crazy parts remind me of this feeling I had as a kid. It's a pretty depressing show.

Were you all watching the same FLCL as me? :p
I 'tried' to watch it cuz it was so short, but i actually quit somewhere during ep 4 ^_^;.
Respect for those who're capable of watching it twice! (or more, god help u) that's gotta give some serious braindamage..buuut then again, so will a shitload of that weed.:)

One of the few shows I actually hated and would never watch again.
Everything's only half explained, probably a good thing though because you never given a reason to care about anything.

One of the few shows I actually hated and would never watch again.
Everything's only half explained, probably a good thing though because you never given a reason to care about anything.
Actually, if you bother to re-watch it (I think I've watched it through about 5 times or something) everything is pretty clearly explained. It's just so condensed that you do really need to watch it several times before you get the complete storyline.

Ya, everything is explained, starting from episode 1.

It requires a good amount of attention to spot the answers though.

Most things are given an explanation, true, but the explanations often only lead to further questions.
I mean I got the whole head portal thing as stupid and "just because" the explicating was but I never really got the giant steaming iron.
Or why adding in the needy paedophile was necessary. Oh her Bf is gone/dead lets try and sex up his little brother.. There was already tons of sexual tension from the space chick and his dad.

Most things are given an explanation, true, but the explanations often only lead to further questions.
I mean I got the whole head portal thing as stupid and "just because" the explicating was but I never really got the giant steaming iron.
Or why adding in the needy paedophile was necessary. Oh her Bf is gone/dead lets try and sex up his little brother.. There was already tons of sexual tension from the space chick and his dad.
It's really not all that hard. Haruko's searching for the alien being Atomsk who she's in love with. Atomsk's been captured by Medical Mechanica (a company on the path of galactic domination, the giant iron is a weapon against worlds for them), and Naota's head is the only one that can serve as a portal to pull out various weapons that can free Atomsk. Haruko wants to use him so she first becomes close with Naota's dad, than Naota himself, and Naota being boy starting to go through adolescence totally falls for Haruko. In the end Naota frees Atomsk by letting Atomsk inhabit his body, Haruko calls for him. At the last minute Naota forces Atomsk to leave his body because he wants to find out if Haruko actually cares for him or not. She doesn't, naturally, and she leaves.

As for the other girl hitting on Naota, she's just a depressed girl who was dumped by Naota's brother (who went to the US to play baseball, I'm not sure where you got that he's dead from). She tries to replace Naota's brother with Naota, but recoils from him as soon as he states that he's not his brother and wishes she'd stop treating him like he is.

Good god. Did I just explain the plotline of FLCL without having my head explode?

Edit: Spoiler tags.

I can't find it, but there was this ten page or so essay someone wrote online where he compared the entire show to growing up. If only I knew where it was. =(

I liked this anime. Even though it was super condensed and quirky, I let it pass because of it's ... special charm. I don't know how to really explain it but it was enjoyable and unique.

I liked this anime. Even though it was super condensed and quirky, I let it pass because of it's ... special charm. I don't know how to really explain it but it was enjoyable and unique.

unique is right. Actually I seem to know only those who loath it or love it. I suppose I fall into the latter category myself.

FLCL is re-airing on Adult Swim starting tonight at 2:30 AM EST for anyone who doesn't own it but want's to watch. It's the dub, but the dub is actually great.

I suppose it will air one episode per saturday for 6 saturday's.

Set your DVR's :)

Back