Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Re: Galactic Heroes DVD Box Set

God, that is expensive, I am almost tempted to buy it and save if for when I learn japanese. :p But, I really don't have that much money....

Haha I know the feeling, but still... that's 46 DVDS of entertainment.

HOLY!... thats alot of money. See these are one of the days I am truly greatful for bit torrents and fansubbers.

Looks very sexy (well the description that is). But that's a wooping 13 dollars per episode! Bit to expensive for my taste :D

Yikes, $13 per episode, but I am under the impression that neither of the OVAs are subbed... (Come on, geneon, pick this up. :p)

A bit steep. No, a lot steep.

I would love to see the series since I an a huge fan of large scale space battles. But 2 grand?

Impressive though, that alone is more DVDs of anime then I personally own at this time...

Yikes, $13 per episode, but I am under the impression that neither of the OVAs are subbed... (Come on, geneon, pick this up. :p)

That's not necessarily a bad price/episode in Japan. Electronic media isn't like print media in Japan. It's expensive even during a price cut.

wow, this is really good. just finished season 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it.
i particullarly like the lack of anything flashy or over the top through out the season.

i thought it was interesting how to two main characters essitially go through the same type of problems parallel with one another but in completely different ways. this helps highlight their different style of command which are equal in brilliance but complete opposite...

or maybe thier different styles of command stem from thier own personalities. yang for instance does not want the authority his abilities give him yet still feels committment to do whats best for the people, this often leads to him taking charge only once things have gotten quite perilous. while rienhard is completely ambitious and is a sort of grand architech of political and military strategy.

as they are now they seem like equals, but until yang comes completely into his role and the corruption of the free nations alliance is dealt with, i cant imagine them winning the war.

oh yes, my complaint. its only minor but i thought occationally the strategy of this or that, usually subterfuge political stuff, wasnt given enouph time to make it seem viable.
almost like they had to cut some minor stuff out to make everything fit. i see the train of thought that goes into these strategies, but its like one link here and there is missing or skipped. even then you can understand the whats going on, it just feels a little less believable
(specifically im thinking of the staged rebellion on hessnessn)
that is the only critism i can offer.

oh yes, my complaint. its only minor but i thought occationally the strategy of this or that, usually subterfuge political stuff, wasnt given enouph time to make it seem viable.
almost like they had to cut some minor stuff out to make everything fit. i see the train of thought that goes into these strategies, but its like one link here and there is missing or skipped. even then you can understand the whats going on, it just feels a little less believable
that is the only criticism i can offer.

You are completely right. You have to be a little lenient there, since it would probably have taken another 110 episodes to flesh everything out. ;)
But if you can add a little imagination yourself the whole show works out very well.

SignorRossi.

even then you can understand the whats going on, it just feels a little less believable
That's certainly true.
If memory serves, it's not even entirely clear what benefit Lynch ever brought to the coup to encourage people to instigate it. It's one of the few strategies in the series that I recall lacking that kind of internal logic - but still, the general idea of Reinhard starting a civil war in the Free Planets Alliance to distract them while he goes after the Lippstadt Alliance is certainly a solid one.

Last edited:
Episode 1:

Dry. A little tedious. Too many characters. I hope it picks up, cause I've got 110 more of these to go.

It's not the best beginning.

The film Overture to a New War covers the same battle as the first couple of episodes but with considerably more clarity - featuring the build up and the beginning rather than just jumping into the middle. That and My Conquest is the Sea of Stars are worth watching at some point though not required viewing, the latter covers an event prior to the series that gets mentioned occasionally.

Okay. Cause at the moment it's reminding me a hell of a lot of Banner of the Stars (both seasons) and they started to bore me witless halfway. To the point where I just wanted it to end so bad. Lol. But I am looking forward to it - so far, I've only heard good things. I just don't want too much of this pointless space battling where all you get is lots of talking about strategy, a couple of shots of the map which doesn't really make sense in a multi-dimensional environment, interrupted once in a while by philosophical debate.

God spare us.

I just don't want too much of this pointless space battling where all you get is lots of talking about strategy, a couple of shots of the map which doesn't really make sense in a multi-dimensional environment, interrupted once in a while by philosophical debate.

That is a lot of it but there's considerably more to the show than that. There usually are pretty long stretches between engagements which focus on politics, character development, world building, etc.

Back